Is there a digital recording system that does not require monthly service?

Big Red Machine

I need to record NFL games that I cannot watch and thought a digital recorder would be better than using the VCR.  But I keep seeing monthly charges required for their use.  How do I find one that does not require this as I only need it during football season?

John Casler

I need to record NFL games that I cannot watch and thought a digital recorder would be better than using the VCR.  But I keep seeing monthly charges required for their use.  How do I find one that does not require this as I only need it during football season?

DVD and or Hard Drive recorder maybe?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
You can buy a stand alone DVR (Digital Video Recorder) that works just like a VCR.
You can tell it to record channel --- at --:--am/pm for --- minutes.
There's no service needed (like TiVo), since it's basically a glorified "alarm clock".
There's 100 different ways to wire it into your system, but it should be pretty far "upstream" in your cable (coax) since it must have the ability to 'see' all of the available channels and change them as needed.

Bob

Big Red Machine

You can buy a stand alone DVR (Digital Video Recorder) that works just like a VCR.
There's no service needed (like TiVo), since it's basically a glorified "alarm clock".
There's 100 different ways to wire it into your system, but it should be pretty far "upstream" in your cable (coax) since it must have the ability to 'see' all of the available channels and change them as needed.

Bob

Can you give me some brands or models to look at Bob?  Everything I see is Tive this and Tive that.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat57300050006&type=category#anchor4

not sure if this will help but it does answer some questions on dvr's

ED

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Here's a Wiki on "DVR":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder

BRM - Yes, the unit you linked to will record TV/cable/sat.
HOWEVER. You HAVE to have a PC connected to it:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html?tab=5
This means your PC would have the software to make it a "TiVo" like unit. You PC is the brains, this unit is merely a fancy harddrive.

Bob

John Casler

Bob

Can you give me some brands or models to look at Bob?  Everything I see is Tive this and Tive that.

Here is an example of a Philips model:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR3575H-37-Upscaling-Built/dp/B000P76KXY/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219088902&sr=8-2

Doublej

Type DVD Recorder into Amazon and you'll see a bunch of them with and without tuners. 

If you want to record HD get yourself a home theater PC running Windows Vista Ultimate as I have been told that recording is part of Vista Ultimate.

What makes a home theater PC different from a regular PC? An HD OTA tuner and a graphics card that outputs HD. I believe some of them will even accept a cable card.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Unless I'm the one that's confused, I don't think he's looking to burn DVD's.  :scratch:
He's wanting a DVR that will store the program (football game) on an internal harddrive until he decides to delete it.

Here's a good article explaining what DVR is, and what I think he's wanting;
http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrs/a/capturemethod2.htm

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
I'm seeing a LOT of these DVD recorders that have internal harddrives for the sole purpose of recording TV. Their is no monthly subscription, therefore there's no EPG (Electronic Program guide).
So maybe I was the one that was confused. "Back in the old days" of DVR's, there was a truckload of options. I'm not seeing as many as I thought I would.
But it look like Polaroid makes a DVD/DVR, model #DRA-01601A

Bob

John Casler

Unless I'm the one that's confused, I don't think he's looking to burn DVD's.  :scratch:
He's wanting a DVR that will store the program (football game) on an internal harddrive until he decides to delete it.

Here's a good article explaining what DVR is, and what I think he's wanting;
http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrs/a/capturemethod2.htm

Bob

I believe the Philips link I posted has a small 160G HD onboard too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Yup, sorry about. Seems the DVD/DVR combo is the prevalent way to do it nowdays.

Bob

John Casler

Yup, sorry about. Seems the DVD/DVR combo is the prevalent way to do it nowdays.

Bob

Big "downside" on these is that they are pretty much SD TV (480p at best)

Plus they (as you or someone mentioned) don't have "schedules or grids" from which to program the recording. 

To really do it right you need to go HTPC, but then you are "bucks up" for a technology that will soon be overtaken with "online" options like VUDU, and other such On Demand services.

It is only a matter of time and supertructure before "ALL" programming and video entertainment will be "On Demand" and or "Time Shifted" from online and not "stored" on your resident system

Lotsa "kinks" but it is on the way aa.

Doublej

Bob

Plus they (as you or someone mentioned) don't have "schedules or grids" from which to program the recording. 

To really do it right you need to go HTPC, but then you are "bucks up" for a technology that will soon be overtaken with "online" options like VUDU, and other such On Demand services.

It is only a matter of time and supertructure before "ALL" programming and video entertainment will be "On Demand" and or "Time Shifted" from online and not "stored" on your resident system

How many decades are you thinking here John? The football season starts in a month.

rydenfan

Through D*TV I think my monthly fee is like $4.99 a month at most for the DVR, and it is worth it's weight in gold. I believe they even credit me back this fee every month so technically it is nothing. But even if I had to pay the $4.99 it would be the best 5 bucks I spend every month. I cannot remember (outside of the Olympics) the last time I watched something in real-time and had to suffer through all of the commercials.

JP78

you can purchase a high definition tivo box with lifetime service.  the total cost is approximately 700usd, but you can transfer that lifetime service to any box at any later date. you need one lifetime service per box, not per household.

best,

jp

Dan Driscoll

you can purchase a high definition tivo box with lifetime service.

Alternatively, you can buy a Tivo and simply not purchase the programming service. Tivo DVRs do have manual recording capability, just like a standard VCR. A used Tivo would also be a good option.

John Casler

Bob

How many decades are you thinking here John? The football season starts in a month.

Yeah, it won't be tomorrow :cry: