SP 2 Setup For Blu Ray

AGP

SP 2 Setup For Blu Ray
« on: 24 Sep 2008, 02:45 pm »
I am looking to purchase a Blu-Ray player what is the recommended setup for 5.1 system.
I am thinking of running 5.1 analog but from what I have read so far optical is the best option. :scratch:
I will not be upgrading my SP2 for at least three years, I will need that long to convince the wife :lol:     

Toka

Re: SP 2 Setup For Blu Ray
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2008, 02:50 pm »
Neither optical nor coax can transmit the HD audio codes (Dolby TrueHD, etc.). If your pre/pro does not process them internally (and the SP2 does not...the upcoming SP3 will...in that case you will need to use HDMI), you need to use the analog outputs of the BR player (assuming the player decodes them internally, but many of them do now).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2008, 03:09 pm »
Toka is correct.  And since you haven't committed to a Blu-Ray player yet, make darn sure the player you get will internally decode both hirez BD codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio, known as DTS HD MA).  They are capable of 24/192 7.1 surround and are truly outstanding audio, but if your player doesn't decode them internally and instead sends them via "bitstream" to a processor for decoding your SP2 will only be left to downsample them signficantly via coax or optical into a lossy Dolby Digital kind of result.  not the end of the world, but not hirez at all.  Instead, choose a BD player that decodes internally and sends the wonderful 24/192 audio as analog hirez surround via 6 or 8 RCA cables to the SP2.  Then later, when you buy an SP3 (or whatever) you'll have a BD player that can do either and a processor that can accept either. You'll eventually likely jettison the 6 or 8 analog cables regardless...cuz in your future setup, whether you choose decoded or un-decoded signal, it will come across digitally via HDMI.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2008, 04:47 pm »
Update:
Based on the AVS Forum's updated audio codec chart, these are your current Blu-Ray choices for players that decode both of the highest rez BD audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA) and therefore make the SP2 useable in mch analog in:
Denon DVD-3800 ($2K)
Panasonic DMP-BD50 ($700)
Marantz BD-8002 ($2K)
Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD ($800)
Pioneer Elite BDP-51FD ($600)
Sony BDP-S550 ($500)

The last three might not yet be released but are scheduled for Aug/Q3.  All the $$ quoted are MSRP.  Street prices are less, of course.

FYI...the vaunted Sony Playstation 3 ($400) decodes both but does not have 5.1 or 7.1 mch analog outs, a requirement for current non-HDMI processors like the SP2.

Edit:  this latecomer looks very promising and is not on the chart...the Panny DMP-BD55K
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Panasonic_DMP-BD55_Blu-ray_Player_Available_for_Pre-Order_399_95.shtml

AGP

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2008, 05:33 pm »
Thanks every one for your quick reply s that's the info I wanted to here. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2008, 09:44 am by AGP »

AGP

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:42 am »
OK have had a look at all the players that offer 7.1 analog out and have decided to go for the Pioneer BDP LX 71 it is the same as the US Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD.
My only concern is the x over is fixed at 120 I am not sure :scratch: if it will work with my speakers I have PMC GB1 front DB1 center is there any thoughts on this?
My sub is Wharfedale SW 250
  Frequency Response: 30Hz-110Hz
  Maximum SPL Crossover: 35Hz-85Hz

Burke

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2008, 05:45 pm »
Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD ($800)
Pioneer Elite BDP-51FD ($600)
Sony BDP-S550 ($500)

The last three might not yet be released but are scheduled for Aug/Q3.  All the $$ quoted are MSRP.  Street prices are less, of course.
The Sony BDP-S550 is now on retailers' shelves (minus the one I bought a couple of days ago) and the store price is substantially less than the list price quoted above.

Of more compelling interest, the Sony BDP-S550 does internally decode the highest rez BD audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA) and, connected in my system with 6 analog audio cables, produces surround sound of exceptionally high quality through the SP-2.

Burke

AGP

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2008, 01:49 pm »
Hi Burke
Thanks for the reply did you have any trouble setting the LFE I have read it is -10

The Sony's x over is set at 100 is that right?

BrystonFan

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2008, 10:49 pm »
Would the same setup apply to a PS3 with the SP2 as that of the Sony BDP-S550 ?