A new way to improve cheap system?

sturgee

A new way to improve cheap system?
« on: 23 Aug 2008, 04:55 am »
I just met a guy from Japan who claimed there's a way to improve the sound of any system but I am a little skeptical so I would like ask for the opion of all the experts on this forum to see if it makes any sense.  It is connected as followed:

original system:     source -->Preamp --> equalizer --> reciever A --> speakers

improved system:  source --> preamp --> equalizer --> RECEIVER B --> EQUALIZER B --> receiver A --> speakers

He said that it would sound clearer, more transparent and travel through every room in the house.  receiver B and equalizer B does not have to be expensive.  He said the reason he came up with this setup was because he did not have money to buy expensive gears so he just play around with what cheap stuff he has and this gave him the best sound.  Ever since, he been hooking up every system this way cheap or expensive.  He claim that it sounds better and all of his friend's expensive equipment.    An interesting thing was someone told me about this setup 8 years ago but I did not listen because it doesn't make any sense to me at all.  If any one could shed some light on this setup, I would be greatly appreciated it.

whubbard

Re: A new way to improve cheap system?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2008, 05:05 am »
Well I can add a little bit.
1) This setup will cause much more distortion, so I hope you don't care about the music sounding like it was recorded.
2) There is no need for two equalizers. It will do nothing. So EQ B is just adding distortion.
3) Reciever B in here is just being used a wire with distortion as I'm assume you are still talking about feeding line level into EQ B. Again, Reciever B is just adding distortion.

Therefore Reciever B and EQ B are providing no purpose, and I really can't see how it could sound better at all. The only way that I could see this system having any benefit is if the person likes the way that things are getting distorted. Otherwise it makes more sense to spend the money on one good piece, rather than 2 bad ones.

Have you actually heard and compared in this configuration? The proper way to compare would be to 'combine' the EQ settings into one, and remove a reciever.

-West

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:12 am »
equalisers?  really?  why not just have speakers that are made properly and no equaliser? :)

equalisers are usually very very bad for the sound quality.

In any case the subjective improvement in quality between the two would be in theory a doubling of the power available.\

A better system would be SOURCE > PRE > REC A + B > Speakers  where a and B are bi amping the speakers, thus presenting easier loads and allowing you to do some equalisation through the volume control.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:22 am »
There are Japanese Hifi enthusiasts that use upwards of 7 pre's in a chain... so it's not such a new thing.
The most expensive system in the world, uses 3 or 4 in a chain I believe... (It's a 5 million dollars system I believe..)  :o
There is an article on Lyra Connoisseurs main man Bjorge visiting this guy somewhere on the net.
But for using this on the cheap...
You can also use layered loops in a computer to emulate equalizers.
This could be done in foobar, or even a mainboards own MPU. (I've done it on an old computer ages ago..)
It will sound quite good, but all it is , is distortion, granted, that is all it is!

However... when you want it to sound as good as you can, sometimes, the right type of distortion isn't so bad
after all!

Why does seperates sometimes sound better than a one box solution?
An equally good question!!!!

So, what am I getting at here...
Using devises in a chained up way, was originally used to improve upon expensive systems!!!

Imperial

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:29 am »
Right but I think the application was quite different IIRC. The essence was basically a triamped or more system that used the different pres driving different amps for Mids Highs Lows ect. The different pres were used for to adjust the gain for the different drivers and amps. A master pre was used for overall volume once the other pres were properly set.

sturgee

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:42 am »
Thanks for all the responses.  I've actually argue all those points that you guys made already but he kept telling me that he know exactly how to setup a regular system but this is not a regular setup.  Two things that made me think he might be on to something is one: he's very knowledgeable about sounds and electronics even though his english is not fluent enough to be able to explain the physic's behind the setup and two: someone else told me about this setup sometimes back.  

Kenny

acwd1950

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2008, 01:46 pm »
We all think our systems sound better than our friends IMO, LOL. I might not have the best of everything in life but I do know what good music sounds like. Your friend thinks his system sounds better than his friends expensive system, then so be it! Dont try and understand it. I agree with the distortion sound, BUT I also use a EQUALIZER between MY CHEAP BSR Turntable and computer to convert records to CDs. I use it as a filter and to balance out the music. I have heard 100,000 dollar systems, impressed NO, I think of what I could USE the money for. I am a man of EXPENSIVE isnt ALWAYS BETTER. Im into vintage equipment, Harman Kardon, Sansui, Pioneer, etc. Got a few vintage tube amps. If your friend can take cheap equipment and run with the big dogs and beat them, IM PROUD OF HIM. Ive done the same thing as him, its not how much it costs, its how you use what you can afford! As I type this listening to my HK 430, Advent 3s, CHEAP RCA PORTABLE CD PLAYER, WALLYWORLD SPEAKER WIRE and it sounds DAMN GOOD to ME!!!!

soundbitten1

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2008, 02:41 pm »
Could someone explain how to daisy chain receivers ? What would the connections be ?

Thanks

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2008, 04:09 pm »
improved system:  source --> preamp --> equalizer --> RECEIVER B --> EQUALIZER B --> receiver A --> speakers

Apparently this person enjoys what we jokingly refer to as euphonic distortion. It is pointless to add more devices in the signal chain than needed. The only possible result is lower fidelity as each device alters the frequency response and adds its own noise and distortion.

--Ethan

whubbard

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:24 pm »

Apparently this person enjoys what we jokingly refer to as euphonic distortion. It is pointless to add more devices in the signal chain than needed. The only possible result is lower fidelity as each device alters the frequency response and adds its own noise and distortion.

--Ethan

Exactly what I was saying.

Kenny,
Are you shure he is using them in a chain, and not bi-amping? Because if he is bi-amping, then yes it can make an improvement. Otherwise he is blowing smoke.

-West

sturgee

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2008, 11:07 am »
He is using them in a chain.  He specifically pointed out that the output from receiver B, ( that is suppose to connect to the speaker) goes to equalizer B.  I am still talking to him and told him that couple hundred people has read this thread and they all have the same thinking as I did but he told me that I have to try it to believe. I might have to do that!

Kenny

whubbard

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:20 pm »
If your going to try, please do let us know what happens, but also then try in with the 2 EQ settings combined into one, and with the receivers Bi-Amping.

-West