Does this make sense?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Does this make sense?
« on: 11 Nov 2003, 09:17 pm »
In preperation for getting my Roompack + Seams from Nathan, I decided to get out my Rat Shack meter and Stereophile test cd to see where things are at now.

When I started my measurements, I had up my EchoBusters in the ceiling corners and on the rear wall to either side of my screen.  I also had in place three Roomlens' (one in the middle, and one to each side of my speakers).

Well, my measurements don't look that good and I can defintely hear some of what numbers suggest.  

I have a suckout at 125Hz of roughly 6db's and I am positive 6-8db's between 80-50Hz.

In the midrange I am "relatively" flat with my worst reading being down 4.5 at 2000Hz.

In the upper frequencies I am not so good - between 3150-2000Hz I am at least 7db's down and at the very top almost 15db's down.  

Wow, sounds like I really need help??

Well, when I listen to my system, I think it sounds pretty darn good (not bragging or being defensive).  When I have people over, they comment that it is one of the better systems they have heard.

How can this be?

I know the goal is to be as flat as possible across the board, but based on these numbers you might think the system should sound pretty bad.

Also, when I took down ALL of the room treatments and measured, things were only slightly worse from a numbers perspective.  I guess I was expecting a bigger deviation...was this wrong?

When I listen to music without the room treatments I do hear a drastic drop-off in the sound quality; it's just that the numbers don't seem to support it.

Will Nathan or somebody who really understands room acoutics shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

GW

Horsehead

Does this make sense?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2003, 09:32 pm »
Here is an article that might help you.  Also, they sell a test CD that has corrections for using the RatShack meter.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Does this make sense?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2003, 09:36 pm »
Thanks for the link...

That is exactly what I read and used for my measurements.

But that doesn't explain to me why the measurements did change very much when I compare room treatmeant vs no room treatment.

GW

Hantra

Does this make sense?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2003, 11:06 pm »
Well George. . . I wish I had an answer for you.  

The short answer is, a flat frequency response is not a requisite to have good sound, and sound that is emotional, and pleasing to you.  I had a serious frequency suck out around 70 and a peak at 110 before Scott helped me fix it with his RTA.  Even so, I still had gobs of emotion, and very pleasing sound.  

It just gets that much better when you do get those frequencies back that you're missing. . .

Let us know how your experience goes!

B

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Does this make sense?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2003, 12:32 am »
It isn't just the frequency domain that the room treatments are working; a lot of it is controlling the reverberant signature of the room.