DPL-15

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
DPL-15
« on: 23 Jul 2008, 07:19 pm »
Kevin,

I'm thinking with a Qts of 0.67, an Fs of 19 Hz, when mounted on an appropriate sized baffle, in a dipole application, you should have good clean response in room without any boost to about 20 Hz. Is this true? What size baffle would you recommend, and I mean just mounting it on an square MDF board that's it...I was thinking of this woofer as an alternative to the Augie in the Hawthorne Audio Duet loudspeaker which uses a 15 inch woofer for the bass.

Link: http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/speakers.htm

Thanks,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

Re: DPL-15
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2008, 05:07 pm »
For the moment, I'd prefer to punt on this question.   

We designed the DPL-15 primarily for the IB subwoofer market.    The parameters lend themselves to be used in either application but OB applications are something where I need to build and measure the results before I'm willing to offer design suggestions.   

There are a number of calculators out there on the web where you can enter speaker parameters and simulate the response.   I just don't have any experience in comparing the simulated results of those calculators with the measured results and I don't like giving advice on how to use something, unless I'm confident in the solution.     

The bottom line is that good designs take a lot more than just slapping drivers together.   It takes system design knowledge and work and the only way to do that is to specify the entire design.   That would include the drivers, crossover and the acoustical environment they are used within (the box or baffle).   For subwoofers that is fairly easy due to the wavelength involved.   Once you get into devices designed to crossover to other transducers up in the midrange, the design becomes much more technically involved and the solution needs to be much more precise, both in terms of acoustical layout and electrical filters involved.   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: DPL-15
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2008, 05:20 am »
The bottom line is that good designs take a lot more than just slapping drivers together.   It takes system design knowledge and work and the only way to do that is to specify the entire design.   That would include the drivers, crossover and the acoustical environment they are used within (the box or baffle).   For subwoofers that is fairly easy due to the wavelength involved.   Once you get into devices designed to crossover to other transducers up in the midrange, the design becomes much more technically involved and the solution needs to be much more precise, both in terms of acoustical layout and electrical filters involved.   

Agreed. I should have specified that this woofer would be used as a real 'woofer' and being crossed at around the 50 -70 Hz range. This is exactly how the Augie is being used in the Duet speaker. It would be best to optimize it in room as the crossover slopes may vary between the Coaxial Unit (i.e. Silver Iris 15 inch Coaxial) and the woofer. The DPL-15's specifications completely outclass the Augie however.

Thanks,
Anand.