With a clean slate.....

Spirit

• Volunteer
With a clean slate.....
« on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:11 am »
I have absolutely no knowledge of Music Servers other than what I have read.
I have not ripped any of my CDs to a hard drive.
I have a completely clean slate.  I want to enter the ominous world of discless audio.
I would cherish some direction from you, the experts, on this subject.
Here are my parameters:
1:  My computer is not close to my audio system.
2:  High-end audio quality is paramount.
3:  Ease of use is important.
4:  Video is not important.
I know that the Squeezebox products are popular but I am not sure if this is the route to go.
PS Audio's Paul McGowan in his latest July newsletter describes his admiration for a server that he assembled using an Apple iTouch as a remote, with an Apple TV as a server.
I find a lot of this very overwhelming and I am afraid to start the process.
Any direction would be great.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
Re: With a clean slate.....
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:19 am »
Hi Spirit,

No one can tell you what to buy and I won't.  All I can tell you is that the only computer-based approach that I have personally heard and tested that can really, truly equal or better true high-end CD playback systems is the Modwright Transporter.  Like mine, it can work far from your computer.  When I get time to update my iphone, I will be able to use the iphone as a remote and see my music lists complete with album art and fully operate the TP.

See if there is someone in your area and give one a listen.  Let your own ears decide.  Besides sound, one advantage of the Transporter versus Squeezebox is that the TP works at 24/96, preserving your option to play hi-res downloads when they become more readily available.

The bad news is that you might need to wait about a month for a unit after ordering.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:31 am »
Hi Spirit,

No one can tell you what to buy and I won't.  All I can tell you is that the only computer-based approach that I have personally heard and tested that can really, truly equal or better true high-end CD playback systems is the Modwright Transporter.  Like mine, it can work far from your computer.  When I get time to update my iphone, I will be able to use the iphone as a remote and see my music lists complete with album art and fully operate the TP.

See if there is someone in your area and give one a listen.  Let your own ears decide.  Besides sound, one advantage of the Transporter versus Squeezebox is that the TP works at 24/96, preserving your option to play hi-res downloads when they become more readily available.

The bad news is that you might need to wait about a month for a unit after ordering.

JerryM:
Thanks for the reply. 
This is how I hope to get the ball rolling.
Did you compare the MW Transporter to a modded SB?
I wasn't aware that the iphone could be used as a remote for the Transporter.  Can it also be used with the Squeezebox models?

Jerrym303

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:52 am »
Yes and yes.   I went the modded SB3 route first.  I spent plenty, but not as much as the MW Transporter costs.  I played my CDs rather than the SB3 except for background music.  With the MW Transporter, my Cd transport is gathering dust.

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2008, 12:24 pm »
I use a dedicated Mac Mini and itunes to manage my music.  Very easy to use - simple.  I use a couple of squeezeboxes (wireless via apple airport extreeme) to play the music.  I use external DACs on both to improve the sound.  I also recommend upgrading the power supply.  I use CoverScout software to copy album art to the tags used by the squeezeboxes. 

Also, I recently upgraded my remote to a Pronto TSU-9400.  It has wireless capibilities.  I now control my squeezeboxes with ProntoSqueeze software - similar to the duet remote, but very fast.  The build quality of the Pronto is amazing.  It is a blast to use.  I would recommend the remote to anyone using a duet, squeezebox or transporter.  i have mine controlling everything I own and my wife loves it.

Jerrym303

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2008, 08:04 pm »
The pronto sounds great.  I would add that I ran my modded SB3 from analog and through an excellent Accustic Arts DAC.  I still prefer the sound of the MW Transporter.