« on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:59 am »
Just In! Comments Later...  :D :D :D :D

Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Woo! Woo! Naked BDA-1 DAC Pics!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2008, 04:15 am »
Nice Mike....enjoy... :beer:

You need to bring it to the next Rave so we can hear it ... 8)

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2008, 04:58 am »
Nice real nice Now try not to get anything that don't wipe off easy on it. :thumb:

nikolas

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:39 pm »
Nice

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:51 pm »

hi, mike!

nice pics. could you hear a difference when using the upsampling feature?

regards,

alex.

Cacophonix

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2008, 04:06 am »
Bryston products just seem to ooze quality!

Is this the same DAC that is in the integrated B100 SST?

denjo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2008, 04:43 am »

Cacophonix
I think the B-100 DAC uses the Crystal CS 43122 chip (similar to the SP2) whereas the BDA-1 uses a higher end chip, the CS 4398, the same chip that is used for the BCD-1 CDP. I hope my understanding is right!  :wink:

Yes, Bryston seems to ooze quality! The build quality of my new B100-DA/P is beyond reproach.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2008, 10:28 am »

Cacophonix
I think the B-100 DAC uses the Crystal CS 43122 chip (similar to the SP2) whereas the BDA-1 uses a higher end chip, the CS 4398, the same chip that is used for the BCD-1 CDP. I hope my understanding is right!  :wink:

Yes, Bryston seems to ooze quality! The build quality of my new B100-DA/P is beyond reproach.

Hi,

The CD Player and the DAC use the Crystal 4398 chip.  It is not a 'higher end' chip it is simply the replacement chip for the CS43122 which is no longer produced. 

I assume there are some small differences between the chips but as I have said before the major difference between our digital equipment and others is the use of our proprietary Bryston Class A Discrete analog circuitry and the serious attention to totally independent power supplies and ground planes though out our gear.

james
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2008, 02:35 pm by James Tanner »

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2008, 05:23 pm »
Well if being there is important to you! Then the BDA-1 DAC is the one for You! You hear nothing but the music, so much texture, reality and stop/start precision. Beautiful! Toe Tapping! Im writing while I listen to a little jazz... so I will free ramble :) Definitely like a veil has been lifted between me and the music. While the DAC was being built I was listening mainly out of the SB3 DAC, which isnt horrible .. but I get the impressionnow that it was nice warm mush. Everything congealed.

Now.. I have a nice soundstage. Fast, detailed, And it still retains a very musical nature. And with the upsampling on, the instruments/players become more apparent, larger. Brings them to the forefront. I wouldnt say its necessarily a bigger soundstage though. Great stuff! This is my first Bryston, now I think I will have to look at more. The build quality is impeccable! I joked with James that they must wear white gloves while building these things... ANyways enough gushing, back to the music.
Mike

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2008, 01:29 am »
Hey!

What a misleading headline on this thread. Where's the naked pic of the BDA-1? At least let me see the it topless and what underneath the cover! aa

Anyway, enjoy your new DAC Mike :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:27 am »
Hey!

What a misleading headline on this thread. Where's the naked pic of the BDA-1? At least let me see the it topless and what underneath the cover! aa

Take care,

Hi There,

There is a shot of the insides in the DAC brochure - contact me and I will email you a copy.
jamestanner@bryston.ca

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:30 am »
Hey!

Take care,
I don't care if there are two chipmunks making LOVE inside the DAC (and who am i to watch and stare?), w/e is going on in there its the best DAC Ive heard, well, ever...
!!!
Mike

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2008, 04:53 am »
Hey!

Take care,

Hi There,

There is a shot of the insides in the DAC brochure - contact me and I will email you a copy.
jamestanner@bryston.ca

Hey!

Thanks James for being such a good sport. But I was just pulling Mike/mcullinan's leg. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I will see it when some audio reviewers popped it top off and put the picture in the review.  :D

Take care,

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2008, 05:48 pm »
One thing I noticed about the BDA vs other DACs Ive owned is that there is a whole new world in the high frequencies. Lots of texture and detail that was just not there before. Also the dynamics are dopey fresh! I think the BDA actually does what it says and has little or no jitter, and has brought my system to a whole new level!
Mike

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2008, 05:56 pm »
Can't wait to hear this dac,  Mike  :thumb: get it burnt in

tfroncek

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2008, 07:14 pm »
Looks like a suberb DAC for redbook.  I feel the tractor beam pulling me in.

My reservation is the lack of HDMI input in a new product release seems other than bleeding edge.  I don't want to get into HT/multi-channel and this DAC seems like 2-channel heaven but I am concerned that even 2-channel high-end audio releases are going to drift into the DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD formats.  It is already the case that new DVD players only output 48K LPCM to the coax and toslink digital outputs.  Even the standard 96/24 stereo PCM of DVD video format gets sent to HDMI only. SACD DSD also gets sent up to HDMI.

Where are the high-end DACs with HDMI?  I don't want to buy a pre-pro. Does any DAC manufacturer have a roadmap which has HDMI which as a minimum would play the 24/96 stereo PCM which doesn't get output on toslink/coax in today's DVD player market.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22/how-to-actually-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd/

The_KiD

« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2008, 09:26 pm »
Congrats on your purchase Mike! What a great looking piece of gear too. Man, listening to your description, makes me want to go out and audition one. I would agree that the SB3 on it's own is decent but it is truly enjoyable through a quality outboard DAC. What digital cable are you using with it? Curious..

Cheers,

-Chris

mcullinan

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm »
Congrats on your purchase Mike! What a great looking piece of gear too. Man, listening to your description, makes me want to go out and audition one. I would agree that the SB3 on it's own is decent but it is truly enjoyable through a quality outboard DAC. What digital cable are you using with it? Curious..

Cheers,

-Chris
I am using a Morrow Audio Dig 1 cable with Eichman Bullets.
See here. http://www.audiosold.com/dig1digitalcable.htm
Previously I had a MIT, albeit 10 years old. This one is definitely better in all areas. I just bought a Signal Cable digital cable  for my HT input and the Morrow is better. I have yet to try any really expensive dig cables.
Mike

ashtarul

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2008, 07:41 pm »
Just wondering Mike, what other DACs have you compared the BDA-1 with?
Ash

mcullinan

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2008, 07:50 pm »
I own(ed) the Theta Chroma 396, LAvry Dac DA10, Stello DA100 Signature, and the Squeezebox 3 internal. Ive listened to the Electrocompaniet, Art Dio, Zahlou, Paradesea, Dodson, Bel Canto and a few others. I think when you are listening mainly through a Squeezebox its the most important link in the chain. I guess they all are. Meaning if I had a bad amp/preamp etc. but the DAC is important! haha.
Mike