Is there some where I can take my knife to get sharpened?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Hey gents,

I bought a Global chef's knife used that is too dull for me.  I don't have the required tools (stones) to sharpen the knife myself.  Any suggestions for me?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Is there some where I can take my knife to get sharpened?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:32 am »
Check with the butcher or fish monger at your local market. I think many of them offer that as a complimentary service to their customers. Or while it will cost a bit, check any local large shopping mall for a cutlery outlet. They generally provide the service as well.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:35 am »
Thank you Arthur.  I am going to take your advice.

It didn't occur to me to try a search before I asked my question.  I found this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21636.msg192429;topicseen#msg192429

I am no chef so I will try taking the knife to a place that will help me out.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:47 am »
Buy a diamond (or ceramic for 1/3 of the price) sharpening steel.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-10-Inch-Diamond-Sharpening-Steel/dp/B00005OL4L/ref=pd_sbs_hi_2

Kitchen knives need to be sharpened very often, if you like them sharp. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:40 am »
Buy a diamond (or ceramic for 1/3 of the price) sharpening steel.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-10-Inch-Diamond-Sharpening-Steel/dp/B00005OL4L/ref=pd_sbs_hi_2

Kitchen knives need to be sharpened very often, if you like them sharp. 

2nd that -

Thanks for reminding me I need to get a couple of mine done tf. Even with the ceramic or diamond maintenance stick, in time most eventually need a full blown sharpening.

topround

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:27 am »
I bought my wife a Chef's Choice Diamond sharpener, it is electric and has 3 bays for step by step levels of sharpening. I bought it for my wife for Xmas,(I know not such a good gift idea), but we needed it, our Wustoff knives were so dull they would slip off a tomato instead of slice into it, not anymore, that electric sharpener is great.
We are no cooks in this house so maybe the electric sharpener may be taboo  for some of the higher cooking order, but it works for us.

Then you can sharpen all your knives :duel:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:43 am »
I bought my wife a Chef's Choice Diamond sharpener, it is electric and has 3 bays for step by step levels of sharpening. I bought it for my wife for Xmas,(I know not such a good gift idea), but we needed it, our Wustoff knives were so dull they would slip off a tomato instead of slice into it, not anymore, that electric sharpener is great.
We are no cooks in this house so maybe the electric sharpener may be taboo  for some of the higher cooking order, but it works for us.

Then you can sharpen all your knives :duel:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-316-Diamond-Sharpener/dp/B000FKV96Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1217130257&sr=8-16

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2008, 07:03 am »
I tried the chef's choice diamond sharpener - I hated it.  My friend bought it for his mother because he was tired of free hand sharpening her knives - he was disappointed as well.  I use and recommend the spyderco sharpmaker, as suggested in the previously linked thread.  It takes a little time and patience, but it's easy, and it works without taking off 1/2 a mm of your knife. 

IMO, it is harder to use the chef's choice than it is to use the sharpmaker!

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2008, 12:51 pm »
It takes a little practice to get the feel for the Chef's choice sharpener. when i got mine it took 6 or 7 knives to get the right pull speed ect. I still take a few swipes on my hard black Arkansas stone if i want a super sharp edge. Lot of good choices out there and they all take practice to get good results I also keep one of these in the kitchen

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Superstick-Knife-Sharpener-Sharpening-Ceramic-rod_W0QQitemZ150273684913QQihZ005QQcategoryZ43220QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The chiefs chose saves me time on my medium stone as i really have not found a suitable substitute stones and hand sharpening. YMMV

I tried the chef's choice diamond sharpener - I hated it.  My friend bought it for his mother because he was tired of free hand sharpening her knives - he was disappointed as well.  I use and recommend the spyderco sharpmaker, as suggested in the previously linked thread.  It takes a little time and patience, but it's easy, and it works without taking off 1/2 a mm of your knife. 

IMO, it is harder to use the chef's choice than it is to use the sharpmaker!

KS

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:06 pm »
I like my Chef's Choice sharpener very much.  I'm satisfied with my decision to buy it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:16 pm »
The easiest to use sharpener that I have ever owned was a DMT 8" double diamond stone with an extra fine side and a medium side. The extra fine was 1200 grit and would sharpen to shaving sharpness in just a couple of minutes.  I gave it to my Dad after he commented on how easy it was to get an edge.  Wish I had it back.They run close to $100.

However, I have been sharpening knives for over 45 years, so whetstones are easy for me.  My wife can't/won't use one.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2008, 08:41 pm »
I think the chef's choice is great for removing a lot of metal quickly, but I would definitely prefer to finish and hone the edge on (my choice) the sharpmaker or whetstone, if you prefer.

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:22 pm »
How and what you use to sharpen your knives can be very personal I have a friend who's always trying different thing, He just never could get the hang of using a stone. I think it annoyed him that my knives were always sharper then his. You should see his collection of ceramic sticks , diamond hones he's got a whole cupboard full  :lol:  I keep two set of knives in the house the ones in the kitchen  which any one can use. These  are the ones i sharpen with the chiefs choice. The others various Japanese and German brand i keep safely tucked away and they are lovely hand honed. Like S Clark i started sharpening knives a long time a go and its one of those things that in joy and am very good at. But i refuse to keep knives razor sharp around the house when there are people here that wont look after them properly.

ED

some young guy

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2008, 07:55 pm »
Personally, I use Japanese wet stones for all my knives once or twice a year and a steel to keep them well honed all the time.

Lots of great info. here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

Spidey9534

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2008, 07:40 pm »
I like this Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker a lot.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77