Has anyone used a PS Audio power plant premier power conditioner yet???

HiFiSoundGuy

TONEPUB

I had one in for review and sent it back.

It was one of the bigger models, but I couldn't use it with a decent sized
power amplifier, it restricted dynamics too much.

I've tried the Power Plants a few times and have just never
been a fan.  Plus, because it regenerates your power, it is essentially
a big power amplifier and draws a lot of juice, even when your system
isn't maxed out.

There are a lot of people that swear by the PS, but it's not my cup
of tea at all. 

HiFiSoundGuy

I had one in for review and sent it back.

It was one of the bigger models, but I couldn't use it with a decent sized
power amplifier, it restricted dynamics too much.

I've tried the Power Plants a few times and have just never
been a fan.  Plus, because it regenerates your power, it is essentially
a big power amplifier and draws a lot of juice, even when your system
isn't maxed out.

There are a lot of people that swear by the PS, but it's not my cup
of tea at all. 
  Have you tried out the new Synergistic Research powercell power conditioner or the Blue Circle BC6000 yet?

TONEPUB

Yep, I've tried almost all of them, the new Torus from Bryston (so so),
Hydra from Shunyata (pretty good), BPT, (awful), Audience (not much better)
Richard Grey (dreadful).

I'm still keeping my money (and my system) on Running Springs.
I own five of em.  Two Haleys, A Jaco, A Danielle and the new Dmitri.
(soon to upgrade my Jaco to a Dmitri as well...)

Granted I've been able to get industry disc. but I could get that on the others
too, so it's all relative.  Even at disc., I still have spent a pretty sizeable
chunk of change on RSA.

I like these the best, because its the only one I've yet heard that totally
cleans up the power and does NOTHING to the tonality or dynamics of
my system.  Everything just sounds cleaner and quieter.  That's it.

TheChairGuy

Fabulous Jeff/TONEPUB - thanks for being so frank on these matters.

I've invested much less time, but found some of the same.  The PS Audio (300 model, so perhaps the newest iteneration adds less problems) was a bad time for me.  The BPT-2 (Signature) was beneficial, but problematic, too.  The Brickwall (hi-current one) was partly acceptable...only used for dedicated CD/digital use.

The Monster Cable Powerbar (can't remember the model) was banished to the video system as it does improve picture I feel....to the severe detriment of audio (I'm not a videophile so it doesn't bother me)

The Audience aR1p actually gave me pause recently....it didn't screw things up to noticeably .  I've ended up using it on the CD/digital feed only...where it's being put to beneficial use.

Why do you own many Running Springs units (different systems)?  Is there a one-box solution for all of one's gear (without power limiting, etc)?

Thx, John

TONEPUB

Hi John:

Yes, I have three systems...

My living room system is pretty modest and also features the Red Wine Audio
30.2 (no power conditioning needed there!) so I just have one Haley on that
system.

Main system has a 20 amp dedicated circuit for my CJ Premier 350 amplifier.
The Martinlogan Summits and Descent i are plugged into a Haley on a 15 amp
line and the main gear (preamps, phono preamps, turntables and disc players)
are on another 20 amp circuit with the new Dmitri.

Secondary system has a Danielle on a 15 amp line.  I don't have a huge power
draw here, but because I have a lot of components in that system for testing,
the 12 outlets really come in handy.

The Jaco, Danielle or Dmitri will work as a one box solution. The Haley will work
fine with smaller amps as a whole system solution, but it is rated at 15 amp instead
of 20, so you can't have a big (larger than about 100 wpc power amp) and expect it
to take care of your whole system, but the other three will do just fine.

I just had the luxury of having separate power circuits for everything when I built
the place, so I decided to go all out!

Syrah

Hey Jeff.   I think the question was about the Power Plant Premier.  It does not come in different powers, those were the former P300, P500, P1200.  The PPP is a different beast.  Not to say you would like it any more than the former versions, just that it sounds like you haven't tried it.

jwes

I've got a Power Plant Premier, and it really makes a great difference.  It is most noticeable when you remove it in my view.  We had to change things around to make the house look better to put on the market, and without, we just didn't want to listen to the system.  And I get relatively clean power that doesn't fluctuate more that 2 volts from 120.

Having said this, I'm really interesting in the LessLoss power cable.  Has anyone put a LessLoss into a PPP by PS Audio?  Since it is a regenerator, I don't think the PPP actually restricts anything, like a filter would.  So it seems to me the LessLoss would be great into that (plugging into my ModWright Transporter).

TONEPUB

Hey Jeff.   I think the question was about the Power Plant Premier.  It does not come in different powers, those were the former P300, P500, P1200.  The PPP is a different beast.  Not to say you would like it any more than the former versions, just that it sounds like you haven't tried it.

This one:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/premier_power_plant.asp

That's the one I sent back..  Heard all the other ones, didn't much care for them, but
Dave Kakenmeister their sales guy is really a good  guy so I told him Id give it a listen.

However their DAC and Phono pre that are each about 1000 bucks each are quite
good!  Really impressive.  I've still got my original Digital Link and it works!

HiFiSoundGuy

I'm going to get a Furman Sound IT-Reference 20i later on....some say this is the best power conditioner you can buy.  Here's the lowest price on these..... http://www.veluxtechnology.com $2,488.88 ...   1-877-811-5066
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm by HiFiSoundGuy »

rydenfan

I'm going to get a Furman Sound IT-Reference 20i later on....some say this is the best power conditioner you can buy.  Here's the lowest price on these..... http://www.veluxtechnology.com $2,488.88 ...   1-877-811-5066

My understanding is that the new Powercell from Synergistic Research and the Audience AR12 are perhaps the two finest conditioners on the market. I currentl have the RSA Danielle, but I would like to find out more about the Dimitri...

HiFiSoundGuy

Here's a review on the Furman IT-Reference 20i..... http://www.hometheatermag.com/accessories/607furman/

rydenfan

Here's a review on the Furman IT-Reference 20i..... http://www.hometheatermag.com/accessories/607furman/

I do not wish to sound antagonistic in any way, but I would not consider home theater mag a reliable source for power conditioner reviews.

IronLion

I do not wish to sound antagonistic in any way, but I would not consider home theater mag a reliable source for power conditioner reviews.

Yeah the author was a skeptic of power conditioners before receiving the Furman and it was obviously the first he had ever reviewed.  Not the best place for comparisons or in-depth analysis of a component's value and performance.