iPhone 3G signal strength/network issues

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
iPhone 3G signal strength/network issues
« on: 10 Aug 2008, 05:21 am »
From my house and my neighborhood I had NO SERVICE on my phone last night, and dropped some calls today. I have discovered that this is an international problem with the iPhone 3G. Although the AT&T site shows that my area has full 3G strength and moderate EDGE strength, it is just not true at least with the iPhione 3G.

Anyone else having issues with 3G or EDGE on the iPhone 3G?

Unfortunately I am not alone and the troubleshooting shows it is not AT&T since outside the US many have this issue

I have upgraded iTunes, upgraded my phone to 2.01 and restored it (necessary to complete the upgrade).

Went to the AT&T store today, where I got the phone on Friday afternoon and had 5 bars for both networks! One would think that this is an AT&T issue but it is more complicated than that...My opinion now is that there is an issue with how the phone interacts with 3G network towers, etc. Possibly authentication issues with certain towers also.

To see the huge range of experiences around the world check out this Apple thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7606244#7606244

Hopefully Apple and AT&T (and other 3G networks around the globe) can figure this one out. Unfortunately this IPhone ( and MobileMe, and...) is one of those beta tests that the computer industry puts its customers through.

On  positive note I seem to have 1 bar on 3G and 2 on edge tonight in my house, better than today. Hopefully this phone will be usable for me at my house  :duh: or I will have to take it back.

jqp

• Volunteer
Re: iPhone 3G signal strength/network issues
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2008, 02:51 pm »
No do not upgrade an original iPhone yet, even if you are in a good 3G area! I am in a good 3G area and barely get 1 bar at my house. If I hold my hand in the natural position when dialing I usually drop a call   :evil: In other parts of town I get 3-5 bars. Also it seems 2 phones can have vastly different signal strength when they are side-by-side.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2008, 06:40 pm »
I thought this may be another factor...

The antenna is on the bottom so If you use a metal case for the iPhone this somewhat will interfer with the signal.

2.02 software should fix this...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2008, 08:44 pm »
no it does not

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2008, 09:34 pm »
I was always told by AT&T customers that service has been spotty.  I figured signals can be affected by many forms of barriers.  This is one of the reason I am staying with T-mobile using my pwned iPhone. 

On a side note: you are paying additional $15 on top for the 3g services.   

chgolatin2

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:45 am »
Go into your  network setting and where you see 3G box uncheck it.  3G is mainly use for internet and not phone service.  Also, when you have 3G on it depletes the battery.  If you visited an ATT Store one of the tech should of informed you about the network settings and potential problems, also, you can try to swap your sim card out that may solve some of your issues if not all of them

sabes

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:52 pm »
 :evil: ok i've had it with dropped calls and no-call zones. and the logey service that accompanied my upgrade to 2.0 (now 2.1) - i have faithfully tried to use this iphone for business but i can't take the at&t service anymore. so off to crackberry-land i go, where the verizon service is good and coverage doesn't drop...pity - such a well-thought-out piece of hardware, fatally handicapped by awful cell service.

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:00 pm »
ATT service sucks, their coverage is not the BEST like they advertised.  I recently had the 2G and now the 3G version.  I kept loosing calls, drop calls, call failures etc with BOTH phones.  Finally got fed up and I "UNLOCKED/JAILBREAKING" and switched service to T-Mobile.  No drop calls, superb signal and no issues as of yet.  So far I am happy...  Before I couldnt make calls from my basement, didn't have enough bars or signal power but now, WOW full bars.

Don't mean to sound like an ANTI ATT&T guy or advertise for them or anybody else for that matter but I am speaking the facts.  Hmmmmm, G1 phone is coming out soon so let's see how it compares....

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:44 pm »
I totally understand your sentiments. I feel the same way about Verizon's coverage in my area.  :wink:

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:26 pm »
Good move.  Now you save money by just switching to T-mobile. :)

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:16 am »
Well, I have some good news for potential iPhone users in my area - it seems AT&T has fixed the signal issues in my home neighborhood. I don't think I have had any problems making or receiving call now for a couple of weeks...which means its like a real cell phone now, it works fine everywhere I go.

Also I did complain to AT&T about all my dropped calls. They investigated my call history (they can see exactly how many were dropped from where I think) and in 2 days I got a text message saying I had a credit - $56! So I feel much better about the Apple iPhone 3G and AT&T these days, and would definitely recommend it knowing that they will come through with customer service eventually. I will also say that the AT&T reps I have spoken with seem to be more knowledgeable, intelligent, and professional than my old providers reps. I also realize that I have been very patient with AT&T, and given them the benefit of the doubt for a time, but that it has paid off.