J River volume lousy under Vista vs. fine in XP

Brucemck

J River volume lousy under Vista vs. fine in XP
« on: 1 Sep 2008, 01:27 am »
I recently switched from an XP to a Vista laptop.

Running J River 12 as player for FLAC files in both setups. Output is DircectSound 24/96.  (Goes to my dac via an Empirical Audio PaceCar)

Nothing in the above is a change in the setup between XP and Vista.

Noticed that the "volume leveling" feature markedly degrades the sound quality under Vista, but didn't under XP.

Any hints on what I might do to get it to function as it did under XP?  It's a nice feature that I'd hate to lose.

Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: J River volume lousy under Vista vs. fine in XP
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2008, 03:04 am »
I've always found it to be useless as the volume always fluctuates from album to album in my setup. I have mine set on automatic in track based mode with clipping protection. I'm using a Trends USB transport with Asio for my XP Media Ctr Ed setup. Works for me. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2008, 03:42 am »
Satfrat, it is the volume levelling feature that I was referring to -- under XP it did a good (not great) job of keeping tracks approximately the same volume in a playlist.

Brucemck

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2008, 07:28 pm »

I believe what I'm now hearing is the resolution of the PaceCar ... prior to the PaceCar the volume control didn't have much of a negative impact.  With the PaceCar the resolution is now so high that the volume control is clearly audible. 

All in, a great problem to have.

The PaceCar is amazing.