Another positive comment about AVA DACs

avahifi

Another positive comment about AVA DACs
« on: 22 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm »
The writer posted in the general circle so I have taken the liberty of providing a link here where more of you fans might be able to see it.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59681.msg531084;topicseen#new

Big Red Machine

Re: Another positive comment about AVA DACs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2008, 12:59 pm »
I'm gonna plug your DAC into the system today Frank and give her a whirl.  Took a vacation day after all the travelling to catch up on some listening. 

gjs_cds

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2008, 01:22 pm »
Wow--a telling review.  The 840 is a highly regarded cd player, and the American made AVA DAC is.... simply better.

I wish I lived closer to Franks, so I could goof off and listen to his entire product line.  I'm 1000% satisfied w/ the Insight DAC (as they continue to bring me great pleasure and surpass my expectations), but I've never heard any of the tube or ultra gear, and I'm curious!

rustneversleeps

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2008, 03:33 pm »
I too, have a Cambridge Azur, but not the 840.

I've compared my Ultra DAC with my Cambridge Azur for a long time, and now the Azur is being used in my second system.

The reader's description on the Azur is very accurate and I couldn't have said it any better.

I have two British designed CD players, the AMC 8B, and the Cambridge Azur, they both sound very similar, and both cost me $200.00 each during sale price.

They both have the edge on the high treble than the Ultra, therefore, give a more 3 dimensional perception to the listener. But the Ultra offer more bass, better midrange details, and more natural sounding vocal. The British designed CD players have that too, but not as much.

If I had compared these CD players to the Ultra DAC in a stereo store, I would have picked the $200.00 player in a heartbeat due to the huge price difference. But I bought the Ultra DAC as an upgrade and wanted something better, and I've achieved that.

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2008, 04:23 pm »
I thought the comment about the bass in the Insight as compared to the Ultra was interested...seems like the gap between the SS and hybrid lines has been closed a bit...no?

Wally King

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:27 pm »
Is the AVA tube DAC no longer available? I don't see it listed on the website, but I know the website is in the process of being updated.

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2008, 06:33 pm »
I believe it is. When Frank came out with the prices on the Insight upgrades he posted:
Oh yes, the T8 and Ultra DACs are upgradeable to the current shipping versions for $300.00.  The tube and hybrid preamps use completely different circuits that have no relationship to the Insight circuits, thus there are no available upgrades for these products, they are just fine as is.

Frank

It probably got lost in the shuffle of the website upgrade, or by me assuming, I made an........... 8)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2008, 02:13 pm »
I wrote that review of the 840c compared to the DAC's.  I was pleasently suprised that the Solid State DAC had deeper or more pronounced bass compared to the Hybrid.  Frank noticed it too and thought that the Solid state would be a better match for my Magnepans.  I'm going over to his house tomorrow and I'm bringing my Adcom GFR-700 5.1 receiver to see how its preamp sounds running through his amp and to see if I need to buy his preamp, amp and DAC.  I can only afford 2 pieces right now.

Thanks again Frank for letting me audition in your home.

Cheers,
Larry

TomW16

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2008, 08:37 pm »
Hi Larry,

You might want to consider a passive preamp if you can only afford two components.  I was in the same situation a few years ago with an AVA pre and an AVA amp but could only afford one.  I went with the amp and a passive preamp and have never looked back.  The impedences in Frank's gear allow for an effective use of a passive preamp.

Good luck.

Tom

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2008, 08:52 pm »
While Tom's suggestion is noteworthy, I have found a synergy (buzz word) between the amp and preamp that certainly makes the pair inseperable. Of course budgets are very much the water cooler talk as of late, but I think it's important to get these 3 pieces to complete the chain. Frank said he wouldn't increase prices until November, just can't hold back anymore because of part price increases. Everything has had a price increase (a big one). We have also seen this at my work place. I'm sure all of you have seen the same 1% inflation rate (  :lol: :lol: :lol:).

Wayner  aa

gjs_cds

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2008, 12:27 am »
To go along w/ what Wayner writes...  My first AVA (or true "audiophile") purchase was the 440HC.  I didn't think that the pre-amp was as important (and as a doc student, I didn't have the money either).  About 9 months later, I bought a used SS SL chassis pre-amp (direct from Frank), and WOW was I impressed.  That pre-amp breathed new and fresh life into my system.

So while passive pre-amps may be a good short term solution to a limited budget, I cannot stress the importance of a good pre-amp enough.

And checkout the Insight CA.  It's got more than enough power for nearly any reasonable listening room, and it's got in a built-in passive pre-amp to boot. 

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2008, 12:47 am »
There is always the control amp (integrated) for those on a budget.  :)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2008, 01:15 am »
There is always the control amp (integrated) for those on a budget.  :)

Correct, but the Insight SL preamp and Insight 240 together cost $1648.00, only $149.00 or an additional ten percent more, plus the cost of a pair of audio cables, than the CA.  While $149.00 is a certainly a savings, finances and space permitting, I would purchase the separate components rather than the CA.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2008, 06:28 am »
I'm also considering the Parasound Halo A21 amp and matching it with one of Frank's Pre-amps and DAC's.
My dilemma is that I have a Home theater system with my Magnepans as the Front channels and I want to continue to be able to use the Maggies for HT and 2ch use.  That means I have to be able to use the Adcom for HT and a separate amp for 2ch using a niles audio amp switcher which can handle high power and that can be 12Vdc triggered.  Unfortunatley Frank's equipment does not have a 12V trigger out but the Parasound does.  There are other ways around this but its more complicated and more money.  Its not the best situation but I have to work with it.  I've found an A21 for $200 off the regular price of $2K.  There is also a used 550exr amp for $1100 and another $600 for Frank to upgrade to current model specs.  I'll make my decision tomorrow after I meet with Frank.  I'm sure it will be fine either way I go- Parasound A21 with the Hybrid Preamp and DAC or the used 550exr, hybrid preamp and DAC.

Any Parasound Halo owners here?   

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a21.php

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=SPK-1&recordID=Automated%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Automated%20Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00240