Anyone running an AVA SL preamp with a U70?

Wayner

Anyone running an AVA SL preamp with a U70?
« on: 8 Aug 2008, 10:03 pm »
My lastest itch is to acquire the SL preamp to mate with the Ultimate 70. I currently am having my EC and 260EX upgraded to Insight series and I was using the T8 in my second system when a bad cap decided to show up. Shit happens and you certainly can't blame that on anyone and that kind of crap is hard to find (because its so low level)...the cap occasionally will sound like rice crispies on the left channel and once in a while, hiss like a snake. I know Frank will find the dirty dog but in the mean time, it left me with only a miserable Dynaco PAT-4 as the only and lowly preamp (except for the big room) in the place. How could I be without an AVA preamp? What the hell is going on...I can't be without vinyl. ( :bawl: :violin:). So I think I need a back up to the back-up. I've been playing musical wires with the EC and the U70 for awhile anyway and maybe it's time to cover all the bases. My likes are solid state preamp with tube amp.

Anybody else got the same setup?

Wayner aa

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Anyone running an AVA SL preamp with a U70?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2008, 11:01 pm »
Wayner -

Your situation is truly disheartening.  :(  But as I'm sure you know better than I, given the many fine folks here someone will step forward to aid in your time of need, despair not.    :shake:

Best wishes for a speedy resolution to your dilema. And don't forget that the 'back-up' slope is a slippery one. You get a backup for the backup, then that needs a backup (just in case), and so on. Before long your in competition with NASA for who's systems have the most redundency, and it's no longer 'just' a hobby. 

JD

mark funk

Re: Anyone running an AVA SL preamp with a U70?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2008, 12:56 am »
I have been in the same boat, had to send my T-5 in for some work and after a few days I put in a Adcom GTP-350, and, well, that didn't sound too good so I went a few more years back in time and put in one of my Dyna PAT-4s. You know the PAT-4  sounded better then the Adcom. What I use for a backup is an AVA PAT-5 Super Fet and it still sounds good but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I think I should ask Frank if the Insight is an upgrade in the PAT-5? Hang in there your stuff well be back soon and all well be well. :smoke: