What's everyone using for tubes in their Cornet?

pretzel_logic

« on: 13 Nov 2003, 11:10 pm »
Right now I'm using a GE 5814 in the 12AU spot, GE 5751 grey plates in the AX spot, and an RCA 5Y3GT for the rectifier.  I don't have that many tubes to try yet but so far I like what I'm using.  I have very good tight bass it seems and the highs are clear and not rolled off or overly bright.  The mids seem very good as well and I don't seem to be losing anything.  I did just make some sandboxes for my Klipsch KLF 10's though and am getting used to that but so far I like using them for my situation.  I have a very bouncy floor and it seemed to absorb the very low frequencies and bloat the midbass.

I also need to get some tube dampers as well, have heard they work wonders.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Cornet.  I used multicaps throughout except for the electrolytics.  Eventually I want to try the CCS though am not sure exactly how yet, have to find some time to figure it out, am not too good at reading schematics yet.

Will try to get some pics as well but for the most part it looks like the stock unit but I used black Hammerite.

Brian

GRD

« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2003, 11:57 pm »
Mine has 40 hours on it, but I have tried Tungsol, Japanese (Toshiba), and JJ for the 12AU7.  For the 12AX7 I have tried GE 5751 5-Star Grey plates, Raytheon, Svetlana, and JJ's.  The rectifier is Sylvania.  I have an RCA rectifier on order and an RCA Cleartop AU7.

The two combinations I like so far are Tungsol/Raytheon or all JJ's.  At this point, the JJ's are my slight preference.  I know, heresy.  

Cornet is stock except for Auricaps in C5 and C6.
TT is MMF 5 (Goldring 1012)
Amp is Classe CAP 151
Speakers are Sonus Faber Grand Piano (old version, not Home)
Speaker cables are Audioquest Mont Blanc
Interconnect is Audioquest Diamondback

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2003, 12:17 am »
I am currently using:

Sovtek 12AX7LPS (long plate spiral)
50's vintage GE JG-5814A, Black Plate, square getter
CBS CHY 5Y3WGTA

I have tried JJs, and EI Elites for the 12AX7s.

I have tried JJ, EI Elite, NOS Raytheon, and Amperex Bugle Boy for 12AU7. Nothing has come close to the GE (Thanks Larry!!)

I have just ordered in some Sylvania 5Y3WGTA (1960's) black-plate, brown-base  and a pair of 50's RCA 12AX7s. I also found a couple more of the JG-5814As.  :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2003, 01:03 am »
I use GE rectifier, Tungsram 12AX7's, and a GE JG-8514A NOS (nothing special) on the 12AU7.

I went from a cheap ass Continental (made in Japan) u7 to the GE and got lots of air around instruments.

tianguis

A Few Caveats
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2003, 01:52 am »
Hi, all:
       It's interesting to hear all your takes on tubes. I agree with them all. However, I can't overemphasize the necessity of pin cleaning. I've rejected a number of NOS older tubes which I've tried in the Cornet (noise, tube rush, microphonics) prematurely. These were all tubes which tested well. After mechanically cleaning the pins, I haven't rejected a single one!
       A few thoughts on the GE 5814A and WA: the only ones which live up to the current hype here are black-plate, triple-mica rectangular getters from 1956 and earlier. I agree with Wayne about how they sound, but other later gray-plates with round getters aren't even in the same league.
      I'm using Tungsram ECC83's. I like the GE 5751's, but only (once again!)  triple-mica black-plates from the '50's. Very detailed, but not as dynamic as the Tungsrams, which are also detailed but also deliver a lot of bang for the buck.
      Any of the Sylvania 5Y3WGTA's, brown-base black-plates from the '50's or '60's sound great, and I've got Mullard GZ-32's and 34's for comparison.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2003, 03:28 am »
I'm using some Sylvania X7's and a U7 that came out of old Tek scope stock (RCA) or a 5814A from some Beckman test equipment (I think Philips manufacture).  RCA or Sylvania 5Y3.

jh :)

penance

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2003, 07:45 am »
ive not tried many,
Rectifier is a Mazda 5Y3GB and the 82 and 83's are NOS Mullard
the Mullards went in a few days ago, replaceing Golden Dragons. Much prefer the Mullards for a fuller and more detailed sound:)

RogueAngel

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:57 pm »
My compliment is based on the octal version. Baseline started with Jan Phillips tubes in all positions. Great sound that just stomped the Rotel it replaced. Ofcourse you just can't leave it as-is, nope got to roll some tubes.  :D

Final compliment is as follows:

V1: VT-229 Tung-sol with brown base, black round plates, and a graphite coating.

