OB/7 Bypass Caps

Nick77

OB/7 Bypass Caps
« on: 21 Sep 2008, 08:29 pm »
This topic seems to be at the forefront of numerous threads. I thought I would post my most recent experience with a bypass cap.
I built my pair of OB/7's a few months back and opted for a platinum in the tweeter circuit only. I have unsurpassed clarity in the highs that sometimes I have to remind myself that's its information that I not used to hearing so clearly, and have to fight the notion their a tad bright. I believe there are perfectly balanced and I am relearning my listening experience. My point is I had the Platinum from the beginning and so I am unable to compare with or without but I have found a whole new respect for bypass caps.

Thru another thread and a email with Danny I discovered that several Gen2 bypass caps were included with the kit for the mid and bass circuit. But there are several other opportunities to use bypass caps. One additional in the mid and the one in the tweeter circuit where I already have the Platinum.
Danny explained to me that you might get a little more detail by bypassing the 10uf cap in the mid circuit with a gen2 but certainly could take it up a notch or two with a platinum. Well I figured I would first give the Gen2 a shot since that costs under ten bucks. I wasn't prepared to make it a sixty dollar experiment anyway.

Well I received a pair a Gen2 bypass caps this week from Danny and just put them in and the difference was quite noticeable. I have quite a bit more clarity in the mids. It is most evident in female voices, for example I love Paul Hardcastle V where their are some female voices singing softly in the background that used to just blend in with the music and had to strain to hear. Now the voices are clearly delineated and a part of the soundtrack. Also in the mix of female voicing you can now hear very plainly all the extra tracks of the artist voice woven in to make it sound like backup singers. Dania Kralls voice has taken on a new level of appeal and clarity.

I haven't even broke these in yet so they might improve futher. Anyway my point is if you don't have all these bypass caps installed you are missing a huge treat of clarity and information in the soundtrack. I cant hardly imagine what some more Platinum's would do.
I have heard Bill from Response Audio say numerous time's its possible to take these speakers to another level, now I believe it for myself. And I am only using entry level electronics and yet enjoying a nice ten dollar tweak. Highly recommend!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

Re: OB/7 Bypass Caps
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2008, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for posting the feedback Nick.