What to Use to Clean/Dust/Polish Your Omegas

kbuzz3

What to Use to Clean/Dust/Polish Your Omegas
« on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:19 am »
Sort of an "off the board topic" but i don't recall this topic on this or any other boards and ive seen alot more "anal retentive esoteric audio posts. So what have folks used to clean and polish their wood non laminate omegas? Im guessing but I assume using Pledge is probably not a great thing for veneers but thats just speculation.

How about Howard's or on of the natural beeswax products? Both have pretty good reputations for skipping silicone using "natural" ingredients and nourishing rather then causing long term harm to the wood. Here are some thoughts:

Howard Feed n wax: http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm
Daddy van's all natural beeswax: http://www.daddyvans.com/
Craftsman Polish: http://www.thecraftsman.com/polish.php

Or there are about 20 examples of polish, "spray wax" or beeswax here:  http://www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=51

rodge827

Re: What to Use to Clean/Dust/Polish Your Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:36 am »
Hi kbuzz,

Louis reccommended using Cabinet Majic, it can be found at H-depot and Lowes.

Chris

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:45 am »
thanks for the reply was majik a typo or did you mean "cabinet magic" like this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=206213-82-CMT

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:59 am »
Pledge is not recommended for fine woods as it leaves a "waxy build-up." Ask your wife.

Since the '70s, I have used Lemon Oil. The latest bottle I've gotten is Holloway House, but that's because it is carried  in the local Wal-Mart. I would imagine any kind of Lemon Oil would work.

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:08 pm »
 :duh: Yes, Cabinet Magic. I forgot to use spell check, and then there was the red wine.......

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:32 pm »
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/cabinet-magic-cabinet--woodwork-cleaner-p-2888.html?ref=42

If your looking for a DIY type product....
try "mayonnaise" as a cleaner/polisher...don't laugh....it works.... :wink:

Adriel

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2008, 10:47 pm »
Probably best to just use a duster or swipe off with a cloth.

Don't want to put stuff on, alter the sound.

Wood does not need anything. Otherwise there would never be any antiques if it required constant, putting-stuff-in.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2008, 11:38 pm »
Probably best to just use a duster or swipe off with a cloth.

Don't want to put stuff on, alter the sound.

Wood does not need anything. Otherwise there would never be any antiques if it required constant, putting-stuff-in.

Actually im not a expert in wood, but i think its pretty well known that wood should occasional benefit from an all natural emollient of some kind. Im not sure if this applies to audio speakers, hence my post. By I do know from first hand that alot of my non-shellacked wood furniture pieces have shown very positive effects of beeswax or similar non silicone products. What you dont want generally peaking is something that destroys or harms the patina.  I do wonder if a cleaner/polish/wax would actually alter the sound of the cabs? Probably not in this case.

Funny that Louis recommends the cabinet magic as for "fine wood" as opposed to say kitchen cabinets it looks like it might have some harsher solvents...but again not sure hence the post. Ill try and google it to see whats in it

My particular veneer is a one off "mahogany" or "teak" colored veneer that LC matched to my existing amoire. It has a flat finish and does not -- to these uneducated eyes -- see to have any poly or laquer finish but i could be mistaken
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2008, 03:00 am by kbuzz3 »

Carl V

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2008, 12:37 am »
What matters most is what Omega speakers are finished with in the 1st place.

If it's a Poly...Lemon oil isn't gonna do ya much good ...it'll make it shiny & oily.

If he's shooting a catylayzed laquer...that cabinet magic won't be of much use.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2008, 09:32 pm »
I talked to Louis when I got my Compact Hemps. They have a finish on them (poly or lacquer or something), so there is really no wood to 'absorb' wood polish or other gunk. IMHO: Lightly dampen a very soft cotton rag (my favorate are old 'T' shirts). Wipe gently with the grain. Your speakers should stay looking great for years. Kent

Christof

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:22 pm »
I know a couple high-end cabinet guys who recommend  Bona cleaner.  It will work with all film type finishes.  Depending on what type and how much of a film finish is on your speakers, using an oil/wax cleaner may find it's way through the film and discolor the wood.  Look for it at most hardware stores.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:40 pm »
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/cabinet-magic-cabinet--woodwork-cleaner-p-2888.html?ref=42

If your looking for a DIY type product....
try "mayonnaise" as a cleaner/polisher...don't laugh....it works.... :wink:

From Ace Hardware, I use Howard's Golden Oak Restore-A-Finish and Howards Feed-N-Wax on my Odyssey Lorelei oak veneers. They seem to love it. Howards makes Restore-A-Finish for a number of different woods.

Cheers,
Robin

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:41 pm »
You're not likely doing any good putting any emollient or oil on a speaker. Modern finishes are not permeable, nothing is going to penetrate to the wood underneath. If you want to put a little wax or polish on for looks, that's one thing. Just don't think you're nourishing the wood. The best thing you can do for your wood of all kinds is to keep humidity levels from getting too low and keep it out of direct sunlight. Non-catalyzed lacquers are slightly permeable, that's why that type of finish can get water rings and spots. But I still doubt wax, oil, or similar substances can actually migrate through the finish film into the wood. Tung oil, Danish oil, and rubbed wax finishes would be the only finshes that I'd think would be permeable to any degree. You're not likely to encounter these finshes in anything but artisan crafted furniture though.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:09 am »
You're not likely doing any good putting any emollient or oil on a speaker. Modern finishes are not permeable, nothing is going to penetrate to the wood underneath. If you want to put a little wax or polish on for looks, that's one thing. Just don't think you're nourishing the wood. The best thing you can do for your wood of all kinds is to keep humidity levels from getting too low and keep it out of direct sunlight. Non-catalyzed lacquers are slightly permeable, that's why that type of finish can get water rings and spots. But I still doubt wax, oil, or similar substances can actually migrate through the finish film into the wood. Tung oil, Danish oil, and rubbed wax finishes would be the only finshes that I'd think would be permeable to any degree. You're not likely to encounter these finshes in anything but artisan crafted furniture though.

Yep, your right, you don't want to overdo this stuff as your could actually do more harm than good. I treat my Lorelei's twice a year with these products and simply dust them regularly with a clean cotton cloth. I have very limited humidity up here in Vermont but the house gets mightly dry during the winter so I feel the orange/beeswax combo of Howards Feed-N-Wax does the veneer good, once in the fall and again in the spring. It's what's been working for me for 4 years now and like I said my Lorelei's oak veneer seems to love it. :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

bprice2

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:55 am »
The finish is a catalyzed 2 part and very strong. All you need to do is wipe them with a damp cloth.

This was posted in another thread a while back...on the King's birthday.