Data Overload - I'm Stumped!!!!

uw69

Data Overload - I'm Stumped!!!!
« on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:52 pm »
I've read, re-read everything I can on Salk speakers and the conclusion I can come to is that they are a great value. Can't for the life of me decide which speaker would be right for me. My room about 15 x 12. I have an Emotiva MPS-2 amp and using a Pioneer Elite 94 AVR and a pre/pro. 95% movies/TV, 5% music (mostly SACD's). Price is certainly a consideration, but not my no. 1 consideration. I have a serious case of SongTower, V3, HT2 and HT3 over load! Help :oops:

AliG

Re: Data Overload - I'm Stumped!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:56 pm »
just buy what you can afford and ignore the rest of the line.

Or attend Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2008 from 10-12 October so you can hear these speakers as well as meeting Jim.

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:58 pm »
I would give Jim Salk a call - he knows his products better than any one else, and is more than willing to spend time with new and existing customers alike to help them enjoy his products.  Number on the web site.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:07 pm »
just buy what you can afford and ignore the rest of the line.

Or attend Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2008 from 10-12 October so you can hear these speakers as well as meeting Jim.

I can't help you pick a speaker, but I can second the invite to the RMAF.  I just bought my ticket.  I think the ST ribbons will be there, but I'm not sure what else.  In any event, it's going to be a big show--two hotels full of displays this year.  There's always some pretty wild stuff, plus a lot of the big names like Wilson.  Hope to see some of you there. 

uw69

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:38 pm »
Please Dennis! :oops:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:40 pm »
Jim's really going to be more help to you.  I try to make each sound the best I can, and then they're gone.  Jim works with them, and hears them, every day.  It's been 2 years since I heard an HT2.  Almost that long for a V3. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2008, 08:43 pm »
My new set of Songtowers (ribbon tweeter versions) arrived today.  I won't have time to set them up and listen to them alongside my HT3s until Tuesday.

Check back then for my recommendations.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

uw69

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2008, 09:00 pm »
Looking fwd to your impressions, I'm worried the ST's won't have enough bass for HT application. Suppose I could just add the Song sub!!! :lol:

evan1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2008, 09:03 pm »
Tremendous bass. Where are you located. Maybe you can find someone near you ad go for a listen. My neighbor and I just had someone here last Saturday to hear my Song Towers and his HT'3.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2008, 09:07 pm »
Tremendous bass. Where are you located. Maybe you can find someone near you ad go for a listen. My neighbor and I just had someone here last Saturday to hear my Song Towers and his HT'3.

Tremendous bass??  Not sure I would go that far.

The bass is better than the size of the speakers would lead somebody to believe and it definitely goes deep enough to satisfy most.  But the ST's bass is not even close to the bass performance of the HT3's (not that anybody should expect it to be).

I use three ST's for my dedicated HT and I owned HT3's for a few years, but I never had a chance to directly compare them in the same system.

George

evan1

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2008, 09:13 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. I am not comparing the 2 speakers. I just feel the ST's have tremenous bass

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2008, 10:59 pm »
My HT3's have great bass for 2 channel music, but I need a sub for HT.

For any of Jim's speakers, I highly recommend adding a sub for HT duties.  For music, I would think you could easily live without a sub in your size room.

For HT, I would want to add sub(s) to just about any speaker out there.   aa

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:03 am »
95% movies / 5% music? You really want the best speakers you can afford for music but for TV/movies you can get by on most anything, especially if you have a subwoofer on the side. Unless you really plan on making music a more important part of your life down the road, I'd recommend a set of monitors/bookshelfs and a subwoofer. Buying topshelf floorstanders for TV/movies is a waste of money,,,, just IMHO. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:28 am »
I've read, re-read everything I can on Salk speakers and the conclusion I can come to is that they are a great value. Can't for the life of me decide which speaker would be right for me. My room about 15 x 12. I have an Emotiva MPS-2 amp and using a Pioneer Elite 94 AVR and a pre/pro. 95% movies/TV, 5% music (mostly SACD's). Price is certainly a consideration, but not my no. 1 consideration. I have a serious case of SongTower, V3, HT2 and HT3 over load! Help :oops:
Jim will be able to tell you if the HT3's are too large for you room, but I'd guess no.  I say go for the HT3's and never look back.  If you can afford them... :thumb:

I can't help you pick a speaker, but I can second the invite to the RMAF.  I just bought my ticket.  I think the ST ribbons will be there, but I'm not sure what else.  In any event, it's going to be a big show--two hotels full of displays this year.  There's always some pretty wild stuff, plus a lot of the big names like Wilson.  Hope to see some of you there. 
Take pictures please, LOTs of pictures!

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:33 am »
My new set of Songtowers (ribbon tweeter versions) arrived today.  I won't have time to set them up and listen to them alongside my HT3s until Tuesday.

Check back then for my recommendations.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine
Woohoo!  I am looking forward to your review, Frank.  Happy listening!
My HT3's have great bass for 2 channel music, but I need a sub for HT.

For any of Jim's speakers, I highly recommend adding a sub for HT duties.  For music, I would think you could easily live without a sub in your size room.

For HT, I would want to add sub(s) to just about any speaker out there.   aa

George
I totally agree, George.  For HT I recommend a sub or two no matter what speaker you have.  Many people don't realize that the best space in your listening area for imaging and soundstaging more than likely isn't the best space for in-room bass response.  That's why having a subwoofer is the way to go (you can move it around to where the in-room response is the best, plus place your speakers separately where they will image and soundstage the best). 

uw69

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:45 am »
Anyone have the Song sub?

funkmonkey

« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2008, 03:21 am »
uw69, I've got to second (or third) the recommendation that you give Jim a call, or send him an e-mail.  He will give you his honest opinion, and steer you toward the speakers that will best suit your needs and wants.  Just for example: when I first contacted him it was about the original SongTowers.  He helped me set up an audition, after which I wrote back and told him how I felt about them, and in what areas I felt they were lacking (very few I might add).  I had a set budget, that I did not want to exceed, but I wanted a speaker that performed many times better than I was finding within that budget.  (there is a thread here that was started as a result of our conversation)  There are not many (if any at all) manufacturers that would go to this length.

The best way to decide, of course, is to listen for yourself.

Cheers,
-Funk

uw69

« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2008, 03:38 am »
I hate to bother Jim, he has to be busier than a two P_____ billygoat with all the speakers and such on his plate. I've considered everything from the ST's to the HT3's, just more data than I can process...appreciate all the suggestions! Thank you

yooper

« Reply #18 on: 9 Sep 2008, 04:11 am »
My opinion sides with Robin's.  If music only makes up roughly 5% of your overall sessions, I don't see a solid reason to spend more money on a speaker that you really won't use to it's full potential. 

IMHO, when watching a movie you're not really listening, looking for or noticing fine detail since your eyes and brain are focused more on what's on the screen.   However, two channel critical listening is a whole different experience.

If money is not much of an issue and two channel listening may become more of a priority in the future, I'd also recommend a pair of HT 1's.  While waiting for my HT3's to be born, Jim was kind enough to lend me a pair of HT 1's while I waited.  They are an amazing speaker.

Good luck,

Mark

uw69

« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:11 pm »
I give up! Thanks guys, I'm going to take a look at some Paradigm speakers!