Mcaps in Cornet

penance

Mcaps in Cornet
« on: 11 Nov 2003, 06:42 pm »
Ill be makeing an order tomorrow for some Mcaps
C1, C3 - 0.47uf
C6 1uf

Are there any other caps i should think of replaceing whilst im makeing an order?
Any of the electrolytics? or more of the PP's?
Also thinking of changing resistors to Holco or caddocks, i assume its just the 1W that are in the signal path?
I probably wont replace all resistors, so any recomendations on particular ones to change?

TIA

PS, collecting some NOS mullard 82 and 83 tomorrow 8)

GRD

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2003, 12:40 am »
In a previous post, mgalusha suggested upgrading both C5 and C6 as they were in the signal path.  Seemed logical to me and I used Auricaps for both in my Cornet.  I would be interested in your impressions of the changes you hear with the upgrades.

RogueAngel

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2003, 01:13 am »
I would also recommend upgrading or at least a tighter tolerance for C7 in the RIAA section.

penance

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2003, 09:08 am »
would Mcap do for C7 aswell?

Wayne1

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2003, 02:54 pm »
The most crictical caps for the sound of the Cornet are the two in the signal path: C5 and C6.

For those, if you wish to use Multicaps, I would suggest the RTX series. Be aware they are large and expensive. Care must be used to fit them on the board.

In my Cornet I used Jensen copper foil.

The next area to upgrade are the RIAA caps C7and C8.

The .001 value is only available in the PPMFX series.

You can get the .047 in either RTX or PPMFX.

For all of these caps, I would suggest that you try to buy them from someone who offers a matching service so you can be certain that they ARE the same values for each channel.

The 4) .47 bypass caps C1and C3 are not so critical. The PPMFX series should be just fine, but they are available across the entire Multicap line.

Here is a picture of my Cornet with the very large caps shoehorned in :)

Marbles

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2003, 02:57 pm »
Wayne, what differences did you notice between your Cornet, and mine with the Hovlands?

Wayne1

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2003, 03:19 pm »
Marbles,

It is kind of hard to remember. Mine wasn't working at the time I had yours (power transformer went bad).

The Jensens do tend to give a warmer, more life-like sound to things. Hovlands tend to be a little more on the analytical side.

It is kinda like the difference in the 12AU7s.

The GE 5814 is more natural sounding and has great space and air between instruments. The Amperex Bugle Boy is very accurate with tight bass but not quite as "natural".

Marbles

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2003, 03:33 pm »
Thanks

penance

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2003, 03:43 pm »
Thanks Wayne.
I ended up with Mcaps for C1,C3,C5 and C6 with audionote copper foil caps for C7 and C8. I also ordered holco's to replace the 1watt resistors, not doing the power resistors yet.
I should recieve them all net week, so ill let you know how it goes :)

penance

Mcaps in Cornet
« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2003, 07:48 am »
well the Mcaps seem to be doing fine, but the AN copper foils were horrible, totally destroyed the soundstage and etail :roll:
So now looking for something to stick in C7 and C8