Tropic Thunder

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Tropic Thunder
« on: 13 Aug 2008, 07:57 pm »
It's not P.C. but it sure is funny.

Had some real good laughs with this one, many, many chuckles.  Practically had a tear in my eye the whole damn time.  Really nice pop parody, not for everyone but I would assume if you're going to see it you know what to expect.  Well done from start to finish, my second most enjoyable movie after Batman so far this year.

Several cameo's including a big cameo role by a major star that plays out of character and is just hilarious  :lol:, you won't look at them the same way again.

Downey Jr. just had me cracking up, I couldn't wait to here what came out of his mouth next, too funny.  What a year for him, big time comeback with two notable roles.

If you like comedy (this genre especially), this one's a go see.

jimdgoulding

Re: Tropic Thunder
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:09 pm »
Joey Bags-  This is on my list.  Doesn't Robert J Downey play a black dude?

launche

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:20 pm »
Joey Bags-  This is on my list.  Doesn't Robert J Downey play a black dude?

Yes, he plays an aussie dude, who plays a black dude, pretending to be another dude, pretending to be another dude, who gets confused about what dude he really is. "Dude, I know who you are?", "You do?" "You are ____?

The_KiD

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:28 pm »
I am hoping to get out this weekend and see this. I am a big Jack Black fan but I hear that Robert Downey Jr steals the show!

I thought this was funny... Check out this Youtube stint..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNVJG15tGs

Chris

launche

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2008, 08:07 pm »
That's a funny youtube skit.  One of those (The Panda or Iron Man) makes a funny cameo appearance as well.

Yes, Downey steals the show (if you get the nature of his performance, if you don't them you'll be annoyed for an 1:45 minutes I guess), I think I got it and I was cracking up.  BTW, the movie wasn't too over the top, which was good.  I thought they blended things well. Jack Black does a good job too, so does Stiller.  The cameo actor  steals the show in their own right with a few scenes that are just off the wall (the way I saw it.)

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2008, 08:35 pm »
I hope so b/c pineapple express simply sucked

launche

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2008, 08:54 pm »
I hope so b/c pineapple express simply sucked

My brother-in-law dragged me to the express and it fell flat for me, I figured it would be OK and it was just OK.

I went to see Tropic Thunder with my local sports radio station hosts and about 400 other listeners and we had a blast, I'm sure our crowd helped with the fun atomsphere and maybe someone seeing the movie in a different setting might get different results, but we had a blast.

One of the hosts Dan LeBatard (Who also does P.T.I. on ESPN) stated he thinks Downey should get an Oscar nomination for the role and that the cameo actor turned in his finest performance of their career.  Now you have to know Dan to get what he's saying but still...

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2008, 09:20 pm »
I am assuming you live in Miami. Dan is a pretty funny guy. I am near Sarasota.

launche

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2008, 12:38 am »
I am assuming you live in Miami. Dan is a pretty funny guy. I am near Sarasota.

Rydenfan,
I'm in Fort Lauderdale.  Dan is amusing, I like that he doesn't take himself or life too seriously.  His radio show is funny, of course because they talk about sports only about 25% of the time.

One of his points was he feels the cameo actor is pretty much the same person in every movie and it was very refreshing to see them do a 180 degree character change.  I think alot of audiences are going to find that hysterical.

BTW, the opening of the movie is very funny in its own right.
Again, go see this one before too much leaks out and before expectations affect ones enjoyment factor.  I would have loved had they not even let it be known that Downey was playing his character, would have made it all the more fun and I bet many would not have figured it out for awhile, of ever.  But I realize that's the hook that's get people intrigued.

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2008, 11:04 pm »
BEST CAMEO EVER

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:45 am »
"I'm a dude, playin' a dude, disguised as another dude!"...that gets me every time. I'll wait for the rental but am excited to see it :D

Mark

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2008, 02:12 am »
Went with my wife and daughter. It was hilarious although not for everyone. As we were walking out I heard a woman saying it was terrible.

launche

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2008, 02:46 am »
Went with my wife and daughter. It was hilarious although not for everyone. As we were walking out I heard a woman saying it was terrible.

I guess Mamma Mia is more her taste.

"I'm a dude, playin' a dude, disguised as another dude!"...that gets me every time. I'll wait for the rental but am excited to see it :D

Mark

Check it out in the theater with like minded folk... laughter is contagious.  It's like the Krispy Kreme sign flashing HOThttp://