Why such a problem taking "instant" indoor shots using a digital cam?

yooper

I currently own a Sony DCS-H1, and don't understand why I can't get an "in the moment shot' indoors (with or without flash). 

I press the button, wait for the cam to focus, it beeps but doesn't get it quite right, then I have to release the button and try again.  All while the "instant" shot is no longer instant, and the moment turns into a crappy shot.  :cuss:

Since I could use a cheap disposable camera without issue in these conditions, I would assume a descent digital cam could do the same, but the last few digital cams I owned all gave similar results.

Is this simply inherit of the digital technology when shooting indoors where bright light is not readily available?  Is there a a fix or is the answer to buy an SLR cam?  If an SLR cam answers my problem, should I be looking for a certain lens for indoor pics?

Mark

ooheadsoo

Interesting point that a disposable camera would do the trick.  I suspect those have a relatively wide angle and a fixed (hyper) focal point that leaves most everything in some relative state of focus.  Digicams will try to find focus - precise focus on whatever the sensors choose to focus on.  The time it takes throws you off.  I think even an SLR will have that issue to some degree.  Low light is a real focus killer.  Many slrs have an autofocus assist light that helps the camera's AF stay speedy in low light.  Not sure if pocket cams have this, too.  Other than that, there is no real solution to low light AF.  With an slr, you could approximate the disposable camera effect by using manual focus with a wide angle lens and making sure you stand sufficiently far away.

My solution is to prefocus and wait for the moment.  Not sure how feasible that is with pocket digicams.

IronLion

Thats one reason why I dislike those pocket digital cams, though they certainly have their advantages (they fit in your pocket).  Thats probably one of the biggest advantages of an SLR, their AF sensors are much more sensitive than a pocket cameras and you can always manual focus through the lens and just snap the shot with the proper exposure, so no waiting for the camera computer to try to take the picture, assuming you know how to do it properly.  A cheap disposable camera does in theory work so long as you keep your subjects past their preset focus distance (they usually focus from about 4ft on to infinity, meaning most shots are in focus but also not too sharp and with basically no depth of field) but their exposures are pretty hit or miss.  So in my mind your options are get a small (they're getting smaller and smaller) digital SLR, or stick to the small Sony and turn on some lights or try to get closer to your subjects so that your cameras autofocus light (on some models of the Sony I recall its almost a laser-grid pattern) is brighter and your autofocus sensor won't have to work as hard to achieve proper focus, which means you can take the photo faster.  If you go the SLR route, the lens you'd want for indoors would generally need to be pretty wide as you'd likely get a non full-frame sensor that magnifies a lenses focal length.  I have a 17-40 Canon that I love for anything indoors or out.