SWP9.0 phono input capacitance?

robinje

SWP9.0 phono input capacitance?
« on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:29 pm »
I want to try a Soundsmith moving iron cartridge, and the specs indicate 47k for resistance and 400pf for capacitance.  I assume the capacitance value includes the tonearm wiring and leads, as well as the phono stage itself.  What is the capacitance a moving iron or moving magnet cartridge would "see" at the phono input jacks on the SWP9.0 phono preamp?

Thanks...   :D

modwright

Re: SWP9.0 phono input capacitance?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2008, 02:02 pm »
We actually don't solder a capacitive load into the phono stage, but we do leave a spot open on the input board for solidering in a specific load value.  I would determine the capacitance of your tonearm/cabling and then determine what is needed.  The input board is easily removed by unscrewing the nuts that hold the RCAs in place and this is also what secures the input board to the unit.  The two empty spots will be obvious and anyone with solder skills can install the custom load for you.  You may also, alternatively, solder the capacitive load directly across (in parallel) with the 47K resistor if you know that this will be the MM load that you will always want.

Thanks,

Dan