Why the improvement from Torus?

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
Why the improvement from Torus?
« on: 13 Sep 2008, 04:25 pm »
I've read some of the threads on how the Torus power conditioners make more instantaneous current available to components, power amps especially.

But I'm wondering if there are other reasons for noticing higher fidelity when using one. My situation is as follows:

I have a dedicated 20-amp feed to my system (well, to all of them, actually, but that's another story). When I installed an RM20 the improvement was not subtle. The thing is, greater instantaneous current availability doesn't seem to explain this: I know from using an SPL meter and reading the current meter on the Furman unit that the Torus replaced that, even at average SPLs in excess of 100 dB, the entire system draws less than 5 amps--in part presumably, because the speakers are circa 96 dB sensitivity--although the B.A.T. VK-200 amp draws 2.7 amps at idle.

So, if my system doesn't need the current draw enabled by the RM20, why the vivid improvement? (Believe me, I'm not complaining, just curious.)

TIA,

Joel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Why the improvement from Torus?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2008, 04:39 pm »
I've read some of the threads on how the Torus power conditioners make more instantaneous current available to components, power amps especially.

But I'm wondering if there are other reasons for noticing higher fidelity when using one. My situation is as follows:

I have a dedicated 20-amp feed to my system (well, to all of them, actually, but that's another story). When I installed an RM20 the improvement was not subtle. The thing is, greater instantaneous current availability doesn't seem to explain this: I know from using an SPL meter and reading the current meter on the Furman unit that the Torus replaced that, even at average SPLs in excess of 100 dB, the entire system draws less than 5 amps--in part presumably, because the speakers are circa 96 dB sensitivity--although the B.A.T. VK-200 amp draws 2.7 amps at idle.

So, if my system doesn't need the current draw enabled by the RM20, why the vivid improvement? (Believe me, I'm not complaining, just curious.)

TIA,

Joel.

Hi Joel,

There are more performance advantages to the Torus than just the current draw capability.  The filtering of noise above 2K, the isolation of noise on the power line, the grounding improvements etc. I have a PDF of the improvements if you want and they are also listed on the Torus website as 'Benefits'.

http://www.toruspower.com/about.htm

The issue I want to point out though is that we are not dealing here with and amplifiers average current draw but 'INSTANTANIOUS' current draw when needed by a music transient -which the ballistics of the current meter on the Furman is much to slow to measure. As an example when we were developing the Torus we looked at what a 4B could draw from the wall circuit over a very short period (transient) of time at 200 watts.  The 4B can draw 7 amps total at 8 ohms at full power on average.  We found on short TRANSIENTS the amplifier asked for 400 amps! The wall plug can not suppply this kind of instantaneous current draw because the wall plugs impedance is much to high.  The Torus has a very LOW impedance (because of the huge isolation transformer in the Torus) on the output so the amplifier can easily draw the current required. 

Hope this helps explain the sonic benefits you obviously are hearing.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2008, 09:28 pm »
James,
Does the smallest Torus RM10(?) provide the same level of conditioning and performance enhancement as the bigger Torus units.  Or is this more of a budget piece. 
I am speaking of using the small unit on just front end digital and preamp. 
Thanks,
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2008, 11:23 pm »
James,
Does the smallest Torus RM10(?) provide the same level of conditioning and performance enhancement as the bigger Torus units.  Or is this more of a budget piece. 
I am speaking of using the small unit on just front end digital and preamp. 
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Other than current capability all the Torus units work the same.

james

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:25 pm »
There are more performance advantages to the Torus than just the current draw capability.  The filtering of noise above 2K, the isolation of noise on the power line, the grounding improvements etc. I have a PDF of the improvements if you want and they are also listed on the Torus website as 'Benefits'.
http://www.toruspower.com/about.htm

james

James,

Thanks very much for the info and for the link (which I must have read at some point but forgot).

Joel.