Computer current draw at idle

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Computer current draw at idle
« on: 24 Jul 2008, 03:17 pm »
Posted here because the sports bar is closed; figured you guys would know the answer.

I'm considering replacing my awful Sprint service w/ a super-cheapo Magicjack ISP.  For an unrelated cause I recently noticed my 4-5 year old Dell desktop XP (CD & DVD) is labeled 720W on the rear label.  I must assume this is the maximum draw.

What do you guys estimate is the draw at idle?  Can a non-tech easily test & confirm the current draw?

Thanks.

mgalusha

Re: Computer current draw at idle
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:49 pm »
If you want to know for sure what it's drawing the easiest way is to get a Kill A Watt, a nifty little gadget that will measure voltage, current, watts and power factor.

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

I believe they can be had for about $30.

mike

face

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2008, 05:18 am »
Amazon carries two different models starting at $20.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2008, 09:16 am »
Posted here because the sports bar is closed; figured you guys would know the answer.

Why would this be a question for the Sports Bar??? There is a circle for computer-related stuff.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2008, 12:52 pm »
If you want to know for sure what it's drawing the easiest way is to get a Kill A Watt, a nifty little gadget that will measure voltage, current, watts and power factor.

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

I believe they can be had for about $30.

mike

This is a very good device.  I've used it for various items around the house, and sometimes I'm shocked at what draws the most current and what doesn't.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2008, 01:31 pm »
Jim...
Since you mentioned Magicjack....did you happen to read this ??....or this ???

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2008, 08:37 pm »
Wolfy
Didn't see those before, thanks!

I got the MG or MJ or whatever it is, because a certain friend/retired TV audio engineer is um, shall we say, my most value-conscious acquaintance when it comes to consumer electronics.  I've had many conversations w/ him using the MG; some have been absolutely perfect & totally noise free, some not so great.  But it's about free except for the computer power so it must be considered.  We've been spending too much on cell phone service that doesn't even work in my basement.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2008, 12:10 am »
Jim....
I know some people use Skype......I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works.... :scratch:

EchiDna

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2008, 01:47 am »
from the angle of Skype, I use a linksys CIT400 (now superceded) IPhone - yes the original IPhone before IApple decided they owned everything with a letter 'I' at the front...

it is a dual mode telephone, VOIP and landline and connects to your LAN through a switch or router, so no PC needs to be turned on. Calls to almost anywhere in the world cost under 2 cents a minute, cheap, reliable and works just like a normal phone AAND a VOIP phone whenever you choose without leaving the computer on.

since I got the linksys phone, there has been at least 10 other come onto the market.