AliG

arthurs

Re: Analogue Heaven!!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:23 am »
That's pretty friggin cool!   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:32 am »
There is a music reproduction museum in his listening room!  Pretty interesting.  It looks to be all mono too. 

I do see some digital playback equipment in there.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:57 am »
Hey!

Woooooooow!  :o I would love to hear those machines.

Those three big floor standing 78 rpm gramophon are British made "His Master's Voic" (HMV) from '20s to early '30s I think. Those triangle and round pieces of bamboo woods are use as needle to play back those acoustical 78 rpm record instead of steel needle. Those lovely machine look like they are in minty condition. :D

He even got Edison cylinder phonograph machine. Cool! :cool: And what look like a French made Pathe vertical cut record player with horn.

Look like he is playing a 78 disc on his EMT turntable.

I'm amazed of the condition of those lovely old machine. I'm sure he got them restored. But still :D Man! If I could visit him I will like a kid in a candy store :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2008, 12:41 pm »
 :D  i was wondering what those triangles and pencils were for,good one SM. very sweet old gear,that one drive belt is the size of a fan belt off a small car !! :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2008, 02:03 pm »
Did anyone notice the JRDG Concentra II in the middle of all those incredible antiques? Were there any tubes anywhere?

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2008, 02:15 pm »
Were there any tubes anywhere?

Yep:

Pretty cool pics, thanks!

acwd1950

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2008, 02:32 pm »
As it is very early in the morning and Im still asleep! I have a question why three arms on the Thoren? Different needles for different record speeds? Never seen anything like that before! Looks like LOTS of cash has been spent on those beauties!!

Steve

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2008, 02:33 pm »
As it is very early in the morning and Im still asleep! I have a question why three arms on the Thoren? Different needles for different record speeds? Never seen anything like that before! Looks like LOTS of cash has been spent on those beauties!!

Steve

I would guess one for mono, one for stereo and one for 78's maybe?

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2008, 11:50 pm »
:D  i was wondering what those triangles and pencils were for,good one SM. very sweet old gear,that one drive belt is the size of a fan belt off a small car !! :lol:

Hey! 

Those triangle bamboo needles come up for sale sometime on eBay. Nobody make them anymore so they ain't cheap. Maybe I will try them someday if I got the money for them :roll:

I did tried rounded toothpicks of which I think is bamboo. It works but the point become very dull half way through the old 7" record and so is the sound  :duh: :lol:

Hmmm... this reminded me of my other thread that I haven't got around to write more about it. :D

Anyway, it always make me feel good seeing someone who value those old machines, those old records and taking good care of them for the future generations to see and hear of where audio got started. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:43 pm »
Man! What a collection! When you hear one of the larger 78rpm disc machines you realize that this was the high end reproduction of the 1920's.

jawaka

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2008, 04:47 pm »
wow, great.
I came twice!!
 :drool:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2008, 05:46 pm »
An 'interesting' first post, jawaka  :scratch:

Well, welcome to AC, anyhow...

John