Advice on switching out system

calbear81

Advice on switching out system
« on: 19 Aug 2008, 06:09 pm »
Hey ACers,

I've decided to focus the center of my system on my Squeezebox and am looking to sell most of my current setup and buy a new setup.

I'm currently running SB3 via RCA > Primare I21 Integrated Amp Pre-Outs > SoundCraftsmen Vintage A5002 Amp > Focal 807V monitors

I was thinking of selling the Integrated and the Amp and go to a simple SB3 Coax Digital > Bechmark DAC1 Pre Balanced > Some IcePower 500W Amp (Maybe the D-Sonic).

Will going to a completely balanced setup provide a significant benefit for me?  I'm sure taking the SB3 to the Benchmark DAC will give me an improvement.  How much of an improvement are we talking about?  I'm guessing that after I sell the equipment, I"ll most likely need to front $1,400 to get it to the new setup.  Worth it or not? 

I don't have golden ears but I would appreciate a near dead silent background and moving down to 20lbs of total gear would be wonderful for moving (although not as macho!).

Opinions appreciated.

lcrim

Re: Advice on switching out system
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2008, 08:08 pm »
If you want to reduce to the minimum why not have Wayne mod the SB3 analog outs and splurge on a good PS and use the digital volume control in the SB3 direct to your power amp?  DAC or preamp not needed.

calbear81

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2008, 09:44 pm »
From the reviews I've read, the balanced out to balanced in provide the absolute cleanest connection between the systems.  Also, the DAC on the Benchmark would be an upgrade to the standard one on the SB3, no?  I might pick up an SB3 PS upgrade from CIAudio if that will make a big difference.

Roger

calbear81

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2008, 09:52 pm »
Oh BTW, that is a very interesting suggestion to go from the SB3 direct to amp, I will give that a try tonight.

The only reason to use the Benchmark would be for the DAC upgrade and also since I might keep a CD player handy and possibly use a turntable and phono preamp in the future into the DAC1 Pre's analog in.

Roger

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2008, 01:50 pm »
Hello Calbear,

Audio is like rearranging furniture.  When you move into a new place, how many times did you have to move your tables and sofas around until it worked?  I know I had to move a bookcase up and down 3 floors several times before we (my wife in particular) were happy with the outcome.  Audio is like that too.  You can think up a great system but you won't know until you actually try it in your room.  I have a fully modded Bolder unit with an Ultimate PS that you can try if you want. It's a spare just sitting around at the moment.  PM me if you are interested.  Why are you using preouts from an integrated amp?

avta

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2008, 02:12 pm »
Calbear:
You might also consider the Transporter rather than a SB. I believe it has a significantly better internal dac and would be able to play higher resolution files. Transporter can play 24/96 files while SB cannot.