V2: Remains the 5691/6SL7GT '80s JAN Philips tubes. Black based tube is the Philips version of the famed RCA Special Red Series type, featuring the same stainless steel support rods, large plate structures and other detail refinements.

V3: swapped to a 6SN7GTB, Sylvania Yellow Label with black plates, top getter with a small silver getter flash.

and finally,

V4: swapped out to a Bendix CEA 6106 which is an aerospace version of the 5Y3GT which uses a cathode type structure instead of a filament structure. http://www.the-planet.org/pdf/6106s.pdf

The sound is now beyond my wildest dream for how my system would sound. Best description of how it sounds: "throw out all your adjectives and replace it with jaw droppingly good music."  :D

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm a happy satisfied customer!!!!

tianguis

Cornet Tubes Redux
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2003, 12:23 am »
Hi, all:
      Saw the recent thread on tubes and I also happened to get in a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS's today.
     As an early (?) proponent of the 5751's, especially the black-plate GE JG's from the early '50's, I'd since switched to '60's Tungsrams after hearing a pair A/B'd in Wayne's room at VSAC. That was one of those moments when you turn to someone and you both have the same look on your face (as in, HOLY ****).
      I gotta say, these Sovteks have left me even more speechless, even after only five hours or so. After some early harshness and drop-out at frequency extremes, they're now nicely rounded out. However, they're picking out details in the mid-range melange I've never heard on some LP's I'm very familiar with. They're also producing bass and harmonics of treble notes I've never noticed before. My wife, Jane, said she'd never heard such a dramatic change through tube rolling, and I agree.
      Her comment was that there was way more "presence" which I attribute to the big change in sound stage I'm hearing. At the price ($10.95/pair) it's the most bang for the buck I've experienced. I realize most folks feel that rolling 12AU7's makes the most difference, but this was bigger than rolling any of those (and I'd been through a pile before happening on the GE's).
      I'm still using a GE JG-5814A black-plate triple-mica 1953 tube. Rectifier is a Syl Gold 5Y3WGTA.
      I realize that there are many iterations of the Cornet out there. Certain tubes and caps may work in one and not another. I guess that's what makes it a horse race.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2003, 02:00 am »
Where did you get these Sovteks for $10.95 pr  ?

Thanks

pretzel_logic

Sovtek 12AX7LPS
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2003, 05:41 pm »
That's very interesting about the Sovtek tubes.  I have been using GE5751's and really wasn't satisfied though they also aren't black plates.  I just popped in some little used EH12AX7's and they weren't nearly as good as the 5751's.  I'm going to order a pair of the Sovteks, Triode Electronics has them for $9.95 or $23.90 for a matched pair.  Not sure if matching is needed, have heard it doesn't matter.

Will post how they sound in a few days,

Brian

Ivan303

Re: Cornet Tubes Redux
« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2003, 05:54 pm »
Quote from: tianguis
Hi, all:
      Saw the recent thread on tubes and I also happened to get in a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS's today.
     As an early (?) proponent of the 5751's, especially the black-plate GE JG's from the early '50's, I'd since switched to '60's Tungsrams after hearing a pair A/B'd in Wayne's room at VSAC. That was one of those moments when you turn to someone and you both have the same look on your face (as in, HOLY ****).
      I gotta say, these Sovteks have left me even more speechless, even after only f ...

Yes, Those might have been my Tungsrams in we tried in Waynes Cornet.

Did sound great, perhaps almost as good as the Trumpet :wink:

Do have to remember the Bent Audio S&B step-up, and that new all wood Teres TT with Schroeder arm.  Am sure they helped a bit.

Keven Deal at Upscale Audio has the Tungsrams at $35 each IIRC.  $10 Sovtecs sound like a better deal :D

Would REALLY like to build a Cornet with Octal tubes.  Can't imagin anything sounding better than Waynes Cornet for anything CLOSE to DIY money.  

What a deal. :!:

Marbles

Re: Cornet Tubes Redux
« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2003, 06:04 pm »
Quote from: Ivan303

Would REALLY like to build a Cornet with Octal tubes.  Can't imagin anything sounding better than Waynes Cornet for anything CLOSE to DIY money.  

What a deal. :!:

Thanks, that was my Cornet that Wayne had for modding.
After Vsac, Wayne changed the wiring to Bolder Nitro, added Bybees at the inputs and installed S&B TX103's inside the unit to have the shortest and best connections.

I am very content with the sound  :wink:

It does match my Teres very well  :mrgreen: