Apple remote application question

Doublej

Apple remote application question
« on: 15 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
My friend installed the Apple remote application on his iTouch and he can't figure out what to press to get his imac to go into full screen mode as he can when using the Apple Remote remote control.

Does anyone know how to achieve this using the iTouch?

mattyturner

Re: Apple remote application question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2008, 07:48 pm »
When you press the 'menu' button on an apple remote, it launches a completely different program on the Mac called 'Front Row'. This is like an interface to other media programs on the Mac including iTunes (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row)

When you use the iPod Touch it doesn't matter what is on the screen, the 'interface' is all there on the iPod itself. There is no sense having a touch screen just to control another menu on the screen.

That means you can just turn the Mac screen off and use the iPod Touch exclusively for browsing and playing music.

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2008, 08:19 pm »
That is my understanding as well.  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2008, 09:13 pm »
I am not sure I follow you. He's trying to use the iTouch as a substitiute for the white Apple remote to control the imac but can't get it into full screen mode by using the iTouch remote. Is this possible?

Is it possible to use the iTouch to launch and control Front Row?

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2008, 09:24 pm »
I am not sure I follow you. He's trying to use the iTouch as a substitiute for the white Apple remote to control the imac but can't get it into full screen mode by using the iTouch remote. Is this possible?

Is it possible to use the iTouch to launch and control Front Row?

The purpose of the iTouch/iPhone running Remote is to have full control of a remote music library with no access to a monitor (eg. Airport Express, Apple TV with no monitor, etc). It is not a replacement for the little white Apple remote unit to control Front Row, nor can it do so.

Consider it the equivalent of a Squeezebox Duet remote controller.