Can iPods accept FLAC files?

Big Red Machine

Can iPods accept FLAC files?
« on: 17 Aug 2008, 02:06 pm »
Wife wants an iPod for the office for the massage room which she can control the music content (meaning I'll get the job).  Can I transfer over files from my FLAC library and plop them on a unit?

ebag4

Re: Can iPods accept FLAC files?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2008, 03:05 pm »
BRM,
If your iPod is one of the units shown on this page:

http://build.rockbox.org/

Then you can load Rockbox on your iPod and play FLAC files.  The newest "Classic" version of iPods can not use Rockbox at this time.

Ed

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2008, 03:09 pm »
No, they cannot, unless it's a model that you can install Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) onto and you're willing to do so.  I ran Rockbox on my old iRiver player, but I haven't tried it on my iPod. 

I'm thinking of trying it on my Sansa player.

Edit: what he said ^  :)

bbaker6212

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2008, 03:13 pm »
I tried rockbox on a 3rd gen 30GB Ipod.  sometimes it works, sometimes not.  I have found it not to be very reliable though it may be that particular build (for that Ipod). They are all separate builds.  When it works it sounds very good.  When it doesn't work, the play controls don't work at all.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2008, 03:40 pm »
I would highly recommend Rockbox.  I've used it on my 4th gen model and have never had any glitches.  Just make sure you have the latest version loaded.

-Jim

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2008, 04:42 pm »
You could also just download the FLAC plugin for Quicktime and then import FALC files into iTunes for use on the pod...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:49 pm »
You could also just download the FLAC plugin for Quicktime and then import FALC files into iTunes for use on the pod...

Hey,

Can you elaborate on this?  I am trying to figure out how to use my TB of FLAC files on iPod Classic. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2008, 01:33 pm »

??  I beg to differ completely, but I could be wrong or out of date.  Explain how iTunes handles native FLAC files, not OGG from the XiphQT plugin.  Explain how a standard non-rockbox iPod handles FLAC files.

Woodsyi, an Ipod Classic is not supported by Rockbox, and this post above is erroneous in my opinion, unless there's been a monumental change in Apple policy or security.  There are some 3rd party hacks, like vic4iphone, that are in beta and seem to work for the iphone and itouch.  I know of nothing for the forgotten Classic.