Jeff Korneff 45 SET tube amplifier for sale ~ SOLD

-Richard-

Jeff Korneff 45 SET tube amplifier for sale ~ SOLD
« on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:30 am »
Finances compel me to sell my incredible Jeff Korneff 45 Single Ended Triode, Class A, Zero Feedback Amplifier

Less than a year ago, Jeff Korneff built for me an entirely new version of his very famous and highly sought after 45 Tube Single Ended Triode amplifier. Everything Jeff has learned in over 20 years of refining this outrageously holographic sounding SET amplifier has gone into it... the parts are fantastic... the transformers and the entire amplifier is built to last the centuries. And I have sensitively cared for this gorgeous example of the art of no-feedback, Class A Triode design using the magical 45 tube, with the care one bestows on a new born child.

This is a 2.5 watt Single Ended Triode amplifier that can rock your house if you have sensitive speakers and an active preamp... although I also used it with a passive Luminous preamplifier driving my 96 db sensitive Open Baffle speakers.

I do not know how to post pictures on AC... it is a stunning black with a beautifully proportioned balanced design... you can see an earlier version of Jeff's 45 SET amplifier here... mine is many times more beautiful.

http://www.stereomanuals.com/yourpages/images/korneff/jk45-rear.jpg

I payed $2000 for it (plus $200 for NOS RCA 45 tubes) and I am selling it for $1600... it is in perfect condition... I am including 2 barely used NOS RCA 45 tubes along with the complete tube set of 2 6SN7 octal tubes and a 5Z3 rectifier tube.

Please call me if you are interested in being the second owner of this legendary amplifier that Srajan of 6 moons says is one of the best 45 SET amplifiers in the world. I will be posting in Audeogon very soon.

Bass is deep, solid, articulate, powerful... this amplifier is dynamic as hell!!!!!! The high frequencies are clear and accurate and the mid-range is fantastic. This new version of the Jeff Korneff SET amplifier has all the colors of a rich array of gem-stones and the harmonic complexity rivals live instruments... the presentation is pure holographic 3-D!!!! And the Jeff Korneff 45 Single Ended Triode, Class A, Zero Feedback Amplifier is incredibly quiet.

"..the 45 gave the impression of more power due to it's more engaging and dynamic personality. It's masterful at revealing ambiance, nuance and inner detail with exceptional bass control while adding nothing."

It will be shipped double-boxed with impeccable padding. The buyer pays for shipping.

Please call me if you are interested: 805.640.0532

Here are some spec's for those interested:
Class A Single Ended Triode, using 45 output tubes, a pair of 6SN7 drivers and a 5Z3 rectifier. The amp delivers 2.5 WPC @ 8ohm with zero feedback. Materials used include:
- Electroprint Output Transformers
- Shielded Power Transformer
- Mundorf caps
- Kimber RCA jacks
- All wiring is point-to-point.
- Separate Hum Balance Pots for fine tuning
- Special Slow-Start Switch that guarantees long-life to the 45 tubes

Thanks for looking. Warmest Regards ~ Richard
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2008, 06:25 pm by -Richard- »

jkelly

Re: Jeff Korneff 45 SET tube amplifier for sale ~
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2008, 11:34 am »
The force is strong with this one!

Jeff

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2008, 02:02 pm »
I sold my Yamamoto a while back out of financial necessity but kept the 45 bottles because I KNEW I'd have a 45 again.  Unfortunately the time is not here yet.   :cry:

Good luck with your sale Richard.

-Richard-

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:09 pm »
Hi Jeff ~

Nicely said!!!! Jeff Korneff is a marvelous guy and an impeccable designer... his circuit design is a work of art... one of the genuine true gentleman of the audio world... truly a pleasure to work with.

Hi Mike ~

Once a world-class 45 SET tube amplifier like the Yamamoto and Korneff plays in your life, it leaves an indelible impression of rich harmonics and 3-D holographic sound that never goes away. Our time will come again!!!

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2008, 06:04 pm »
Richard,

Sorry to see you having to part with these.  If I didn't have a brand new Vaughn Carina here I'd snap these up in a second.

As it is, I'm thinning the herd to acquire a few final pieces that will be with me for the long haul.

I looked at all the vendors coming to this year's RMAF, and justdecided that there were only a couple of pieces I had any real interest in hearing, and that the main thing I'm going for is the socializing with all the other audio crazies.  Both systems are just on the verge of what I want them to be and the route from here to there is pretty clear.

Good luck with the sale.

-- Jim

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2008, 06:58 pm »
Here is the picture.

Good luck on your sale Richard.

Best, Anand.

-Richard-

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2008, 08:49 pm »
Hi Jim ~

Nice to see you here... and very nice to hear that you are so close to your audio goals. No one can ever accuse you of not having the indefatigable energy it takes to master the quest for the perfect audio sound. If I did not find myself in need of releasing some funds right now, I would keep the uncanny-holographic-master-of-tone-Korneff Single Ended Triode forever.

Hi Anand ~

Thanks so much for posting a version of the latest Korneff 45 Single Ended Triode, Zero Feedback, Class A Amplifier. Jeff loves the classic look of this deep-black well-proportioned bullet-proof designed SET amplifier... and so does my wife Deborah (who is designer) and myself. It is quite elegant in its design statement about musical authority and control... which it has in spades. The actual amplifier is a deep rich black... in this photo is looks a bit grey... probably a flash camera was used which has a tendency to overexpose the black surface.

