A Question about TVC Pre Amp

hmen

A Question about TVC Pre Amp
« on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:53 am »
Hi,
 I've been looking at the TAP six input pre with great interest. Aside from my curiosity about using a TVC in my system,  the HT passthrough and 2 XLR outputs are perfect for me. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to modify a unit so that one of the XLR outputs could be trimmed? In order for my system to work optimally I have to shave about 3.5 db from my bass amps. I could always use a pair of  of Rick Schultz' output attenuators but I'd guess that if you could do something internally it would probably be better . Thanks.

Howard   

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: A Question about TVC Pre Amp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm »
Hello!

First of all that pic in your signature is freek'n me out.....

The system is not setup to trim like that - although I will keep it in mind. The sub output on the current unit was done thinking of a sub connection - and most all subs or sub amps have level controls on them. I bi-amp myself from time to time and I know just what you need to do since I run into that same issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ricks attenuators would be great. Maybe a -3db pro audio XLR type attenuator (likely out there) would be a good clean way to do it if you know the atten level needed up front.

The current (new) 6 input TAP-X pre-amp is all RCA connections. It is rather easy to do a true ballanced unit and I might do one but - man - it drives the cost up. The Autoformer modules are the most expensive parts inside by far and to do bal right you double those up....... It'll be pushing $3K for a bal TAP-X I think. I have done a couple single input / dual output  bal units for folks and they work really nicely - just trying to decide if there will be enough market at $3K for a multi input bal one to go ahead and do the required design work and get a production batch of the parts needed, etc....

Maybe I should start a list and if I get to 5 guys who want'em then I'll spring that project loose. I am pounding away (literally) right now at the web update and will finally have the new stuff all online next week. I want to get that all buttoned up before I dive into any new design work!

Thansk!

John
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 10:38 pm by John Chapman »

indirstr8s

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 06:58 pm »
Is that Nixon?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2008, 07:50 pm »
Hello!

Yes it is but I have yet to figure out what he's saying. He's awfully excited about whatever it is so maybe it's better that way.......

Thansk!

John

hmen

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2008, 04:49 am »
John,
 Tricky Dicky is merely reminding us that he's not (was not?) a crook.  He was pretty scary at the time but in retrospect it all seems kind of quaint. I own a pretty interesting collection of political memorabilia and I find him to be the funniest president of my time. I recently got a chance to watch the entire Checkers Speech for the first time and it was just bizarrely compelling. What an operator. i guess I'll eventually replace the picture, possibly with a picture of J.Edgar Hoover in a sun dress.

About the TVC. I'm definitely interested in a fully balanced model. I'm thinking if of going with the Rick Schultz ultimate attenuator but I'm also considering a goldpoint attenuator.  I Tried to find a balanced 3 db attenuator but all I could find was 10, 20 and 30db models. If you decide to build a fully balanced TVC with a home theater pass through let me know.

Howard
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2008, 11:08 pm by hmen »