OB-7 Plus question

jlemke

OB-7 Plus question
« on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:25 am »
I'm building an OB-7 Plus pair as my son's college graduation present, and I have a question for Danny or anyone else who's worked with the SW12B subs -- how do you mount them? I've tried removing the gasket and screwing that into the rabbeted opening, but couldn't get the sub itself back in without pulling the gasket off the screw heads. I'm tempted to remove the screws, replace the gasket on the frames, and put a bead of adhesive in the rabbet before dropping the whole shebang in place. Or do I just need to use screws with larger heads? If the latter, is there a trick to putting the driver back in place?

(For those who are mystified by my problems, the thing I'm calling a gasket has a U-shaped cross section. It fits tightly around the circumference of the frame and extends over both front and back of the flange. And it's awfully thick...)

Thanks for any help -- John

soewhatman

Re: OB-7 Plus question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:51 am »
I recently built a pair of subs with the sw12b drivers, and my gaskets had holes in the face that corresponded to the holes on the driver's metal frame.  I made sure the gasket holes were aligned to the holes in the driver frame and pushed the whole assembly into the rabbeted opening.  If you got a gasket without screw holes you may have a problem, which I'm sure Danny will take care of.  Of course the easiest fix would be to carefully drill some holes through the gasket at the right locations, and on the face side make sure the holes are large enough so the head of whatever screw you use passes through.

Rick.

jlemke

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:59 am »
Thanks -- that was just what I needed to double check the frames again -- and whoops! -- there are holes I didn't feel the first time around.

A bit of embarrassment is actually a pretty good thing right now!

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2008, 05:40 pm »
Sounds like problem solved. If you need anything else feel free to post another question. This is now your thread. But for every question you ask you have to post pics of your project during the build process.  :wink: