Need help with new amp purchase

xabytes

« on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:41 am »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to update my low to mid fi equipment. Since I can't do it all at once I have decided to purchase a new amp and main speakers. I listen mostly about 60/40 music/HT. I will use use my Yamaha receiver as an HT pro.  However, I am really looking for something musical and will compromise on HT (if it is actually a compromise). I have for the most part decided on the Alphas for the speakers and am still clueless about the amp. I have been reading every bit of info I can find, however the more I read the more choices I come across. Anyway I think I have narrowed it down to the following:

Stratos stereo
Aksa 100
White Noise MOS250
Norh LeAmp

I have also also considered tubes:
Norh SE 18
Dodd Amp

I realize some of the above choices are kits. I am willing to build a kit as long as it rivals something premade and not simply as a way to save money (although it helps).

Does anyone have any info on White Noise amps. The reviews for the other amps are for the most part very good. Having said all of this, which do you consider to be the best amp? Has anyone compared any of the above amps or have a recommendation as to what amp I should decide on. Which will have the best sonic qualities?  My budget is about 5K, however I am also planning on gettting a DVD modded and that budget also includes the speakers and cables and IC's. Whatever is left is for the amp. Next on the list is the pre, but will leave that till ????

Anyone with any info or recommendations please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

fred

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2003, 01:52 pm »
I have a Yamaha RXV-995 and upgraded last year to a 3-channel AKSA amp.  I am amazed at the magnitude of improvement.  The AKSA is usually used for 2 channel audio, so I can assure you it performs superbly for that.  For home theater, it also sounds fantastic.  Sometime this year I will build another AKSA for the rear channels.

In the home theater world, adding a 3-channel amp to a HT receiver is a fairly common approach.  Aragon and Bryston are two companies I'm aware of that make such beasts.  Either would cost dramatically more than the AKSA.

Incidentally, my speakers are M&K S150's, which are rated 4-ohm.