Dessert suggestions?

Tim S

Dessert suggestions?
« on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:16 pm »

I'm having some people over for dinner on saturday and it usually isn't a problem for me to come up with good menu ideas, but for a variety of reasons I'm just feeling completely uninspired right now and can't come up with anything.  :scratch: I'm probably going to do some short ribs braised in wine for the main course and I'll probably make some sort of soup before that. The people coming over are of the foodie type so I want to do something interesting, but as I said I am feeling completely uninspired. I have a bottle of Port I was thinking of breaking out for the dessert so ideas that would work with it would be great. I can cook pretty much anything I have a recipe for, but due to time constraints I don't want anything completely overboard on time requirements. Thanks!

Tim

jrebman

Re: Dessert suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:22 pm »
Tim,

If it were me and wanted to keep it simple, that bottle of port, some Stilton and some tart apple wedges would be just the ticket.  Sometimes I think I could live on this, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when somebody presents something like this for dessert.

-- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:27 pm »
I was unaware how a bottle of Port I was different than a normal wine.  After some reading I learned something new today, thank you for that Tim. 

This read may be helpful to you:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cooking_basics/95748/2

I say go with a cheesecake.

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:07 pm »
Port and nuts are always a great combination and I think Port is one of the few wines that can hold up to chocolate.  You could make chocolate pecan pie.  When I don't want to fuss, I just buy one of those pre-made pie crusts. Mix the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, nuts and chipped chocolate together, fire in some dark rum - toss it in the pie crust and bake. I particularly like it because you can make it ahead of time.  I prefer really dark chocolate. Once made, you can put dark chocolate chips in the microwave with some butter, melt, stir and decorate the top of the pie with chocolate ganache swirls. You can substitute pecans with walnuts if you want more tannic bite with the port.

Failing that, walnuts, stilton, grapes, figs... and Port are just one of those perfect combinations.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2008, 04:50 pm »
I remember reading (on foodnetwork.com) a dessert recipe of pear halves cooked in port.  Sounds like something foodies would love!  You could easily search it.

gitarretyp

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2008, 05:13 pm »
Summer Berry Pie is one of my favorite summer desserts.

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2008, 08:13 pm »
I make a phyllo-wrapped pear that I hollow out and stuff with walnuts and Stilton before baking. I serve it with a port reduction. They're very easy to make and can be done ahead of time, then baked off to order. If you're interested, I can give you more details. The chocolate-pecan pie also sounds great.  :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2008, 10:32 pm »
If you make the pecan pie, substitute a few tablespoons of molasses for part of the corn syrup. Not too much or it will be heavy. It gives a nice density and that certain "jeune ne sais quoi" that will have your guests intrigued.

Tim S

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:30 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not much of a pecan pie person but the pear suggestions were quite good. I've done pears poached in a mixture of a bottle of riesling and a vanilla bean several times and that is quite good. The bottle of Port is too good for cooking with though (it's a Quinta do Noval from the 80's, I highly recommend anything from that Port house). The phyllo wrapped pear does sound great so if you post details I will likely try it in the future.

I ended up browsing around places and came across this, a Dulce de Leche and Chocolate bread pudding:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DULCE-DE-LECHE-AND-CHOCOLATE-CHUNK-BREAD-PUDDING-241630

Sounds great and chocolate and caramel both should be a great match for the Port.

Tim

some young guy

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2008, 04:54 pm »

It's pretty simple really... Let the Stilton come to room temp. Toast some walnuts until they're starting to brown inside. Once the walnuts are cool, combine them with the cheese. With a melon-baller, hollow out a pear from the bottom and stuff the empty cavity with the cheese-walnut mixture. Repeat this process until all the pears are stuffed. Next, roll out your phyllo and cover three layers with clarified butter and a little granulated sugar, then wrap the pears starting from the bottom. Brush the wrapped pear with clarified butter and refrigerate until you're ready to bake them. They must be refrigerated for at least an hour so the cheese has time to chill properly or it will melt too much when baked.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2008, 05:10 pm »
OH DEAR GO....................

fainted, it looks so beautiful....

bummrush

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:15 pm »
Blueberries,strawberries,whipped cream and angel food cake.

Tim S

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:40 pm »

Looks very good. How long do they bake and what temp?

some young guy

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:53 pm »

Looks very good. How long do they bake and what temp?

It's been a while, but I beleive I baked them at 375 for about... until they're brown. Figure 15-20 minutes.

Andrikos

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2008, 07:59 pm »
My vote is for Some Young Guy for Gourmet of the Year!
Your photography is excellent too!
Are you a professional chef?

some young guy

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2008, 08:31 pm »
My vote is for Some Young Guy for Gourmet of the Year!
Your photography is excellent too!
Are you a professional chef?

Thanks! I'm a stay at home dad currently, but I spent 15 years in professional kitchens before "they" arrived.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2008, 10:14 pm »
What is the sauce underneath the pear? Looks good!

some young guy

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2008, 11:11 pm »
What is the sauce underneath the pear? Looks good!
It's the port reduction that I mentioned earlier. I think I dry caramelized some granulated sugar, then added ruby port and half a Tahitian vanilla bean.