educate me: Super 5 vs Compact Hemp

keenween

educate me: Super 5 vs Compact Hemp
« on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:00 am »
As someone relatively new to audio, I've been enjoying reading about different speaker designs - single driver included.

Can someone clue me in on what sonic differences these two models might present? Or what advantages/disadvantages they have over each other? Perhaps they each work best in different environments and that could be explained. I'm just looking to learn. Thanks for any info!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: educate me: Super 5 vs Compact Hemp
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2008, 05:43 am »
I have the XRS, and another ac member living near me had the MaxHemps... I have had a chance to listen to both with the same amp, and its difficult for me to decide which I prefer although they are very different in some ways. Basically, the 8" drivers sound full and warm, but the 4.5" drivers are faster, a little more detailed, and probably more neutral overall.... but they can be pretty ruthless with poorly recorded material sometimes.   My preference changes with mood and what kind of music is on. Your choice of equipment and cabling would probably be different between the two. We tried a couple of ICs with both speakers, one was a single strand of 28g Jupiter silver for the signal wire, otherwise it was a copy of the anti cable IC. The other was 8 strands of 28g copper in a counter-rotating helix. The copper IC sounded  lot bigger and warmer and was clearly preferable with the XRS, but the silver IC was a better match for the MaxHemps, the colder, clearer sound of that IC balanced the warmth of the Max's better.   

I think the new 6.5" Alnico driver speakers (theres a bookshelf and an XRS model, like the 4.5" line) will split some of the differences, and it should be better than either the 4.5" or the 8" ferrite motored drivers. I think the bookshelf model is right around $2k, I will eventually buy a pair. If I couldn't afford those, I'd go with the Super5 for 1/2 the price. 

Also, the amp makes a huge difference, Louis can recommend some good ones... KT88/6550 or 6L6 SET and EL84 amps seem to work really well with the Omegas. I honestly wouldn't consider a SS amp unless its a temporary measure, or you have a lot of cash and can afford Pass or RWA amps, for example. I'd rather have the 4.5" driver speakers and a good amp than spend all my cash on the 6.5 or 8" speakers...     

el dub

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2008, 12:18 pm »
The bookshelf model of the 6.5" alnico cost me a lot less than $2000. If'n I remember correctly, the pair of speakers and a deep hemp cube ran just over two grand. Btw, they are too big for most bookshelves, imo.

We're really digging these speakers hooked up to a manley stingray. Twenty watts in triode mode is plenty to drive these units.

Matter of fact, we like them enough that I'll probably be purchasing another pair of floorstanders to replace the silverlines in the living room.

lw

Hank Murrow

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:36 pm »
Dear Keenween;

I have had a pair of the Super 5s in my pottery studio for several months now and I'm driving them with a Glow One amp which has EL84 tubes for 5 watts of SET power for $488. I love the sound after a long break-in period, and the USB/DAC input makes it easy to listen to internet feeds from my laptop. There are two earlier threads about the Super 5s, so check them out also. Glow has released a new/improved DAC and they are sending me one to replace the original in my amp for free. Good People! Louis placed the ports for my Super 5s on the outside panels and made beautiful figured Ash cabinets. Bravo, Louis!

el dub

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:53 pm »
Hey, Hank. Thanks for the Glow One tip.

When we get around to purchasing a sytem for the computer room, the Glow One appears to be what I want and at the right price to boot.

lw

ikakenewa

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:36 pm »
I've got a pair of XRS's as well. It's hard for me to listen to crossover'd speakers now. They sound mushy and smeared.

The XRS's strengths are also part of its faults. As mentioned above, the 4.5" drivers are brutally revealing and definitely emphasize high mids and trebles. We can go back and forth on this but I've had the speakers since they were introduced three (?) years ago and definitely long at times for a slightly softer delivery. If I listen for a really long time my ears become fatigued. This is empirical fact in my case.

But again, when I hear multiple driver or planar speakers I can't believe how separated I am from the sound.

