VDA-2 with "High Def Tape Transfers"

Images

VDA-2 with "High Def Tape Transfers"
« on: 28 Jul 2008, 01:09 am »
I don't own a Squeezebox, a Duet, (a Transporter) or any other digital audio candy from Slim Devices/Logitech, Modwright, and so on.  I only have a vague idea of what can be done to mary my desktop or laptop to my 2 channel system.  However, that 2 channel system has employed Dusty's D-100 mono bloc for about 1.5 years now.  They have proved to be a very worthwhile investment. 

Now, if I am going to enter the realm of PC audio, I have to look at Dacs.  Truth is, I want to buy Dusty's VDA-2.  I am sure I would not be disappointed.  The VDA-2 has no provision for USB input.  I suppose this could be remidied by investing in an adapter such as the HagUsb Converter.  Anybody think this is a good (or  bad) idea? 

The other point that confuses me is the entirety of High Definition play back.  Here is a recent Positive Feedback article praising HDTT, http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/HDTT.htm.  The files available here appeal to me in that I listen almost entirely to classical music.  I have had one experiecne downloading a FLAC file from the Philedelphia Orchestra website.  I converted this to a WAV and burned a CD to play in my Tube Research Labs modified disc-spinning thingie.  (As you might gather, I am growing weary of all the different formats, playback devices, and 2nd or 3rd generation releases of the same, etc. -- truth is, I was happiest with HDCD compact discs from Reference Recordings in the 90's... and I still like them!)  Anyway, the Philadelphia download was successfual and impressive.  Now, HDTT offers, among other things, 24/96 FLAC downloads.  Ok, what do I do with these?  Perhaps, with some software, I can convert this FLAC to the appropriate file for high definintion playback on a DVD machine.  Does that have to be DVD Audio?  I would think so.  If so, I am not aware of a PC that burns DVD audio.  Here is the better solution on three fronts: sonically, ease of use and ease on the pocket book.  NO DISC.  Let's burn no disc at all. Instead, I join the 21st century and use a PC source (meaning hard drive) directly to the 2 channel system. (For now, let's disregard storage with backup, as well as the user interface concerns.) Thus we come back to the DAC, specically the VDA-2.  Simply, will it convert a 24/96 input???

If not, well the heck with it.  I will just stick with redbook and use a Usb-equipped Mhdt DAC, which lists for the same purchase price as the VDA-2, but I won't need to invest in the Hag-Usb converter.  Excuse me, is my old-fogeyness showing?  As always, your input is welcome and invited.  Any pointers (possibly to another thread), advice, or lectures you care to offer will be gladly received.   

BradJudy

Re: VDA-2 with "High Def Tape Transfers"
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2008, 01:43 am »
Any PC with a DVD burner can burn a DVD-A disc with the right software like Discwelder.  I haven't done it, but HAL here has. 

To playback 24/96 directly from your computer via USB to your VDA-2, you will need a USB digital audio device that will pass 24/96.  This is important because most of them are limited to 16/44(or 48).  I believe the HagUSB and other PCM270x-based devices have this limitation.  There are a number of pro-audio USB and firewire devices designed to handle 24/96 and I'm sure many of them can output the digital you want.  However, there may be other limitations (for example, I recently learned that the popular EMU 0404 USB will only output digital if the application supports ASIO output, which the pro audio apps generally do, but consumer ones usually don't.)

Dusty will have to answer for certain, but I think the VDA-2 can handle a 24/96 PCM signal if you can get it to the DAC. 

BobMajor

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2008, 02:11 am »
I am using Dusty's VDA-2 with a computer audio setup. I bought an Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo2 USB to S/PDIF convertor from which the signal goes into the VDA-2. The results are extremely impressive and satisfying. The computer can take standard "redbook" CD information that has been ripped with Exact Audio Copy and stored on a computer hard drive. The computer, using Foobar2000 and a program called Secret Rabbit Code can upsample this data to 24 bit 96 khz. Most people think this sounds better than not upsampling. Alternately you could download high resolution tracks. I haven't found them to be any more impressive than using good CDs. I have quite a number of Reference Recording and they are very nice. I also bought some old recordings remastered by JVC in a process called XRCD. I didn't think they were any great shakes. Ultimately the quality of the original recording is what makes the music sound great when it is processed well.
However, it is felt by most people at the forefront of digital processing that it is better to bypass the S/PDIF format entirely and use a USB DAC that does the whole thing in one box and uses an I2S transfer instead of the S/PDIF that the VDA2 takes.
People who make this type of equipment offer DACs at various price points. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Empirical Audio and Wavelength Audio are at the high end. I think that the TubeDAC also does this for very little money.
I think that rather than spending a lot of money right now I'll stick with Dusty's DAC. Unfortunately, I have to warn you that in ordering the Offramp Turbo2 I had to wait 5 months for delivery and had to pay up front ($1000) before that 5 month countdown started.
I think that computer audio is definitely the way to go both in terms of quality sound and convenience.
Best wishes,
Bob Major

Amiratos

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:21 am »
I agree, in my system I have a VDA-2/VAC-1 who's feeded with a modiffied Oppo 981 as redbook transport or with a Macbook as a Music Server, the USB/SPDIF conversion is with the M-Audio Transit 24/96 interface.

On the other side of the rack I have a Paradisea USB DAC connected to the same Macbook music server and this beats the CI Audio setup..... IMHO.