Videophiles - ISF graphs before and after calibration

Alwayswantmore

Last nigh Chad B got his magic fingers on my G8 42" Pioneer Kuro Elite, and the picture looks great.

I'm not a videophile, so ISF specs are foreign to me, but as far as I can tell Chad got the set almost perfectly aligned with the ISF standard. Before and after graphs below (note the B&A for contrast and blue in RBG tracking).

Chad's site... http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/display_types-direct_view.htm

For most graphs, the red line represents ISF standard, where blue is my set.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Videophiles - ISF graphs before and after calibration
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:47 am »
Did Chad tell you that it takes a few weeks to aclimate yourself to the lower light output? When you've spent a lifetime thinking that the brightest TV is the best, it takes a little time to realize that's not the case. I know that was the case for me 5 years ago when I accused my ISF tech of raping my Sony. 2 weeks later tho I had to apologise. :oops:

Granted today things have gotten better because of public education of the gray scale and ambiant room lighting. Today TV's are coming thru with a more calibrated gray scale so the differences before and after calibration aren't as great as 5 years ago. But I thought I'd just mention it fwiw. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:50 am »
Glad you're happy with the results, AWM.  He'll be here tomorrow morning to work his magic on mine.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:56 am »
Chad calibrated my plasma aswell x-years ago :scratch:.  He drove from Ohio to NY and back :thumb:

Then came back for a follow up visit a year after. :)

I just noticed, his price went up.  Well worth it though.

Cheers,
Levi

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2008, 06:19 am »
I had Jim Doolitle from Boston calibrate my Sony XBR twice, 3 years apart. Jim was highlighted in a Sound & Vision article on ISF Calibrations a few years ago and currently specializes in home theaters.

Cheers,
Robin

superchad

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:45 am »
Where is this guy in Ohio please? Thanks

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2008, 10:48 am »
http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/display_types-direct_view.htm
There's a contact button on the upper left.

AWM - I'm surprised to see the blue is off the scale on the RGB. Wow, just goes to show even a Kuro Elite isn't near perfect out of the box.
So, it took him less than an hour to complete the adjustments? (clock on screen shots).

Chad is the only name that comes up when ISF cal is talked about. He's got one Helluva passion to go to half the states in the country and not charge travel expenses (granted $350 isn't too shabby for an hours worth of work). But this guy certainly has a passion for his work.

Bob

By the way AWM, are you the same fella on the HawthorneAudio forum?

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:54 pm »
Glad you're happy with the results, AWM.  He'll be here tomorrow morning to work his magic on mine.
Thanks Double.

Your words helped steer me to him.

He was here for 2 hours. He's done about 20 Elites, and said Elites go very fast. For one thing all settings are accessible without going into special service menus. Also in Pure mode, once calibrated, all he had to do was validate my BluRay was living up to spec. He made a few menu adjustments on the BluRay allowing it to properly mate with the Kuro.

He was very considerate of my gear -- being very careful as he worked, where he placed his instruments, how he hung the sensor on the screen, etc. So, yes, I would say is did a very good job.

I can see the difference and rest knowing that this is as good as my Pioneer gets.

Kent

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:57 pm »
Yes, but he does travel. He drove from Ohio to just south of Charlotte NC to do mine. Next stop will be Double in Mississippi, I believe. No travel costs.

Sounds like the majority of his work is going to larger cities and doing multiple projects over the course of a week.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2008, 01:04 pm »
AWM - I'm surprised to see the blue is off the scale on the RGB. Wow, just goes to show even a Kuro Elite isn't near perfect out of the box.

I had set my unit based on setting I found in a Review of this model. The review used some automated settings, where Chad did mine in Pure mode, so the other settings may have been better out of the box.

So, it took him less than an hour to complete the adjustments? (clock on screen shots).

The screen shot was before he moved on to the Blu-Ray. He was there for two hours total. Some sets will likely take longer.

By the way AWM, are you the same fella on the HawthorneAudio forum?

Nope. Is someone else using the same ID??? Interesting.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:54 pm »
Ok, thanks for the info. When I get a new bulb for my projector, I'd like to have this guy come out. Missouri is in his "territory", but it might require I find a few more guys in the area to make it worth his travel.
I looked on the Hawthorne site for that ID name and didn't find the exact same name, but it sounds like a name I've seen there.

Bob