Squeezebox SB3 Output Level Adjustment?

calbear81

Squeezebox SB3 Output Level Adjustment?
« on: 28 Jul 2008, 02:09 am »
I did a few searches and didn't come up with a clear answer so I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to adjust the SB3 output level.

When I switch between 2 of my other sources (tuner and cd player) their levels are fairly consistent but going to the SB3, I always have to increase the amp volume level dramatically.  Needless to say, I've had a few switches from SB3 > Tuner that resulted in insanely loud radio playing and me scrambling for the dial.

I saw the "fixed output" option in the devices options in SqueezeCenter but when I changed it and applied and restarted the player, nothing seems to have changed.  I also wasn't sure if that would eliminate my problem. 

Thanks!

Roger

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
Re: Squeezebox SB3 Output Level Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2008, 02:36 am »
Hi,

If you have the volume fully turned up, that is the same as the fixed level.

Have any mods been done?  Some can reduce the volume and increase the output impedance.

If it bugs you, one answer (not the cheapest) is to add a buffer with some gain.  Wayne at Boulder Cable can modify a Burson Buffer to any gain level that best matches the rest of your system.  In the process, the SB3 sound will move another level.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2008, 04:13 am »
Modified by installing a Newava digital interface into your SB3 and building a Felix+high quality of switching PS ( i found this sound much better than my DIY linear PS too) would help to solve your problem.

mikef

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:32 am »
Modified by installing a Newava digital interface into your SB3 and building a Felix+high quality of switching PS ( i found this sound much better than my DIY linear PS too) would help to solve your problem.

What are you using as the high quality switching power supply? Is it something you built, or a commercial product?

Mike Fox

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm »
What are you using as the high quality switching power supply? Is it something you built, or a commercial product?

Yes it is a commercial product.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2008, 01:04 pm »
I did a few searches and didn't come up with a clear answer so I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to adjust the SB3 output level.

When I switch between 2 of my other sources (tuner and cd player) their levels are fairly consistent but going to the SB3, I always have to increase the amp volume level dramatically.  Needless to say, I've had a few switches from SB3 > Tuner that resulted in insanely loud radio playing and me scrambling for the dial.

I saw the "fixed output" option in the devices options in SqueezeCenter but when I changed it and applied and restarted the player, nothing seems to have changed.  I also wasn't sure if that would eliminate my problem. 

Thanks!

Roger

Assuming that you are running the SB3 via the analog outs, you should just be able to use the volume up/down on the SB3 remote...

mikef

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2008, 02:22 pm »

Yes it is a commercial product.

You know I'm going to ask this - what is the product you're using? Where did you get it?

Thanks

Mike Fox