iMac vs ACD for image quality/graphics/photography

JohnR

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide an opinion or further clues as to image quality/graphics/photography work on ACD vs the screen that comes with the iMac (24" version) - ?

In a nutshell, I think it's time to toss my 17" CRT and am trying to decide what to do.

JohnR

[Edit: I should note that I am not a pro, so I'm really looking for "good enough" here... thx ;) ]

Crimson

Re: iMac vs ACD for image quality/graphics/photography
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2008, 10:57 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but what's an ACD? (I'm guessing it's not Automatic Call Distribution)  :scratch:

I do know that the 24" version is superior to the 20" (S-PVA 24 bit vs TN 18 bit lcd technology).

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2008, 01:51 am »
oh, you know Mr. C.... ACD = Apple Cinema Display.

John, the 24inch is an S-IPS panel which is preferred for photos. and PVAs are better for video. <<those are generalizations. If you want a head splitter I will look up my research links. but they may be at work.

I have not compared the two myself. But as an Apple user (home/work) I had to make a difficult move and get my first non apple display (after CRT and 20" ACDv1) because the new ACDs just don't cut it for calibration/consistency. I went with a NEC 2490WUXI (an S-IPS panel) with the Spectraview Calibration tool. Calibration is essential if you end up printing your images, which is my goal. I am just getting to understand all this. The NEC looks PCish (cringe) but you gotta make that sacrifice sometimes. function over design. 80% of my friends who have monitors have ACDs.

cheers,
ed

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2008, 11:08 am »
oh, you know Mr. C.... ACD = Apple Cinema Display.

Doh!  :green:

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2008, 11:56 am »
I found this site, which tells you which monitors have which panels:

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

However it lists the iMac 17" as having a TN panel, so I guess that means not up to the same standard as the ACDs. (It doesn't list any other iMacs)

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm »
Any 17" iMac would have the antiglare screen. New iMacs have the high-gloss screen, a very poor option imj for photo editing. I was trying to retouch an image with obvious flaws in the dark areas on an imac. I literally couldn't see for all the glare. An antiglare screen also gives you a much more accurate idea of how the image will render on paper.