KECES DA-152 Integrated Headphone Amp & DAC. Finally! (READY TO SHIP NOW!)

Zyca

• Industry Participant
    • Acoustic Fun Web Store!
Finally it is READY!

Allow me to introduce, KECES DA-152, an evolution step for our DA-151 USB DAC.  Many have asked for a simple solution that allows them to use their computer as a source, while also have a high performance headphone amp built-in.  A simple device that does it well and does it all for their computer-as-source need.  Basically, we integrated an high performance headphone amp into our much praised DA-151, to produce an all in one unit that does not compromise!

During our previous year of operation (We started doing business about 1 year ago), there's always someone asking if we have or plan to merge our quality DAC with a good headphone amp.  Well, here it is, we took our DA-151's circuit and merged it with a high performance headphone amp to make DA-152.

Now you do not need to further clutter your desk by trying to fit a good DAC with a good headphone amp, our DA-152 is designed with a high current capacity headphone amp (250ma/channel) that can easily handle the most demanding headphones on the market (well, please don't count the electrostatics... those are not "regular" headphones. ;) ).   During the design and testing phase of our DA-152, we further improve the original DA-151 circuit to improve its frequency extension on both ends, tonal accuracy, neutrality while retaining its smoothness and great details.

We also improved and strengthened its analog power supply to further lower the already low noise floor to vanishingly low level, making noise completely inaudible on most headphones even with no music playing and volume turned to max.   In addition, we also beefed it up to handle the added load, by using a custom transformer coupled to our updated power supply circuit.

As for the headphone amplifier circuit itself, we used National Semi's new LME49600 power buffer chip with our own customized headphone amp circuit.  Combining our experience with headphone amps and National Semi's excellent chip had produced a package that performs extremely well without costing an arm or a leg.  Comparing to other companies' DAC+headphone amp combo, our solution was considerably more expensive.  For example, the volume pot we use have a retail price around $25USD/ea, while others often budget less than that for their entire headphone amp circuit.  We asked ourselves that why should you be a second class citizen when you don't have the room for a dedicated headphone amp?  There are products on the market with high performance headphone amp integrated to their DAC, but why do you have to spend around $1000 USD for the privilege of a high performance amp built into a high performance DAC?  Well, that's our philosophy behind DA-152's concept and design.  We loved the result (I'm listening to it right now!), and believe that you will like it too.

DA-152's main feature includes (Jargon warning):

• Updated DA-151 circuit, with 100% DC circuit and no capacitor in signal path to further improve the frequency extension of both ends, even more details than before. (No DC servos either, in case you are wondering.)
  • High performance headphone amp with up to 250mA/channel capability (that's a lot for most headphones in the market)
  • Excellent detail, neutral tone with a bit of warmth, and great smoothness.  You do not have to suffer just because you don't have the room for a standalone headphone amp.
  • Variable output via RCA, you can hook up to your active speaker or power amp directly, no need for a separate pre.
  • Over 26V p-p output, which is appox 9.2V RMS, enough for most headphones and active speakers on the market
  • Revised power circuit that further lower the noise level of our vanishingly quiet DAC.
  • A new and more powerful transformer, designed just for DA-152 and its headphone load.
  • Updated power input module to the newer ones used by DA-131.1, now you can switch between 115V and 230V at a flick of the switch, or order optional IEC socket upgrade to quality IeGO sockets! (upgrade available only at the time of ordering DA-152.)
  • Dimension: 215 ×205 ×80mm (W*L*H), excluding knobs and connectors.

I/O interface, ports and controls.
  • USB input, supporting 16bit @ 32KHz, 44.1KHz and 48KHz sampling rate.
  • Headphone output in front with high quality Neutrik socket.
  • Variable analog stereo RCA output at back, eliminate the need for an additional pre.
  • Large volume knob in front providing easy access to volume control.
  • Integrated power input module with Upgradable IEC socket, input voltage selection and power switch at back of the unit.

Why would you want DA-152?

Well, if you want quality music from your computer without the clutter of multiple device stacking one on top of the other, then our DA-152 is definitely what you've been looking for.  Just 3 simple steps to start enjoying your music!

• Hook up DA-152 to AC power and to your computer's USB port
  • Hook up your headphone or active monitor/speaker
  • Start up your favorite playback software and set both system volume and playback software volume to 100%, and control volume via the volume knob on DA-152 for best sound quality.

That's it, no more clutter of cables going to another pre or headphone amp, just one neat and simple package that does exactly what you want. ;)

The back end of DA-152, with standard IEC socket.

Pricing:
$450 USD plus shipping.

Upgrade options:
IeGO Gold plated copper IEC socket (GU-R301BU) upgrade is $30 extra.
IeGO Pure unplated silver IEC socket (AG-R301BU) upgrade is $90 extra.

IeGO Socket Upgrade Information:
Both sockets will enhance the detail and dynamics of DA-131.1, but each enhance in a different way.

GU-R301 Gold plated 99.99% pure copper IEC socket not only enhance the details and dynamics, it also makes DA-131.1 sound warm and smooth, the high quality processing done on GU-R301's gold plating process also makes it sound more refined and all without losing a bit of the details (Well, it actually enhances the details when compared to the original computer grade socket).  GU-R301 is warmer sounding than AG-R301, if you are looking for warmer sound signature with more flair, please choose GU-R301 over AG-R301.

AG-R301 99.99% pure silver IEC socket will enhance dyanmics and detail even further than GU-R301, and as with very high quality silver, the sound is smooth, detailed and quite neutral.  It does not have the "silver harshness" normally assoicated with low grade silver or thinly plated silver cable and connectors, high quality silver sounds smooth, with proper thickness, very detailed and open.  AG-R301 is neutral sounding and more detailed with better dynamics than GU-R301, if you are looking for that, please choose AG-R301 over GU-R301.  Please note that while GU-R301 is warmer, AG-R301 is by no means cold, it is very neutral.

Shipping:
$45 USD for North America, Europe, Russia areas.
$35 USD for Asian and Oceania Regions (exclude Russia)
$55 USD for South America/Africa Regions

Payment option:
I currently take PayPal with no additional charge, if you cannot use PayPal, we can arrange for other payment methods like Western Union.  However, PayPal is preferred as it allows instant process of payment and shipment.

Please contact me at david@acoustic-fun.com if you would like to order.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2008, 09:58 am by Zyca »

jmc207

Looks very nice. Congratulations on the new product.

Zyca

• Industry Participant
Looks very nice. Congratulations on the new product.

Thanks, we worked quite hard on this product, and had several samples made and remade and modified to meet our quality requirement.  And finally we got figures that is slightly better than what we had set out to do. :) Then the final design was sent out for production.  The sound is remarkably crisp and clear, I tried it with Senn. HD650, AKG 240DF and Ety ER-4P, and all of them responded very well to DA-152. (Yes, same gain factor for ALL of them. ;) )

David

Zyca

• Industry Participant
Updated the first post, DA-152 is now ready to ship, with all pre-orders already on their way to the customers who had participated in the pre-order. :)

Thanks!

David

pardales

How would you compare your DA-151 to the DA-152?

Zyca

• Industry Participant
How would you compare your DA-151 to the DA-152?

Well, it would kinda like comparing apple to... apple pie... However, if we only compare the DAC section, the upgraded power supply and DAC circuit will provide a noticeable improvement in detail and sound stage.  Noise level on the other hand, it is already extremely difficult to hear that on DA-151, so we rely on the test figures from RMAA, and it confirmed our estimate that the noise floor is further lowered.

wilsynet

Does that DA-152 convert USB direct to I2S, or does it do SPDIF as an intermediate stage?  If it doesn't do I2S directly, is it the opinion of the manufacturer that it matters less because of the terrific design of the DAC section overall?

Also, how does the DA-152 compare to the DA-131 (which I understand was sonically superior to the DA-151)?

Zyca

• Industry Participant
Does that DA-152 convert USB direct to I2S, or does it do SPDIF as an intermediate stage?  If it doesn't do I2S directly, is it the opinion of the manufacturer that it matters less because of the terrific design of the DAC section overall?

Also, how does the DA-152 compare to the DA-131 (which I understand was sonically superior to the DA-151)?

Hello,

The digital signal is never routed outside of the receiver chip, as it is also the DAC chip.  Thus there is no such problem as what signal is being routed out.

As for the difference with DA-131.1, DA-131.1 will sound better if DA-152 is connected like DA-131.1 (through pre-amp, then power amp and so on).  If DA-152 is directly connected to a pair of active speaker or power amp, then it would have to be depend on your pre-amp's performance.

Thanks.

David

droht

Just wanted to post a big  :thumb: for the DA-152.  I purchased one because I want to get into head-fi.  While I haven't settled on phones yet, I have found that the 152 significantly improves my 2 channel set up (KingRex T20U t-amp/Usher S520s speakers).  I was very happy with the sound quality before I hooked up the 152, but it has taken it to "another level".

Zyca, can you comment on how the 152 improves sound quality in that regard?  Better DAC than the onboard DAC on the KingRex perhaps?  I've tried other DACs, that alone cost almost what the 152 costs, and have not noticed any real improvement though, so I'm a little confused, but happily so.

tvyankee

can you get this unit without the headphone output? and also what is the highest sample rate it can take in? 24/192?

thanks

Zyca

• Industry Participant
can you get this unit without the headphone output? and also what is the highest sample rate it can take in? 24/192?

thanks

Well, DA-151 would be the one without the headphone amp, the highest sample rate is limited by the chip, which is 16/48KHz (also supports 44.1 and 32KHz).  If you do not need the high res (if you play just CDs, then you will never have a need for higher sample rate), then DA-151 and DA-152 would be a perfect fit for you.

If you would like higher sample rates, then our DA-131.1 would be something to look into, since it will be able to support up to 24bit at up to 192KHz (and almost everything below that).

Thanks.

David

Zyca

• Industry Participant
Just wanted to post a big  :thumb: for the DA-152.  I purchased one because I want to get into head-fi.  While I haven't settled on phones yet, I have found that the 152 significantly improves my 2 channel set up (KingRex T20U t-amp/Usher S520s speakers).  I was very happy with the sound quality before I hooked up the 152, but it has taken it to "another level".

Zyca, can you comment on how the 152 improves sound quality in that regard?  Better DAC than the onboard DAC on the KingRex perhaps?  I've tried other DACs, that alone cost almost what the 152 costs, and have not noticed any real improvement though, so I'm a little confused, but happily so.

I took a look at the KingRex's internal (photo available on 6moon) and it looks almost like Fubar I/II from Firestone, except some slight differences.  From my understanding, all of them uses the same chip (BurrBrown PCM2702E), but Fubar appears to use better parts (Just judging from the photo).

Since the intended application of DA-151/DA-152 is less concerned about space/cost and more concerned about performance, that is why it uses much more elaborate power supply system with isolated oscillator power, better components (which almost always mean BIGGER), and very careful attention to circuit layouts and other little details.  The result? Well, you will have to enlighten me. ;)  I don't own a KingRex here...  :duh:

Thanks

David

droht

David, here is what I have tried:

1-KingRex T20U with USB in from PC
2-KingRex with USB through magicDAC amp from Audiomagus  info on DAC here: http://www.audio-magus.com/Aeolus_DAC_1_p/adac1.htm
3-KingRex with USB through the Keces DA-152

1 and 2 were almost the same to me.  Option 3 was a very nice improvement.  Tighter bass, improved clarity and smoothness on top end.  Lush sound of the KingRex still there.

So I'm loving the Keces, just trying to understand why.  I imagine the fact that it is an active pre-amp is helping sound in my case???  Maybe that is more at play than the differences in DAC.  Not a big deal, just trying to learn a little.

Zyca

• Industry Participant
David, here is what I have tried:

1-KingRex T20U with USB in from PC
2-KingRex with USB through magicDAC amp from Audiomagus  info on DAC here: http://www.audio-magus.com/Aeolus_DAC_1_p/adac1.htm
3-KingRex with USB through the Keces DA-152

1 and 2 were almost the same to me.  Option 3 was a very nice improvement.  Tighter bass, improved clarity and smoothness on top end.  Lush sound of the KingRex still there.

So I'm loving the Keces, just trying to understand why.  I imagine the fact that it is an active pre-amp is helping sound in my case???  Maybe that is more at play than the differences in DAC.  Not a big deal, just trying to learn a little.

No problems I'm quite open to questions. IMHO the main difference is in the units' analog stage rather than the pre-amp.  In our products, we use a lot of audio-grade parts, those actually contributes a fair bit to the final result.  For example, if a chip needs a very fast power supply that can adapt to its changing need for power, then a capacitor that performs well at high frequency will be used.  (Like the oscillator and the OSCON capacitor used)

We basically examine the need of the circuit, then we find the components that best fit for the job (within reasonable cost of course), and this kind of tuning works especially well with the analog section of the DAC or basically any analog components of the circuit, including the pre-amp section.  Which is why our DA-151 is also getting fairly good feedback even tho it is without a pre-amp section that DA-152 have. :)

Thanks

David

icefox

Does this support MAC?

Zyca

• Industry Participant
Does this support MAC?

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS X, Linux and most popular operating system will automatically support DA-152 and DA-151(mk1 and mk2) with very little effort required.  Virtually plug and play for most situation, the only thing you need to do is to set the computer's volume to 100% for the best sound quality.

Thanks

David