Any SACD/DVD-A Surround Sound Enthusiasts out there?

G E

About 2 years ago I finally got a universal disc player and put a toe in the hi-rez waters of SACD and DVD-Audio.  Better late to a party than never get there at all.  I am really enjoying some high quality surround recordings (Hancock's Gershwin's Word, Bryan Ferry's Frantic, Roxy Music's Avalon, various discs by Alison Krauss, Songs for Survivors by Graham Nash, and the Porcupine Tree sets among others).  My front channels are driven by van Alstine FetValve preamp, circa 1993, and the Omega 3 built in a Hafler xl280 chassis circa 1999.  Back channels drive a self built hybrid tube/opamp headphone amp (SOHA circuits) with switching between headphone jack & RCA outs which in turn drives a vintage Sony 3200f power amp that i have had for 3.5 decades.  No center channel, but not missed since I claim the sweet spot.  My goal is to move the power amp to the back channel and replace with the 440hc amp.  I may also replace that headphone amp with an ava unit.  I also have thought about the Bryston SP2 but that takes me to another pricepoint altogether.

And yes, I still have a turntable and enjoy analog sound in two channel. 

I am curious to know how other van Alstine clients are approaching surround music.  Dual preamps?  Multichannel processor with van Alstine power amps? 

ge

Wayner

Re: Any SACD/DVD-A Surround Sound Enthusiasts out there?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:53 pm »
Frank does offer the 240 Insight in a 3 channel configuration. 120 Watts per channel.

Wayner

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:55 pm »
I'm not a Van Alstine client, but LOVE multichannel hirez music, and have quite a bit invested in this wonderful setup, in both hardware and software.  Feel free to PM me or check my system link below and we can chat.  If Van Alstine preamps do not include a processor bypass capability (commonly called HT bypass) then you could always simply calibrate your surround setup via a processor's main l/r outs running into one of your pre inputs, and always have volume on that pre input dialed to say 12 noon (straight up) or some other easily retrievable setting.  

Long live hirez multichannel (be it SACD, DVD-A or Blu-Ray).  :thumb:

weirdo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2008, 08:20 pm »
Frank does offer the 240 Insight in a 3 channel configuration. 120 Watts per channel.

Wayner

Way tempting. I have recently purchased a SACD player and I now have about a dozen discs. I listen in two channel configuration and I am hooked. There is an air around the music and the soundstage is deeper in the middle. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a 3 channel amp to shine. Its possible that some of these changes would be noticed with a good two channel DAC, but the SACD presentation is unique and particularly good for classical music. Got a surgery coming up in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to loading up the player and enjoying some music during recovery. Maybe I could get the insurance company to pay for an amp upgrade as part of my rehab................. worth a try.  

G E

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2008, 11:36 am »

Got a surgery coming up in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to loading up the player and enjoying some music during recovery.

Here is a 2 channel SACD to pick up before then:  Appalachian Journey with Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Mark O'Connor.  Guest artists are James Taylor and Alison Krauss who appear on two and one song(s) respectively.  This is a sublime recording and wonderful music.  The 3 dimensional soundstage will have you looking for the surround channels, it is that good.  Most enthusiastically recommended !  More info here: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/241

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:03 pm »
I appreciate 2ch SACD and once had a Marantz SA8001 SACDP for a while.  I ended up selling it in favor of my 840c.  I wish I still had it and I am thinking about buying the New Marantz SA8003 or the SA-15S2 once I sell my 840c.  The SA8001 had a nice warm sound due to the HDAM circuitry.

I still buy hybrid SACD's because in general they sound better than standard CD's because they tend to be recorded better.

I also like to listen to XRCD's and XRCD24.  The fidelity on these recordings are excellent although they are pricey.