Kevin – EBS?

rick57

Kevin – EBS?
« on: 20 Aug 2008, 04:21 am »
Hi Kevin

With those whacking Xmax’s, the Shiva-X, Tempest-X and Maelstrom are particularly well placed to handle EBS alignments, especially for ‘ultimate’ home theatre, ie the octave 10 – 20 Hz. (With the need for a steep filter at c 12-14 Hz).

Neither the Shiva-X or Tempest-X application notes mention these.

Is that more because
 - There’s not that much content 10 – 20 Hz (though where there is, its lots of fun)  :)
 - They’re big (rule of thumb 1.6 – 2 times Vas)
 - WAF worries
 - Building structure worries  :lol:
 . . ?

Thanks, Rick

Kevin Haskins

Re: Kevin – EBS?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2008, 05:18 pm »
Hi Kevin

With those whacking Xmax’s, the Shiva-X, Tempest-X and Maelstrom are particularly well placed to handle EBS alignments, especially for ‘ultimate’ home theatre, ie the octave 10 – 20 Hz. (With the need for a steep filter at c 12-14 Hz).

Neither the Shiva-X or Tempest-X application notes mention these.

Is that more because
 - There’s not that much content 10 – 20 Hz (though where there is, its lots of fun)  :)
 - They’re big (rule of thumb 1.6 – 2 times Vas)
 - WAF worries
 - Building structure worries  :lol:
 . . ?

Thanks, Rick

I guess it is mainly because I don't find traditional EBS alignments all that practical.     I try to give people a basic starting point that covers the applications that I would build for myself.   

rick57

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2008, 03:07 am »
In what sense not practical - the size?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:59 pm »
Yea.... they are big.    Either a sonotube or a slot port are typically the way to go.    I like sonotube for those large builds because if you are building them out of MDF, they will get large and heavy quick. 

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2008, 02:37 pm »
There have been quite a few EBS-alignment systems built using the original Tempest driver, just hit up Google for some examples.  Many people don't really like the sound of EBS systems because they expect subwoofers to be "punchy"; to make the bass "hit them in the chest," which is something that happens between 40Hz and 120Hz, not down in the sub-fs rumble that an EBS can produce.  But if you like pipe organ music, an EBS system is your ticket - just be prepared for a 15 to 20 cuft system!

If you need help designing an EBS for one of the Exodus drivers, let me know and I'll be happy to make a suggestion.  I agree that with their high power handling and gigantic Xmax they would be great in that alignment.

rick57

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:34 am »
Hi dyohn

I put my EBS idea in a new thread

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58904.new#new

How much minimum clearance should I have between the rear of the driver and the rear box wall?

Thanks

rick57

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:36 am »
Hi dyohn

I should have said, I know EBS adds bass below the “hit in the chest” range.

EBS is for movies 0.1, and for general “added enjoyment”.

Cheers

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2008, 01:18 pm »
Hi dyohn

I put my EBS idea in a new thread

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58904.new#new

How much minimum clearance should I have between the rear of the driver and the rear box wall?

Thanks

I replied in your other thread.  As far as minimum clearance, subwoofers with vented pole pieces need about 3/4" between the back of the magnet and the rear baffle.