Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?

Mr_dingo

Re: Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?
« Reply #100 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:38 pm »
Howdy good people!

My name is Fredrik and I am from Sweden.
I have had Von Schweikert VR-2 Vr-4jr and now VR-4GENIIIHSE.
Room is under construction, and is not yet there, some Bass problems remain.
This picture is not the newest, the set-up is wider now.
Electronics are GamuT Mono-amps M250MKIII, GamuT pre-amp D3i and Musical Fidelity KWDM25 Cables are Purist Audio Dominus Power, and Venustas interconnect Speaker are Aqueous Anniversary (Shoot-gun).

I was wondering why I dont really get that real deep bass-impact, is it necessary to have a Subwoofer?
My room is 25M2. What do the other HSE owner has to say?

This invention to have a VSA thread is so great, I hope that Albert will write someday.

Best Regards

Fredrik

slinco

« Reply #101 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:59 pm »
I'm happy with my VR4jr's, but the Unifield 3 is intriguing. Does anyone know the approx. retail price of them?

vgregory

« Reply #102 on: 12 Sep 2008, 07:04 pm »

Hi Jack -

Thank you very insight - I am in the midst in experimenting several amps configuration...I have tried the Class D amps and it wasnt to my liking...

I'm with you - I have gone for SS to all tubes system - ever since I have had my First Sound preamp it changed everything. 

Also - seriously upgrading to the VR5 Anniversary -

Thanks

Victor,

You may want to listen to the Unifield 3 before upgrading to the VR5. I haven't personally listened to the VR5 or the higher models, but have spoken
extensively with Albert who is of the opinion that the Unifield 3 comes close to the VR-9 except perhaps not as loud or room filling and suited for small
to medium sized rooms.

-Arun

Interesting thought - but after speaking with Albert/Joe a couple of months ago they are able to upgrade the VR4 GEN III HSE to VR5 Anniversary level - with quite success. 

Spoke with a person that has done it and was quite pleased......

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #103 on: 12 Sep 2008, 11:31 pm »
The MSRP of the new Unifield 3 speakers are $15k/pr. 

Delacroix

We're APPROVED!!! Need a tagline
« Reply #104 on: 13 Sep 2008, 02:34 am »
Folks -- thank you all for your posts and support. We're approved to create the Audio Circle for VSA owners and enthusiasts. I need to create a formal tagline and am open to suggestions. I've asked Albert too. Here's one, feel free to improve or offer another, but I want to settle this early so we can move forward.

Von Schweikert Audio:
"For owners and enthusiasts of Von Schweikert Loudspeakers"

OK?

Sandman2

« Reply #105 on: 13 Sep 2008, 02:42 am »
The proposed tagline sounds fine to me.

G

JackD201

« Reply #106 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:12 am »
God dag Fredrik!

I love your country. I spent more than a month there on a SIDA IT Management study grant. I was based mostly in Karlstad but I also got to go to Sunne, Gothenburg and Stockholm. You are very musical people, my friends said they (you) are all taught to play musical instruments early on. The Upsalla University Choir performed for us on culmination night and they were fantastic. Now I collect any Proprius and Opus 3 LPs I can find :D

Your GenIII HSEs are capable of prodigious bass output and they had no problems filling my 50sqm room with room shaking bass. Are you looking for more punch? I'm curious since the Gamut amplifiers excel in this regard as well. There are a few possibilities you might want to look into. First try gently pushing your woofers. If they are stiff and have no play, you probably have a burned voicecoil. If not then the culprit is probably a suck out in your room. You can verify this with a test tone record or CD and an SPL meter if you can't get your hands on RTA software and a test microphone. The last is that your listening position might be  in a null node and moving your chair a foot or two just might do the trick. Good luck and do let us know how it turns out :)

Jack
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Victor,

Personally I'd go with the sparkle of ARCs in HSE guise and the balance of VACs in upgraded VR-5 guise. That is a very nice shortlist you've got there! I'd double check the frequency response figures of the C-Js on their website. Some models go up to only 16Hz and down to only 30Hz. A conscious design choice by their creators. If you are into classical and/or electronic music it may be a limiting factor. CJ mids however are very, very beautiful as you well know. Beautiful enough to forego deep bass and air for most people.

Jack
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varsharun,

The Unifield 3s are indeed extremely intriguing. They were on static display at this years CES  so I haven't had the chance to hear them. Keith and I are conducting market demand surveys now as over here rooms are on the large side. Should we bring some over I'll be sure to check them vs. the VR-9s.

In the meantime I think we would all appreciate your personal impressions :D

Jack

JackD201

« Reply #107 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:17 am »
Delacroix,

Congratulations and a big THANK YOU for making this happen! Many thanks too to the powers that be at Audio Circle for their approval!  :D :D :D

I think the tag line is perfect and vote that you be the facilitator being the founding father of soon to be circle. Keith and I promise to support the circle fully  8)

Jack

patrickperry

« Reply #108 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:35 am »
Many thanks to Delacroix for making the VSA circle happen, and thank you Jack for answering my question in detail earlier in the thread.  Although Delacroix is the originator of the VSA Circle, Jack's inputs and insights have kept this thread alive, interesting and educational.  Keep the system pics coming guys...that's my favorite part of the thread.  I'll try to post a pic of my modest system soon.

Rick

JackD201

« Reply #109 on: 13 Sep 2008, 06:26 am »
Hi Patrick,

Your comments are deeply appreciated. We've been with VSA since they moved back to California. That explains why we're familiar with the model histories as well as their specific sounds. All our clients have become our friends so the freebie housecalls for tweaking helped a lot too. Hard to resist a house call when we get served great food and good wine! :D .

To date only the VR-7 and the very latest models including the re-introduced VR-10 have eluded us. We have a customized VR-11 SE Mk.II at the factory crated and ready to ship :) All VR-9s here were factory upgraded with V-cap teflons caps for all tweeters. Pricey request but worth it. The one in our showroom has a custom automotive finish and two sets of grills, one set a light gray and the other in black. The color is Sepang Bronze used only on BMW M5s, 7 Series sedans and Z4s.

Delacroix is a friend I met at another forum a couple of years ago. I guarantee he's just warming up :D Thanks to him I was also introduced to affordable audio.com and now read it religiously.

I've been waiting for him to weigh in on his VSA-Solid State BAT set-up, a combination friends from the Bay Area swear by. How's about it OP? Give us the lowdown!

Jack

ServerAdmin

« Reply #110 on: 13 Sep 2008, 08:28 am »

vgregory

« Reply #111 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:21 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Your comments are deeply appreciated. We've been with VSA since they moved back to California. That explains why we're familiar with the model histories as well as their specific sounds. All our clients have become our friends so the freebie housecalls for tweaking helped a lot too. Hard to resist a house call when we get served great food and good wine! :D .

To date only the VR-7 and the very latest models including the re-introduced VR-10 have eluded us. We have a customized VR-11 SE Mk.II at the factory crated and ready to ship :) All VR-9s here were factory upgraded with V-cap teflons caps for all tweeters. Pricey request but worth it. The one in our showroom has a custom automotive finish and two sets of grills, one set a light gray and the other in black. The color is Sepang Bronze used only on BMW M5s, 7 Series sedans and Z4s.

Delacroix is a friend I met at another forum a couple of years ago. I guarantee he's just warming up :D Thanks to him I was also introduced to affordable audio.com and now read it religiously.

I've been waiting for him to weigh in on his VSA-Solid State BAT set-up, a combination friends from the Bay Area swear by. How's about it OP? Give us the lowdown!

Jack

Greatly appreciate for Delacroix for making this happen.  :thumb:

vgregory

« Reply #112 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm »
God dag Fredrik!

I love your country. I spent more than a month there on a SIDA IT Management study grant. I was based mostly in Karlstad but I also got to go to Sunne, Gothenburg and Stockholm. You are very musical people, my friends said they (you) are all taught to play musical instruments early on. The Upsalla University Choir performed for us on culmination night and they were fantastic. Now I collect any Proprius and Opus 3 LPs I can find :D

Your GenIII HSEs are capable of prodigious bass output and they had no problems filling my 50sqm room with room shaking bass. Are you looking for more punch? I'm curious since the Gamut amplifiers excel in this regard as well. There are a few possibilities you might want to look into. First try gently pushing your woofers. If they are stiff and have no play, you probably have a burned voicecoil. If not then the culprit is probably a suck out in your room. You can verify this with a test tone record or CD and an SPL meter if you can't get your hands on RTA software and a test microphone. The last is that your listening position might be  in a null node and moving your chair a foot or two just might do the trick. Good luck and do let us know how it turns out :)

Jack
Hi Victor,

Personally I'd go with the sparkle of ARCs in HSE guise and the balance of VACs in upgraded VR-5 guise. That is a very nice shortlist you've got there! I'd double check the frequency response figures of the C-Js on their website. Some models go up to only 16Hz and down to only 30Hz. A conscious design choice by their creators. If you are into classical and/or electronic music it may be a limiting factor. CJ mids however are very, very beautiful as you well know. Beautiful enough to forego deep bass and air for most people.

Jack

Varsharun,

The Unifield 3s are indeed extremely intriguing. They were on static display at this years CES  so I haven't had the chance to hear them. Keith and I are conducting market demand surveys now as over here rooms are on the large side. Should we bring some over I'll be sure to check them vs. the VR-9s.

