Determining value of hard to find vinyl

arthurs

Determining value of hard to find vinyl
« on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:52 am »
Anyone know who could help me do this?  As an example I have a very tough to find double album of Roger Waters "Amused to Death" mastered direct to lacquer from original analogue tapes with booklet and all.  Cover has a dent in one corner but is otherwise immaculate and the vinyl itself has only been played twice and is pristine.  This would be a showpiece for vinyl fanatics with the rig to show it off.... 

Anyone know someone who can steer me in the right direction on finding out what this is worth?  and a couple of others...

Thanks for any help....

Lyndon

Re: Determining value of hard to find vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:01 am »
It has been years since I read it, but doesn't the mag Goldmine still exist?  And don't they publish catalogs of different genres, and list some prices from the grade of the record?

It is whatever the market will bear.  When I worked at a record store, we sold a promo copy of John Lennon's Instant Karma, a 45, for over
a hundred dollars.  It was up on the wall for only an afternoon.
One of my favorite acquisitions was a white vinyl copy of the Stones Beggars Banquet.  Not as good a sound as virgin vinyl, but it sure looked good under the Empire black and gold cartridge. :green:

cryoparts

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:01 am »
Art,

Do you have the 180g LP?  Or do you have a test lacquer?

Peace,

Lee

Anyone know who could help me do this?  As an example I have a very tough to find double album of Roger Waters "Amused to Death" mastered direct to lacquer from original analogue tapes with booklet and all.  Cover has a dent in one corner but is otherwise immaculate and the vinyl itself has only been played twice and is pristine.  This would be a showpiece for vinyl fanatics with the rig to show it off.... 

Anyone know someone who can steer me in the right direction on finding out what this is worth?  and a couple of others...

Thanks for any help....

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:08 am »
I have LP's that are priceless; I would never, ever sell them. What price would entice you to part with this fine piece of audiophile history, right now?

That's what it's worth!   :thumb:

Just MHO,

Jerry

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:09 am »
Hey!

Have you checked eBay? Especially past auction. See if this ever come up for sale there in the past few months.

If not than maybe someone here know a vinyl guy who know.

Good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:09 am »
IIRC a Waters Amused like you have sold for $338 on audiogon not too long ago

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:13 am »
There is the original Holland pressed 180g LP that goes for upwards of $400-$800:

http://www.musicstack.com/album/roger+waters/amused+to+death

However, apparently, there is a fake German pressing floating around out there as well.

However, if you have a test lacquer and not the 180g LP, there's no telling how much it would go for.  A lot, methinks. 

Lee

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:16 am »
Art,

Peace,

Lee

Thanks for any help....

Hey Lee!  Off topic, can you drop me an e-mail? I need to talk about some potential business with you!

Here's the sticker from the original cover I'm not sure which it is.  I'll have to look a bit closer...

arthurs

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:17 am »

Thanks David, I think that was the gold CD though, but it did get me to thinking about this....

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:19 am »

Thanks David, I think that was the gold CD though, but it did get me to thinking about this....

Really?  I have two copies of that CD.  Good grief.

Lee

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:20 am »
I have LP's that are priceless; I would never, ever sell them. What price would entice you to part with this fine piece of audiophile history, right now?

That's what it's worth!   :thumb:

Just MHO,

Jerry

Great point Jerry!  I'm more of a casual vinyl guy versus a vinylphile though, nor a collector of vinyl, so I'm trying to let the market help me set that bar a bit...

cryoparts

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:20 am »
That's the 180g vinyl.  Look around the label and see if it is made in Holland.  If so, you have at least a $400 LP in your collection.

E-mail sent.

Lee

Art,

Peace,

Lee

Thanks for any help....

Hey Lee!  Off topic, can you drop me an e-mail? I need to talk about some potential business with you!

Here's the sticker from the original cover I'm not sure which it is.  I'll have to look a bit closer...

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:33 am »
http://www.gemm.com/

Gemm is a good resource as well.

Peace,

Lee

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:59 am »
Not to go off topic, and well within 'the value of hard to find vinyl, I have a ton of old LP's from late '70's radio shows. There was maybe 600 of each of these LP's pressed, total. Exactly 480 went to radio stations, the others were liberated by Q/A Techs and nightshift pressmen.  :thumb:
These are GREAT old radio show LP's. I have "The History of Rock and Roll Guitar", narrated by Dick Clark. There is not a single part that doesn't rock. It is a 100 LP set. Promo sheet and reverse nickel stamper as part of the set.
An 80 LP set of Platinum Meltdown from the BBC Rock Hour. Unbelievable to listen to now. It also includes the stampers and promo sheets.
Another is a full 52 weeks of Jim Ladd's "Innerview" radio show from the old KMET days. This includes the Jerry Garcia session. All 52 promo sheets and reversed stampers, too.
The reversed stampers are cool to look at, but no good to listen to unless you have a turntable that spins backwards and a coil that likes solid nickel.
Aside from my previous answer of ones own willingness to part with very cool things, does a price-point exist for vinyl like this, too?
Thanks for making me wonder, arthurs,   :lol:
Jerry

cryoparts

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2008, 03:06 am »
Wow, those sound really cool. 

I don't know the value of items like that as they are really obscure/rare stuff.  Call Scot Markwell at "The Music", or Chad at "Acoustic Sounds", one of them should know, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. 

Or, to keep things in the AC "family", see if Jeff at Tone Audio knows someone--he knows everyone!   :lol:

It might fetch a pretty penny.  There's always that one collector out there that is looking to complete his collection and will pay almost anything to do so.  Be cool if that was the case with these! 

Peace,

Lee

Not to go off topic, and well within 'the value of hard to find vinyl, I have a ton of old LP's from late '70's radio shows. There was maybe 600 of each of these LP's pressed, total. Exactly 480 went to radio stations, the others were liberated by Q/A Techs and nightshift pressmen.  :thumb:
These are GREAT old radio show LP's. I have "The History of Rock and Roll Guitar", narrated by Dick Clark. There is not a single part that doesn't rock. It is a 100 LP set. Promo sheet and reverse nickel stamper as part of the set.
An 80 LP set of Platinum Meltdown from the BBC Rock Hour. Unbelievable to listen to now. It also includes the stampers and promo sheets.
Another is a full 52 weeks of Jim Ladd's "Innerview" radio show from the old KMET days. This includes the Jerry Garcia session. All 52 promo sheets and reversed stampers, too.
The reversed stampers are cool to look at, but no good to listen to unless you have a turntable that spins backwards and a coil that likes solid nickel.
Aside from my previous answer of ones own willingness to part with very cool things, does a price-point exist for vinyl like this, too?
Thanks for making me wonder, arthurs,   :lol:
Jerry

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2008, 03:21 am »
Thank you for the 'cool' leads, Lee.  :thumb:  I'll let you know what I find out.

Have fun,
Jerry

cryoparts

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2008, 05:59 am »
You bet!   :thumb:

Reading over the above thread, I realized that I've used up my allotment of "cools" for the year now.   :duh:

Look out, I'm breaking out 'gnarly' , 'rad' and 'wicked' tomorrow.   aa

Peace,

Lee

Thank you for the 'cool' leads, Lee.  :thumb:  I'll let you know what I find out.

Have fun,
Jerry

arthurs

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:26 pm »
Thaks for all the tips guys, much appreciated.

I'm gonna 'chill' and do a bit of research to determine best path forward.

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2008, 05:36 pm »
Gemm is frequently overpriced, just because people are trying to get that price for their records doesn't mean that they in fact will.

Here is the best site I know of for gauging the true worth of your vinyl:

http://www.popsike.com/