Again... thanks Anand... very kind of you to help out!!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2008, 12:08 am »
Richard,

No problem. I always will have a soft spot for tubeophiles. We need to support each other! I'm currently working on a 12B4a single ended parafeed amplifier myself. Will post in the Lab section when done. But in the meantime...somebody help Richard out here! The 45 is a magnificient direct heated triode, some say the holiest.

Anand.

RodMCV

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2008, 02:03 pm »
PM sent.
Thanx,
Rod

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm »
Boy oh boy ... if I was further on my room and thinking of heading back to SET/hi-eff ....  aa

Had a Fi and really liked it, but wanted to try one of these. Reputed to be just wonderful!

Somebody please buy this before I go crazy and put it in 'inventory'

-Richard-

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2008, 11:53 pm »
Hi Inscrutable ~

One of our fellow AC members... the impeccable Doctor Steven Rayle, who seems to have the frustrating habit of choosing the best audio gear without fail, came over with among other things his Fi 2A3/45 tube monoblocks. The sound lived up to its reputation... a classic!

The Jeff Korneff Single Ended 45 Tube Amplifier sounds quite different... for one thing the Fi has a bit of an "older" sound in the sense that the lower mid-range to bass frequency range is voluptuous... I found the actual mid-range and higher frequencies less convincing... not much sparkle in the upper frequencies... Jeff's amp is incredibly articulate over the entire frequency range and the bass is tight articulate and pitch-perfect... the midrange is velvety smooth... a natural warmth that allows voices to sound intimate and thoroughly present without any sonic artifice... the upper frequencies sparkle the way you want your music to sound... when the Miles's trumpet bites... you hear the bite.

The 45 tube was one of the first commercial tubes made... before the 2A3 and 300B (made to project more sound in the commercial cinema theaters) and it was perfect... linear in a way that no other SET tube is... never syrupy... never tubey... it is the perfect balance between highly articulate detailed musical textures and the holographic 3-D spatial dimension that makes SET amplification the highest art in tube amplifier design.

Also: the 45 tube... especially the new Emission Labs Solid Plate Soft Start 45 tubes... are the most powerful 2.5 watts you will ever hear... especially in Jeff's SET amplifier which uses huge transformers to store energy reserves that maintain their stability even under the most demanding musical passages... in fact I do not use an active preamplifier with the Jeff Korneff SET 45 Amplifier... I use a passive Luminous cigarette-sized NO GAIN "preamplifier" with Jeff's 45 SET to drive my 4 ohm resistance 96db Open Baffle speakers and I have to turn down the sound, because on some recordings it would blow Deborah and I out of our living space! This is one powerful 45 SET amplifier.

I am waiting for a check from an AC member that is very interested in being the second owner of this almost new Jeff Korneff SET amplifier... in fact it is not fully burned-in yet! Believe me... the mystique surrounding Jeff's 45 SET design is the real thing!

smccull

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
Richard,

Is there any chance the transformer windings can be adjusted to run on 240V current in the UK?

Steve

-Richard-

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:16 pm »
Hi smccull/Steve ~

That is a question best answered by Jeff. Being the magician that he is, I don't see why he couldn't adapt his amp to run at 240V.

I am waiting for a check to arrive from an AC member seriously interested in being the second owner of this almost-new Jeff Korneff 45 SET amplifier. Once the check clears I will post a "sold" on this thread... if that does not happen for some reason I will also post that information for everyone who is interested in being the second owner of Jeff's amplifier.

Thanks, Steve, for expressing an interest in Jeff's Single Ended Triode masterpiece/Zero Negative Feedback/Class A/45 Tube Amplifier.

smccull

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2008, 06:09 pm »
Thanks Richard! I'm very interested as a backup if the adjustment can be made.

Steve

-Richard-

Re: Jeff Korneff 45 SET tube amplifier for sale ~ SOLD
« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2008, 06:24 pm »
The Jeff Korneff Single Ended Triode 45 Tube Amplifier has been sold.

A very big thank you to all the Audio Circle members who were seriously interested in being the second owner of this legendary SET amplifier.

Deborah and I listened to it for 2 days to make certain everything was working perfectly and the sound is exquisite. I have had many SET amplifiers in my home in the last few years and nothing... nothing comes even close to sounding as uncannily gorgeous and holographic 3-D as Jeff's amp does.

Thanks Mark... I know you will find your new Jeff Korneff amplifier an extraordinary addition to your audio and musical life.

jrebman

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2008, 06:35 pm »
Congratulations Richard, on finding a new home for the JK45.

I offer my consolation as I too am having to make some very difficult decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of as there is no way now that I can afford to keep feeding a two-system habit, and we'll have to start looking for a one-floor living situation sooner rather than later.

And congrats to the new owner -- you've got a real gem there.

--Jim

-Richard-

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2008, 07:18 pm »
Hi Jim ~

It is always a great pleasure to hear from you... your own investigations into the mysteries and magic of audio has been indefatigably persevering, sensitive and thoughtful.

May I also congratulate you as well on your recent marriage. What a wonderful new beginning for you and your lucky bride.

It sounds like you are planning on moving soon... an often frightfully stressful event. I hope that goes smoothly for you both... in any case you seem to have that rare ability to bring a great deal of harmony into your life.

Your right about the Korneff... it really is a gem... like you, I will not purchase anything audio related that is not a proven classic design.

I always read all of your posts with the greatest interest, Jim. Keep up the great work!!!!