Olive Opus 5

raywin

Olive Opus 5
« on: 22 Sep 2008, 08:06 am »
After purchasing an Opus 5 at the end of 2007, I was stunned to watch as Olive seemed to 'disown' it a few months later, releasing the Opus 4 (with a vastly improved interface) and removing all mention of the Opus 5 from their website. Does anyone have any information on planned software/firmware upgrades for the Opus 5? It seems a bit tough for a new product to have a shelf life of only a few months.

jaspal kallar

Re: Olive Opus 5
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2008, 12:41 pm »
I was wondering if anybody has bought the Opus 4 (or 5) could comment on it's digital out performance to an external dac ?  Does it stand up to say cd transports upto $4000?

Thanks

jaspal

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2008, 02:18 am »
I do know the Opus 6 will be out to replace the 5. Other than that I'm not much help here.

jaspal kallar

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2008, 09:08 am »
I do know the Opus 6 will be out to replace the 5. Other than that I'm not much help here.

Does anybody know of any other similar components like the Opus 4/5 that are also quiet and with price up to $2500?

Thanks

jaspal

RichardS

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2008, 11:57 am »
I use a couple Olive Musicas, one modded by Red Wine Audio and one stock. I haven't compared to $4K transports, but I've been very happy with both of them using the digital outs. They provide the advantages of a hard disc--stored-in-RAM--computer drive without needing connection to a conventional computer. The mods improve things, but the stock one compares favorably with modded transports I've used from Modwright and Empirical, and almost as good as a Philips Pro2m-based transport I have. Very smooth and detailed through the mids, if maybe slightly light in the bass.

A professional review (though just one man's opinion) can be seen here:
http://www.dagogo.com/RedWine-OliveMusica.html

If you're lazy like me, get a Nokia 770 to use as a remote so you can sift through your whole music collection from your listening seat. I think the Olive products are fairly unique, as a stand-alone product, though if you're tempted to use a computer the Sonos products provide a wonderful remote, and there are now mods being offered to improve the digital out.

As far as being orphaned, Raywin, I don't see it that way. Progress marches on, especially with computers. My unit is previous to yours and I'm still quite happy with it, and have received quick and detailed help from their Tech team when needed. Just last month I downloaded an updated operating system from the website. Contact them. Maybe ?? the newer improved interface can be used with your player ??

Richard

egoss

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2008, 04:09 pm »
After purchasing an Opus 5 at the end of 2007, I was stunned to watch as Olive seemed to 'disown' it a few months later, releasing the Opus 4 (with a vastly improved interface) and removing all mention of the Opus 5 from their website. Does anyone have any information on planned software/firmware upgrades for the Opus 5? It seems a bit tough for a new product to have a shelf life of only a few months.

Raywin - If you can handle reading the 900+ posts (!!!!) in this Forum, try:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405

All you needed to know about Olive products, and some stuff you might not want to hear. I'm a happy Olive Symphony user, but I wouldn't have been without the help of the great guys on that thread.

Cheers,
Ed

raywin

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:09 am »
Thanks for all your comments. To Richard S, I waited through 1 year of delays until Olive released the Opus 5, as their newest model. For them to drop it with no upgrade path within 5 months of release is not my idea of product support, or reasonable product life, even for a computer-based product. I will follow them up again, based on your experience and see what happens.   

PLMONROE

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2008, 01:52 pm »
I certainly hope the rumor is unfounded and untrue but because of bad decisions as evidenced above, and the economy Olive's future looks bleak.   :(