Recommendation needed for the best turn-key iPod - speaker system.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I have promised an "iPod" system for my sister on her birthday.  I was looking at different MP3 players but I am leaning toward getting a real i-pod, Wadia 170i-transport and a pair of active monitors like Quad 11L active.  This would about $1300 with iPod Classic 160GB. 

Can you suggest something else for this budget?  I am not married to any of the gears above.  I just want the most convenient system that will sound the best with the smallest footprint.   

TONEPUB

You will need a DAC for that setup.  The Wadia does not have a DAC built in.  It is merely
a way to get the digital datastream from an iPod.

I'd suggest looking at the B&W Zeppelin.  It's about 600 bucks, does everything and really
rocks.  Also, you have the option to plug a couple additional sources in.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
You will need a DAC for that setup.  The Wadia does not have a DAC built in.  It is merely
a way to get the digital datastream from an iPod.
So the analog out is just a pass through for the ear plugs?  How bad is iPod analog out?  Why the heck did they not build a DAC ?  :scratch:

I'd suggest looking at the B&W Zeppelin.  It's about 600 bucks, does everything and really
rocks.  Also, you have the option to plug a couple additional sources in.

I will look into this one.  Thanks.

I guess I now need a decent DAC with SS output stage.  I don't want tubes since she would forget to turn things off. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
So B&W Zeppelin does DSP which inputs directly to the built-in digital amps that drive the drivers.  No Wadia nor DAC needed, right?  How does it sound? 

Bemopti123

according to most online reviews, the Zeppelin is the best $600 sound system out there geared specifically for the Pods.  The only catch is the stereo separation....but thinking about the quality of sound, I doubt that your sister would notice.  If I did not have all the equipment I presently have, I might be happy with the Zeppelin.

TomS

Maybe a little "lower end" than what you spec'd but I've found the AudioEngine5's to be nearly ideal.  My daughter has them for college dorm use and, along with an Apple Airport Express plugged into the back, they are simple to integrate, few wires, and provide great sound.  The iPod plugs in on top with a dock and you can play wirelessly from iTunes directly to the second input.  The balance on the powered speakers is just right and there is even a sub out if you can't get enough woofage.  Tom

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I have been reading up on all the reviews.  I even looked at pro monitors, PC stuff and Nuforce Icon, too.  You never really know from reviews but I think Zeppelin is the right product for her.  She and I both grew up on opera and classical music and she does appreciate good sound quality.  She wants good sound but doesn't want to be bothered by all the technicalities.  I will be ripping and loading music for her.  I am hoping I can convert my flac. files to ALAC.  If not, MP3 will have to do.

Audioengine 5 looks good and I like that you can separate the two speakers but I don't like that it's using the analog out from the iPod.  There just has to be a lot of compromises built into analog output section in the given space of an iPod.  I like that B & W is taking the digital bits (like Wadia) and processing it directly to feed it's digital amp in the digital domain.

bbaker6212

I'm not much of an IPod user... Aren't there any decent integrated amps with a built in IPod dock?  This B&W football seems over-priced given it's gonna have no imaging abilities at all unless your head is within a foot or two of it.
Wouldn't it be better to just use a normal Ipod doc connected to a good amp?  All the talk of having a digital connection to a DAC, but then connect it to speakers incapable of creating a realistic soundstage or imaging... it just makes no sense to me.

robboe

I just joined AudioCircle this weekend and this is my first post.  I use a 160GB ipod classic with Quad Active 11's in my office.  As long as you burn lossless or better you will be satisfied!.  Sound quality is excellent and stereo imaging is outstanding for something of this price point.  I heard the B & W before I bought the Quads.  It is good but I don't think it holds a candle to the 11's.

Hope this helps!
Robboe

Spidey9534

Another nod for the AudioEngine line, but the A2's for a small foot print and great price. Here's a review link for them paired with an iPod

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Thanks for all the advices.  This is what I ended up with.

ipod classic 160G (new)
Apple universal dock (new)
Quad 11A active (used)

I can connect the speakers to the dock and she can control audio play with the remote that comes with the dock, which will also be the recharger.  Quad used is cheaper than the Zeppelin new (which is the only way to get them right now).  I am thinking Quad 11A should sound better then the Zeppelin if only because I can position the monitors as wide as needed.  I gave Audioengine 5 a serious consideration but the Quads used weren't much more expensive. 
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 07:47 pm by woodsyi »