In the meantime I think we would all appreciate your personal impressions :D

Jack

thanks Jack for the insight - I am still debating in whether to upgrade my existing VR4 GEN III HSE to the VR5 Anniversary - since I have not heard VR5 Anniversary - I have been contact with Greg Weaver, Positive Feedback reviewer, and he loves them. Any thoughts?

Delacroix

« Reply #113 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:13 pm »
Hi folks -- yes I will weigh in on my set up in due course, right now I am hoping to move this discussion over to the new VS circle --http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=139.0

I am only the facilitator, not the owner, my role was to get this going and to monitor the circle to encourage constructive and civil exchange. On the basis of what we've witnessed this week we are in good company here.

Feel free to start topics up that allow us to have themes covering the lively converstations started here -- amps, set-ups, tweaks and stands etc. We are now in business!

Woodshed

« Reply #114 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:54 pm »

Hi Jack -

Thank you very insight - I am in the midst in experimenting several amps configuration...I have tried the Class D amps and it wasnt to my liking...

I'm with you - I have gone for SS to all tubes system - ever since I have had my First Sound preamp it changed everything. 

Also - seriously upgrading to the VR5 Anniversary -

Thanks

Victor,

You may want to listen to the Unifield 3 before upgrading to the VR5. I haven't personally listened to the VR5 or the higher models, but have spoken
extensively with Albert who is of the opinion that the Unifield 3 comes close to the VR-9 except perhaps not as loud or room filling and suited for small
to medium sized rooms.

-Arun

Interesting thought - but after speaking with Albert/Joe a couple of months ago they are able to upgrade the VR4 GEN III HSE to VR5 Anniversary level - with quite success. 

Spoke with a person that has done it and was quite pleased......

Holy moly!! I didn't know that was available! Where can I get information on that?

Thanks.

platoo168

« Reply #115 on: 15 Sep 2008, 04:00 pm »
jack

i am interested in getting VS speakers.   right now i am using Rockport mira grand and looking to upgrade to VS 7SE or 9SE. can you tell me how is the two model differs?  i see in the sepc that the 7's can goes down to 15hz. it is really amazing. my rockport also have two 10 inch woofer but does'nt get anywhere close. 

regards
vorarat :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #116 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:43 pm »
Hi Platoo,

The 7 and 9 are both double stack designs and share the same midrange and tweeter. That's where the similarity ends. The 7 uses two 10.5" magnesium woofers (I think the same as the ones used in the DB-99 SE) and differs from other VR models in that it is rear ported. It actually has two rear ports. The ribbon is a 3" one as opposed to the 5" ribbon of the VR-9 SE. Furthermore, the rear ambience tweeter of the 7 is a dome unit while the 9's is a 5" ribbon identical to the one up front but crossed over to cover a wider frequency range. The biggest difference is that the 9 has a built in 15" subwoofer.

I wish I could comment about how they compare in performance. Unfortunately, I've never heard a VR-7 SE. It's increase in cost to manufacture the cabinets has brought its price too close to price of the VR-9 SEs and the effect is that most buyers would consider ponying up the extra dough for the VR-9s. At least that is currently what's going on the minds of two of our clients as I write this.

I looked at VSA's announcement for RMAF and I noticed that they will be unveiling the VR-77. There has been a lot of speculation amongst dealers about the 77 but VSA is keeping mum. We are hoping that it will be a direct replacement for the VR-7 but with cabinets value engineered to be back in the $40-$50k range where marketing/business wise it really should be.

As for the 9 SEs, well, they're kind of a holy grail kinda deal if you love the VSA sound. Everyone who has heard them has asked the same question. "What more can you ask for?". My answer has always been....a better room to put them in. I'm designing such a room right now with one of our consortium partners. The acoustic materials available these days is extremely exciting from resins, aluminum high pressure laminates to almute sheets. That's another story again though and completion will take more than a year. The fact that the 9s already sound the way they do in a room so unworthy of them is proof that they are probably the most flexible loudspeakers out there. You'll need only one of two things. A good dealer or some perseverance.

I do hope that in the end the choice you make is the one that makes you happiest. :)

Good Luck!

Jack

platoo168

« Reply #117 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:24 am »
Jack

do you have any experience with the rockport, if yes can you tell me the sonic difference between them and VS

thanks
vorarat

JackD201

« Reply #118 on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:25 am »
Hi Vorarat,

Unfortunately I have no experience with Rockport loudspeakers. Andy Payor however is very highly respected and I am certain that his loudspeakers are works of art that sound as good as they look.

All the Best,

Jack

Woodshed

« Reply #119 on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:49 am »
Hi Vorarat,

Unfortunately I have no experience with Rockport loudspeakers. Andy Payor however is very highly respected and I am certain that his loudspeakers are works of art that sound as good as they look.

All the Best,

Jack

Hello Jack,

Do you have any info I can use that will get me started on the path to upgrading my VR4 genIII HSE?

Thanks