I disagree with Dave. In the time I've had my XRS's I've owned two ss amps that easily outplayed my Fisher el84 monoblocs: a 40 wpc Creek 41402 integrated and a Quad 33/303 combo. They both sounded magnificent. Right now I'm back to tubes, listening with a hotrodded Scott 340B. I don't think I'll be doing any amp shopping for a long time.

I also have a Deep Hemp sub which was totally necessary with the Quad, not so much with the wonderful sounding Scott.

I too am saving up for the 6.5s in hopes that they are the balance between what I love about Omega's XRS single driver speakers--immediacy--and what I'm not wild about--a tendency to overemphasize trebs and higher frequencies that result in ear fatigue after long periods of listening.

el dub

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:35 pm »
We've had the 6.5" alnicos set up in two different listening environments. The Omegas sounded great out of the box in a small room with rugs and curtains. But even after break in, their forward nature had to be tamed in a larger room of glass/wood/granite and tile. While placement has been more difficult in the tiled room, houseplants and rugs have done wonders. Especially after removing a glass table from the middle of the listening area.  :duh:

During break in, I did notice musical passages that had certain frequencies overly accentuated through the Omegas. And until the tiled room was tamed a bit and final placement achieved, I heard a little of the same in the kitchen. But we've had sonic bliss through out the house for the last couple of weeks or so. The clarity through the omegas is amazing. And the deep hemp cube is quick.

lw 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2008, 02:11 am »
I have heard many speakers, but only one Omega (compact hemps, which I own). I use mine with a modest priced ACI sub in a small room, listening nearfield. The sound is amazing -- and I truly feel that Omega single drivers are a great value.

Regarding which speaker is best for you, I highly recommend you contact Louis directly via e-mail, or better yet by phone. Tell him about your room, equipment, listening taste and budget. Louis is a straight shooter and IMO you can trust the advice he will give you in regards to his products.

ikakenewa

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm »
Keenween, as alwayswantmore said, and as every Omega owner will corroborate, Louis is the best guy to talk to about your desires. I came at him a number of years ago--to clarify, I bought my XRS's the first year the hemp drivers were introduced and not the speaker itself--as someone who was buying his first pair of hi-fi speakers (after owning some okay PSBs for a long time) and no question was too dumb or too off the mark.

He's probably tired of having his b&tt kissed on this forum but that's too bad. It's true: if you call Omega hq Louis will be the guy who answers the phone and he's incredibly down to earth and helpful.

keenween

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:33 am »
Hey, thanks for some feedback gents. I am definitely not looking to buy...I have my first baby on the way and we are looking at buying a house...so I don't think I'll pester Louis as I'm sure he is a busy man. Plus, I'm really happy with my current set-up and it may continue to serve me well in my next listening environment. With all the different speaker designs out there it seems like they all have a slightly different environment and setup in which they shine. I just thought these two models made for an interesting comparison in the Omega lineup. It sounds like the Super 5s hold the details and the 8s are a bit more easy on the ears perhaps.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2008, 01:14 am »
Hey, thanks for some feedback gents. I am definitely not looking to buy...I have my first baby on the way and we are looking at buying a house...so I don't think I'll pester Louis as I'm sure he is a busy man. Plus, I'm really happy with my current set-up and it may continue to serve me well in my next listening environment. With all the different speaker designs out there it seems like they all have a slightly different environment and setup in which they shine. I just thought these two models made for an interesting comparison in the Omega lineup. It sounds like the Super 5s hold the details and the 8s are a bit more easy on the ears perhaps.
have not heard the 5s, but the detail from the 8" Hemp driver in the Compact Hemps is uncanny. While everything is linked to the balance of your audio system, room, listening position, etc., there are cuts where I can hear felt pads lift off piano strings and 'feel' the pebbled surface of a snare drum head being stoked with brushes. Detail is definitely not a short coming with these speakers. I have the newest Hemp driver, but have not yet sprung for the Alnico driver upgrade which is reported to be even better.