Your best version of a steak & cheese

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Your best version of a steak & cheese
« on: 28 Jul 2008, 07:15 pm »
In New England we call it a steak & cheese.  I know you Philly guys call it a cheese steak and some call it a steak bomb.  However one chooses to say it, does any one have a unique approach they would like to share?  Please don't forget to mention your chose of bread.  I am looking to eat like a king this week.

Andrikos

Re: Your best version of a steak & cheese
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:01 am »
Well, I'm not a cheesesteak expert buy any time I want to make something new I go to Mr. Alton Brown

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chain-of-bull-cheese-steaks-recipe/index.html

Very rarely does he miss. Alton's the man! ;)

Chain of Bull Cheese Steaks
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
1 trimmed chain section from a beef tenderloin, approximately 6 to 8 ounces*
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, julienned
2 hoagie rolls
2 ounces grated Mimolette cheese

Cook's Note: *Add any leftovers scraps from other parts of the tenderloin that you like

Remove the beef from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.

Preheat a grill pan over high heat.

Lightly pound the chain with a smooth meat mallet until it is even thickness throughout. Toss the meat with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Once the grill pan is hot, place the chain on the pan and cook on both sides until cooked through, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. If necessary, cut the chain in half or thirds to fit on the pan. Remove the chain from the grill and wrap in aluminum foil. Allow to rest while the onions are cooking.

Add remaining teaspoon of oil to grill pan and saute the onions on the grill until they are tender and beginning to brown, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.

Slice the beef into small strips and divide evenly among the hoagie rolls. Pour any juice from the meat onto the hoagie as well. Top the meat with the cheese, followed by the onions. Wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil for 10 minutes and serve.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
User Rating:   5 Stars