Flat screen purchase help

Voodoo Rufus

Flat screen purchase help
« on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:42 am »
I've been looking at getting a TV for a while so I don't have to watch my bluray movies through the PS3 on my 24" computer monitor. I settled on a 42-46" size TV, and reading recent (2008) articles on the plasma vs. LCD debate, I settled on a plasma screen as my goal.

I found this one that gets decent reviews and not too bad of a price: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8723125&st=panasonic+46%22+plasma&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1200703056367

The problem is that I went to Best Buy today to look at plasma vs. LCD in person, and now I'm not sure what to do. First off, they did not have the above display in the showroom, so I was stuck looking at everything else they had. LCDs varied greatly in brightness, probably from their settings. Plasmas looked in general a little sharper, but black levels were hard to compare in the light in the store. The flicker on some of the plasma screens was a little annoying. Does a 480Hz refresh listed on some plasmas eliminate this issue, or does it depend on the video inputted?

My question is this: Is the Panasonic screen I found above a decent buy or are there alternatives I should be considering? Costco had some decent size and priced screens as well. Typically much lower than Best Buy's choices.

giantsteps

Re: Flat screen purchase help
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:00 am »

Voodoo Rufus.... check this site out....http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/ 

Frank

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 05:32 am »
Did you ask Best Buy to find one for ya? If these stores don't have what you're looking for, chances are they'll find it if you're willling to wait a few days. A while back Staples did just this with a 24" Acer LCD for me and it was only a 3 day wait. I'd suggest you go back to Best Buy and ask them to get on the computer and find you that TV.

OR,,,, buy online and save yourself some money. Just a quick look on Google I'm seeing this $1900 set for under $1200. For these prices you can have that set ISF-Calibrated for best possible picture and still come in lower than that Best Buy price. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:56 pm »
Check out Hitachi,i've got a 42 in,for a little over a yr,very happy,try Sears they have a good selection,although i bought from a independent place,i cant see have anything this fragile sent at all.People like lcd,but did you ever look at your computer screen if its lcd after cleaning and turning it slightly then looking at the screen not really a pretty sight and i use a micro fiber cloth,i cant even imagine what a nice big lcd screen would look like after cleaning,plasma screen no problem,also less reflective then you might think.Pan. and Samsung, I think they are worth looking at also.

acresm22

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2008, 05:14 am »
Hey Voodoo Rufus, I just sent you a pm with another possibility.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:35 pm »
Well, I've kind of farted around on this for a while. Now that I'm moving into a house, there's a little more motivation to settle this and get to watching my Blurays on a TV instead of my 24" LCD computer monitor.

I've set aside the 85U idea in favor of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187090&Tpk=TH-46PZ800U

Only problem is that it appears that it's no longer in production or listed on Panasonic's site. I like the fact that it has a built in THX calibration. Now the 800 is actually more expensive than the 850? Except on Newegg, of course.

Thoughts?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:23 pm »
I have been happy with Samsung LCD's,

murphy11

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:51 pm »
I'm buying this one tonight http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11326724&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79&N=4018653&Mo=7&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74652&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

klh

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2008, 08:47 pm »
I highly advise that you view the diplays before purchasing. I have two Panasonic TH- 42PZ77U displays. I like them a lot. The 700 (and 800 I think) do not have the antireflective etching on the glass surface. Some like it, others don't. The consensus is it has a minor negative affect on viewing pleasure if no reflections need to be decreased. If the display is in a dark room with minimal intrusion from windows and uncontrolled light, then the 700/800 displays are better. If you have a lot of ambient uncontrolled light (especially windows), I would strongly urge you to get one with the anti-reflective surface. For me in my situation, it made a huge difference in satisfaction while watching TV. Other people cannot stand the coating. You really should try for yourself.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2008, 08:51 pm »
If the AR coating is anything like on my eyeglasses, then yes, I want it.

The room is a finished basement with smallish windows on one side with blinds to block out the light. I can add cloth insulating drapes over the top of them to help even more. The TV will go in front and slightly below the windows. Not sure I can mount it on the wall or not, though. Might not be enough bracing to do it.

klh

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2008, 10:50 pm »
My suggestion... brink down your old TV (CRT?)... put it in the location you will have it... then check to see if daytime viewing is annoying. If it looks good, then the 700/800 series will work. If not, go with the 77/80/85 series. Of course you also have to think about whether you might move the display later on and have it in a room without well controlled ambient light. Just some food for though. BTW, it doesn't look like AR coatings on glasses. No sheen. It doesn't cut out the reflections, it just makes them more diffuse thus less likely to be noticed and certainly less distracting. As I said before, it's best to view the displays before buying.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:23 pm »
My suggestion... brink down your old TV (CRT?)... put it in the location you will have it...
Or grab the wifeys mirror from the master beadroom and set it where the TV will be.
See if you can see your windows in the mirror.
I've never tried it, but it sure sounds like a good idea.  aa
{Just like looking for first reflection points when treating a room}

Bob

klh

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:35 pm »
Good reference :D.

Even still, I'd bring a TV down to your room. If something behind you is well lit (like the couch or something hanging on the wall... or the wall itself), it will show on the screen. I forgot how bad reflections can be until I went to my brother-in-laws house and tried to watch TV during the day. Even though I sat so no windows were reflected off the screen, I could still see the reflection of the couch, wall and photos. It drove me nuts. Those are the kind of reflections that are completely wiped out by the coating.

Airborn

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:59 pm »
I think the most important things to consider when purchasing a flat panel are the types of programming you will watch most (fast moving sports, gaming, HD programming, DVD movies, Blu-Ray, etc.) and the room (family room with windows, dedicated theater, etc.).

I think the plasma picture is better for HD programming, sports and movies in a dark room, but I went with a Sharp Aquos LCD because the television is in our family room with lots of windows and the kids use it for gaming. 

I did most of my research on AVS Forum.  It seems almost every possible question has been asked and answered there.  Lots of good leads for the best prices as well.  Good luck.  aa

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

klh

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2008, 12:18 am »
Good points! Some say burn in is an issue... others say it no longer is an issue. I erred on the side of playing a burn-in disk for 100 hours (plus my wife knew to change the channel every half hour or so for the first 100-200 hours). If gaming is going to be done regularly on the TV then I would also consider LCD. I saw a commercial for the new Aquos LCD's and they looked fabulous.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:19 am »
Everything I've read indicates that burn-in is not an issue on the newest screens.

The closest thing I have to a TV is my computer monitor. Otherwise I have no TV. I can make it work to see what reflections there might be. Only problem is that there's no glass on this screen and it's not glossy either.

The TV's primary use will be Blu-ray/DVD movie playback from the PS3. Occasionally it will have Gran Turismo played on it, but that is all, and not very often at that. I have not seriously considered getting a satellite dish considering the use and time that I spend at home is very little. The room is really not well lit at all, so I don't think I need the brightness that LCDs are capable of. On my LCD monitor here, I have the brightness set at 22/100.

GHM

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2008, 03:32 am »
Don't believe the that stuff that burn in isn't an issue. You can still burn images into the screen with the newer plasmas ..just like the older ones.

As long as you're planning to use it mainly for TV or Movie viewing you'll be fine. Play enough games on it or use it with a computer and you'll see what burn in looks like..trust me..been there done that.

My Samsung plasma is strictly for TV or movie viewing now. The picture is fabulous on OTA digital channels! My Sharp Aquos LCD gets the grunt work with Blu rays, PC monitor use and gaming.In fact I'm typing this from my couch as I watch a Blu ray movie on the same screen. :D

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2008, 04:05 am »
My 'burn in/image retention' experience...My NEC plasma is about 2 1/2 years old, I was very careful in the first year to not watch any channels with fixed solid logos for an extended period of time which seem to have been a wise move, however after a few hours of a specific channel viewing I could faintly make out an residual image of where the channel logo...but this disappeared after watching other channels without logos.
But this year, I watched a lot of the US Open on HD, this is over two weeks, and after this extended viewing I had an ESPN LIVE burnin image on the lower right corner. It gradually got fainter and fainter, now months later I barely notice it...
Its much more an issue with an HD transmission than the regular Digital transmission.
SO yes, burnin/image retention is still an issue with plasma.

But that said...I love the picture of plasma, and still find it superior to LCD. Watching a fast moving sport like football (the real sport where you actually use your feet) on LCD can give you a headache.

boead

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2008, 05:20 am »
But that said...I love the picture of plasma, and still find it superior to LCD. Watching a fast moving sport like football (the real sport where you actually use your feet) on LCD can give you a headache.

Totally agree, same experiences.

I choose the 50" Panny Plasma (TH-50PF10). The Panasonic kicks ass, my favorite. I liked the Sony too.