Wow!!! This is freaking great!

Spirit

• Volunteer
Wow!!! This is freaking great!
« on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:12 am »
Haven't posted on this Circle before, but just wanted to tell everyone that I have just installed a new Sonos Music system in 2 rooms of my house and I am absolutely floored!
The most fun I have had in audio in a very long time!!!
And, for someone like me, who is not blessed with computer savvy, to have installed the system in 15 minutes is a hoot.
Highly freaking recommended!!!!!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Wow!!! This is freaking great!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:15 am »
Tell us more Sam.... :hyper:

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:26 am »
Tell us more Sam.... :hyper:
Hey Chris! It's been awhile - hope you are well!
What can I tell you - this thing is awesome.
I am not going to comment on the normal "audiophile' stuff like sound quality for now but here is what I bought:
Bundle 150 - which includes:
1 Zoneplayer 90 - box that hooks up to any existing stero/home theatre system as a source
1 Zoneplayer 120 - this is a box that contains its own 55 watts per channel amp.
and the Handheld Controller
I also purchased 2 items separately:
One ZoneBridge
Charging cradle for the cotroller.
The Zonebridge connects to my wireless internet router and streams music to the 2 Zoneplayers wirelessly!
Within a few minutes the Handheld Controller recognized my entrie FLAC encoded library on my main computer and it was playing.  In addition, the system comes preloaded with a whole pile of Sonos "Radio" stations in all genres.  It also comes with a 30 day trial of Napster in Canada (Rhapsody in the States).
I can now play differnet music in 2 differnet rooms all controlled by the Handheld.
It is actually quite amazing - the most satisfying piece of audio gear I have played with in a long time!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:31 am »
Thanks Sam....good to see you back. :thumb:

I'll watch for your future comments about the sound quality. :wink:

Chris

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:40 am »
Longtime sonos user here too, I cant be made to futz with disc changing anymore. Will soon be doing a comparo vs a stock and cullen modded ZP into my GR research DAC

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2008, 10:01 am »
I got one too. It's more expensive than Duet, but rock solid, lightning fast, and super easy to setup and use. Doesn't require a separate PC running the server software to work, just a NAS to hold the music. Scans music folder for new stuff in about 15 seconds. Zones can be synched sample perfect. I haven't listened critically to the analog line outputs, but the 50W amplified unit sounds very good. Their tech support is awesome too. They can connect to your PC, work out problems remotely, fine tune your wireless, force a patch if necessary, and they absolutely will not stop bothering you until a problem is fully resolved. Yes, they called me back, 3 times with additional related info. Very impressive and recommended if you're tired of logitech.
Rich

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2008, 06:27 am »
I've been looking at a SB 3 and would really like to hear further comments on the Sonos, particularly the Cullen modified version.
Thanks
Mark

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2008, 02:04 pm »
The amp unit is ok but not for serious 2 channel. The analog outs of the ZP80 are not anything good but the digital out into a good DAC is very good indeed, not quite up to the big modded SBs but then again those use 1K+ PSUs and more in mods. I fully expect the cullen mod to close the gap at least.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2008, 02:27 pm »
So do you have to use the amp with the Sonos?  Just wondering if there is a way to get their remote, the interface, and hard drive but use my own amp? I am sure their amp cannot compare to anything like the audiophile systems we all use.

James

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2008, 02:47 pm »
The Sonos doesnt do hires music. 24/96. So unless the interface is spectacular, I would stick with SB3.. You would need a Transporter to do hires.
Mike

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2008, 03:47 pm »
The interface is spectacular. The Cullen mod can upsample to 96 or 192 but your righ no direct HiRez streaming you would need the 2-4K transporter. And yes you can use analog outs (not my preference) or digital outs into a DAC and use your own amp. Digital volume can be used on the Sonos remote in both analog out or digital out or set the zone player to "line out" for use with a pre amp.

The sonos does not stream DRM material (like itunes downloads) but it does gapless playback- something I cant stand is gaps in playback that kill the proper flow of a music score.

golfugh

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2008, 05:32 pm »
Thanks for the info!  Has anyone compared the Sonos through a DAC in a 2-channel system vs the SB3 through the same setup.

Currently using PS Audio Digi Link III w/lvl 4 mods, Odyssey Candela/Mono extremes.

The interface sounds amazing, just wondering on the overall sound quality comparison.

Mark

golfugh

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2008, 02:01 pm »
Thanks for the info!  Has anyone compared the Sonos through a DAC in a 2-channel system vs the SB3 through the same setup.

Currently using PS Audio Digi Link III w/lvl 4 mods, Odyssey Candela/Mono extremes.

The interface sounds amazing, just wondering on the overall sound quality comparison.

Mark

Anyone tried both of these? or, have comments on/use the Sonos in 2-channel setup?
Thanks

Philistine

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2008, 02:22 pm »
I installed a Sonus at a friends house last year - very easy to setup and great user interface.

SignalPath have a unit Decco (DAC/Integrated Amp - tubed preamp), under the brand PeachTree Audio, that has a rear dock that swallows up the Sonus and processes the output:

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/Sonos-ZP80.html

6moons have a pending review on the Decco so it will be interesting how they rate it.
Also see that Steve Nugent has a mod for the Sonos.

I have a Transporter and Duet, when they work they work great but when they start to go wrong they can be infuriating to fix.  Whereas the Sonos is so easy to setup and maintain with a smoother interface.   

golfugh

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2008, 10:18 pm »
Thanks for the info, but I'm already using a PSAudio digital link III w/lvl 4 mods.

Has anyone compared the Sonos through a DAC in a 2-channel system vs the SB3 through the same setup.

Looking for options and I'm wondering about the overall sound quality comparison.

Mark

golfugh

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2008, 01:17 pm »
Longtime sonos user here too, I cant be made to futz with disc changing anymore. Will soon be doing a comparo vs a stock and cullen modded ZP into my GR research DAC

pbrstreetgang
Any update on comparo between stock and the Cullen modded ZP?
golf

golfugh

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2008, 11:16 pm »
bump

jcrane

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2008, 08:19 pm »
For the sonus player, does it have built in wireless to use with your wireless network or do you HAVE to have the sonus bridge?

Jamie