Do I want a Bugle or Cornet2 phono stage?

Ashurbanipal

Do I want a Bugle or Cornet2 phono stage?
« on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:06 pm »
I just finished a Clarinet line stage. So now should I get a Bugle or go ahead spend the money on a Cornet2?

I mostly listen to rock music. I'm just now getting into vinyl and am doing it because CDs these days are mastered so horribly that I can't stand them. So I'm not very concerned about staging and imaging. I don't really care if the rock singer's screams are coming from a tightly focused center or if the artificially created reverb and stereo sounds accurately recreate musician placement or stage depth. I do care about minimum harshness, decent dynamics, and a snappy, aggressive, and big sound.

analog97

Re: Do I want a Bugle or Cornet2 phono stage?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:36 pm »
I just finished a Clarinet line stage. So now should I get a Bugle or go ahead spend the money on a Cornet2?

Simple.  Yes!!  I have a Clarinet, Cornet2 and Bugle.  The Clarinet and Cornet2 are a wonderful combo.   :thumb:

Ashurbanipal

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2008, 07:45 pm »
So in terms of harshness, dynamics, and snappiness, the Cornet2 is significantly better than a Bugle run at +/-15V? I'm secretly hoping someone will let me know that the Bugle is just as good if you're OK with solid state cause I don't really have money to drop on another tube pre. But I'd rather part with the money than be less than satisfied. I'm OK with solid state if it's high quality.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:58 pm »
The BUGLE is not as good.  It is great for the money, but it really doesn't stand up to a CORNET.  You can live with a BUGLE, but in the long run you'll probably be happier having invested in the tube stage.  If money is tight, get the BUGLE now, then sell it when you upgrade. 

jh

rotcoddam

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2008, 03:43 am »
Cornet :lol: or Cornet2 :icon_lol:
Bugle can't touch them. :nono:
(another happy customer :guitar:)