Upgrading for VPI Scout TT

tanchiro58

Upgrading for VPI Scout TT
« on: 5 Aug 2008, 09:51 am »
Hello Scout owners,

I wonder what did you upgrade your Scout TT (power supply, platter, tonearm and vibration control...) to bring it to a higher level closer to Scoutmaster TT? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tan

twitch54

Re: Upgrading for VPI Scout TT
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:16 am »
While I don't have a Scout, rather an Aries III, I can say without reservation, one of the best upgrades for any VPI is an SDS unit. It provides 'dead-on' accuracy along with ease of speed change from 33 to 45.

Along with that I've added the 'Super Platter' and 'Perf Ring', my record clamp of choice is the Black Diamond Racing.

AliG

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:36 am »
twitch... I have exactly the same system as you except the superplatter... what kind of change do you hear from upgrading to superplatter?

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:22 am »
twitch... I have exactly the same system as you except the superplatter... what kind of change do you hear from upgrading to superplatter?

Along with the weight advantage (better flywheel and added stability combined with the SDS) it has provided, IMO, an ever so 'blacker'. ie. quieter resolution to the recording. While exspensive I did re-coup $400 with the sale of the stock platter.

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2008, 03:59 am »

Along with the weight advantage (better flywheel and added stability combined with the SDS) it has provided, IMO, an ever so 'blacker'. ie. quieter resolution to the recording. While exspensive I did re-coup $400 with the sale of the stock platter.

Would the amount of money you spent to upgrade your Aries III equalize or almost the same cost of a VPI TNT-HRX? How about the sound would beat the TNT-HRX too? I would like to know. Thanks.

Tan

jpv

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2008, 04:02 am »
I have the Scoutmaster, one of the biggest changes as vibration control. I had a sand box I used for my HW-19 I put the table on. With the Scout being suspensionless, the table needs to be isolated as much as possible. I built a separate platform for the motor for further isolation. It will make the records quieter.
 I also have the SDS and find it helpful.

tanchiro58

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2008, 05:59 am »
I have the Scoutmaster, one of the biggest changes as vibration control. I had a sand box I used for my HW-19 I put the table on. With the Scout being suspensionless, the table needs to be isolated as much as possible. I built a separate platform for the motor for further isolation. It will make the records quieter.
 I also have the SDS and find it helpful.

You are absolutely right about the vibration control. I thought I put my Scout on a maple block which is enough to control the vibration when the motor run but actually it was not enough because I tapped on the table and still heard the noise came through the whole system loudly (especially the speakers). Then I have tried to put under each individual foot of the TT with a small piece of ebony wood and two under the motor. Surprisingly the noise is gone once I tried to tap again. My music sounds much more resolution and loud without blurring distortion.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:21 pm »
Wow - great looking deck, Tan!

Didn't know VPI made Aries in colors....love the huge slab of red.

John

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm »
Would the amount of money you spent to upgrade your Aries III equalize or almost the same cost of a VPI TNT-HRX? How about the sound would beat the TNT-HRX too? I would like to know. Thanks.

Tan

I've never listened to the HRX so I really can't say, but even with the 'net' amount of money spent for the upgrades on my Aries the only real advantage the HRX would have would be ...dual flyweight motor and longer tonearm, both of which would be min. at best IMO, given my SDS unit and Super Platter, the longer arm on the HRX can be argued back and forth vs. the 10.5i that I have.

FWIW, I have NO plans to trade my set-up for an HRX.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:28 pm »
 :D  that Sweet Red is a home job,right ?? way better than plain old blk.... :D

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:37 pm »
Hey there Dave,

It's Tuan...I still hope you're enjoying my cables still and that was part of the upgrade as well!  :thumb: :thumb:  I can say that having the Scout, I put a Gingko Cloud 10 underneath it, and well, that much better, dark backgrounds, better bass control as well as more details...and that is a cheap upgrade considering it's only $349.

Also, I am thinking about getting a Aries 2...with the jmw 10.5 arm...perhaps tonight from a local seller!
but only thing is my cloud 10 and dust cover for the scout won't fit, so, I'll have to find a home for them, as well as the scout itself!!!

Of course, I use my own DIY cables throughout and things sounds great to my tastes...that, was an upgrade and $$$ SAVINGS!!!!

Tuan
I

Tan

I've never listened to the HRX so I really can't say, but even with the 'net' amount of money spent for the upgrades on my Aries the only real advantage the HRX would have would be ...dual flyweight motor and longer tonearm, both of which would be min. at best IMO, given my SDS unit and Super Platter, the longer arm on the HRX can be argued back and forth vs. the 10.5i that I have.

FWIW, I have NO plans to trade my set-up for an HRX.

tanchiro58

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:47 pm »
Wow - great looking deck, Tan!

Didn't know VPI made Aries in colors....love the huge slab of red.

John

Very Happy  that Sweet Red is a home job,right ?? way better than plain old blk.... Very Happy

Hi Gents,

Actually it is custom paint. It looks much better in real.  :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2008, 05:25 pm »
Heck - don't know why VPI doesn't offer colors - they should be at a point of production 'scale' now where implementing it wouldn't add cost.  It looks really nice - it does  :thumb:

John

tanchiro58

« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2008, 06:22 pm »
Heck - don't know why VPI doesn't offer colors - they should be at a point of production 'scale' now where implementing it wouldn't add cost.  It looks really nice - it does  :thumb:

John

Thanks John.

That is why I choose to purchase this TT over the Scoutmaster TT.  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2008, 06:33 pm »
Tan, I wonder if someone can make a business doing this?  :scratch:
well, maybe not a business but a side gig to get extra Audio $$$...  :duh: