How Long is the wait?
« on: 6 Sep 2008, 02:26 pm »
What is the "typical" wait time from order to receiving a Salk speaker? :P

jsalk

Re: How Long is the wait?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2008, 02:53 pm »
uw69 -

What is the "typical" wait time from order to receiving a Salk speaker? :P

This is a difficult question to answer since there are so many variables.

For SongTowers, it is currently about 30 - 45 days for standard veneers we have in stock.  Right now new orders are  running close to 30 days.  But as orders increase (which typically happens in the fall), it will probably extend to 45 days.  So it is somewhat seasonal.  For example, orders placed around April can take even longer since orders tend to come in faster than we can produce cabinets.

If a custom veneer is involved, it can take longer as we have to get the veneer before we can start working.

Some veneers have deeper grain than others.  Cherry normally requires only one sealer session (about 6 coats sprayed in a single day).  Deep-grained woods like oak or ash require two or three sealer sessions.  Each is about three days - one to shoot, one to cure and one to sand.  So a veneer that requires three sealer sessions will obviously take a week or so longer than veneers that require only one sealer session.

For other models, cabinet complexity can add to the time as well.  HT3's, for example, can take 60 days or more.

Since all the speakers are custom and built for a particular customer, we can't build them ahead of time.  If we did, we could not offer a choice of veneers and woods.  We would have to do as most of the speakers companies do and offer a limited choice of finishes.  We feel this flexibility is important since customers can have any finish they want.  But it also means we cannot do any work before the order is placed.  So it takes a little longer for delivery since every speaker is essentially custom and we can't ship them until they are finished.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2008, 02:54 pm »
I just received a pair of Songtowers (yesterday).  Took about one month from initiating my order (and well worth the short wait, I may add).  Martin. 

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2008, 02:53 am »
Hi,

I think if you have a look around on the net at different speakers that are offered by manufacturers, you will realise how much value a pair of Salk Sound speakers offer.

What other speaker manufacturer can you think of who offers the range of options of veneers and component value for the price?  I've done a lot of research.

Plus, Jim is very honest with his advice and can steer you to the speaker that suits your needs.

My HT2's arrive by sea on 9/15.

Regards

Rod

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:37 am »
I waited about 5 months because I requested a new design (the SongTower RT's - ribbon tweeter).  Let me tell you, the wait was worth it!   :D

Your wait won't be as long, of course, but I just wanted you to know that even if I had to wait a year for HT3's, I'd do it.  Jim's speakers are that good to my ears. 

Just my opinion.